New DVC Villas at CBR?

ParentsOf4

I do like @GoofGoof 's speculation of a half "trade in" value if you want to go from a moderate to normal DVC resort.
Yes but is a "trade in" value even needed if Disney follows the model I propose?

The idea is to charge roughly the same purchase price as SSR and OKW ($140/point), have roughly the same Maintenance Fee as the WDW average ($6/point), but then have smaller "value-sized" Studios similar to those at Jambo House.

This drops the buy-in price to less than half of what it currently is at PVB while still maintaining the existing DVC exchange status quo.

Existing DVC members would have no extra incentive to buy at this resort since the purchase price-per-point is the same as SSR or OKW, both of which have at least 39 years left on their existing memberships. Meanwhile, the MF would be higher than SSR. Existing members might like the idea of less expensive, smaller "value" rooms and so might add-on here anyway, but that's no different than non-members.

I've always opinioned that what hurts DVC sales today is the cost of the initial purchase. The pricing structure I propose overcomes this by reducing the points-per-night (by making the rooms smaller) and the dollars-per-point purchase price (by building a moderate hotel priced similar to the existing SSR and OKW). If the MF is similar to the existing WDW average, then these new DVC members are still free to exchange into other existing DVC properties but they'll quickly find that their points won't go as far in the larger rooms at the other DVC Resorts.

For DVC member and non-member alike, such a pricing and room size structure doesn't alter the existing DVC balance.

Am I missing something? Doesn't this approach strike the right balance?

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Yes but is a "trade in" value even needed if Disney follows the model I propose?

The idea is to charge roughly the same purchase price as SSR and OKW ($140/point)...
Am I missing something? Doesn't this approach strike the right balance?

I just think the buy-in needs to be at the same rate as of any new DVC location or else you then run into an issue at the 7-month mark. You then have the potential for one owner who paid direct at $171/point having the same access to deluxe accommodations as an owner who paid direct at $140/point. I still say they can market 80 points at $13680 a lot easier than they can market 160 at $27360 on the premise that you will save if you plan on going to Disney at lest every other year going forward.

ParentsOf4

I just think the buy-in needs to be at the same rate as of any new DVC location or else you then run into an issue at the 7-month mark. You then have the potential for one owner who paid direct at $171/point having the same access to deluxe accommodations as an owner who paid direct at $140/point.
But remember this already happens today.

At 7 months, the person buying direct at PVB for $171/point has the exact access as the person buying direct at SSR for $140/point, SSR's current price.

A direct purchase at SSR costs less today not because Disney doesn't consider SSR to be a Deluxe Resort, but because PVB is considered to be a more desirable Deluxe Resort.

The purchaser is paying more to get 4 months of preferred access to PVB.

Yes, PVB has a bit longer contract remaining but this can be adjusted at a new "moderate" DVC Resort.

Last edited:

Bacon

The land in question here doesn't seem to be very large unless they plan to go verticle. A tower could potentially have viewing areas for both Illuminations and DHS fireworks if it is tall enough. There was also some discussion of potentially building a canal to link to either the back entrance to EPCOT or DHS or possibly both. Not sure how feasible it would be, but it could go a long way to making it a lot more popular for new buyers. If you look at the map below the area in question is the southern part of CBR so it makes it a little further to connect. Getting to EPCOT would require going under Buena Vista Dr and DHS would need to cut through existing wetlands.

View attachment 147978
Most likely its the room with the trees next to the road you probably didn't see

raymusiccity

I know it's from the website that may not be named, but some pretty exciting news regarding the first ever moderate resort DVC came out today. It would be located at Caribbean Beach across the lake from the Pirate rooms (Trinidad South). the picture is courtesy of the same website, I'd post the link if it were allowed. Anyway, thoughts on a moderate DVC resort?

I hate when people say it, but a CBR location, rates a 'Meh' !

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hate when people say it, but a CBR location, rates a 'Meh' !
I pretty much agree. If they just convert a section of CBR to DVC it's gonna be hard to sell. A few ideas to make it an easier sell:
  1. incorporate boat/rail/monorail transport direct to EPCOT or DHS
  2. Build a tower with views of illuminations and Star Wars fireworks
  3. Build a Beach Club style pool that's basically a mini-watermark.
They are going to need something to pull people in after the monorail resorts all "sell out". It will be interesting to see how the new WL rooms sell.

raymusiccity

I pretty much agree. If they just convert a section of CBR to DVC it's gonna be hard to sell. A few ideas to make it an easier sell:
  1. incorporate boat/rail/monorail transport direct to EPCOT or DHS
  2. Build a tower with views of illuminations and Star Wars fireworks
  3. Build a Beach Club style pool that's basically a mini-watermark.
They are going to need something to pull people in after the monorail resorts all "sell out". It will be interesting to see how the new WL rooms sell.

You got that right! Having BLT as our 'home', really makes us dead set against any further expansion anywhere near the monorail or boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom. It's getting really close to saturation as it is. I'm all for locations closer to Disney Springs, or some innovative stand alone locations. Disneyland is overdue for another DVC resort.

Shaden

Not really sure since there isn't any current resort to base it on, but it seems what you said would be on the right track. lower point prices, but also less amenities available. Just a guess though.

I really don't think this is in the cards, I had read, elsewhere, the plans for this DVC resort included an observation deck (similar to TotWL) and a water link created to EPCOT, and thus direct water service there. I mean, it might not be Poly or GF costs, but I don't think its going to be any less than WL or AKL ... this isn't going to be a "discount DVC" resort by any means.

I really don't think this is in the cards, I had read, elsewhere, the plans for this DVC resort included an observation deck (similar to TotWL) and a water link created to EPCOT, and thus direct water service there. I mean, it might not be Poly or GF costs, but I don't think its going to be any less than WL or AKL ... this isn't going to be a "discount DVC" resort by any means.
LOL, I agree with this. Nothing that Disney has done over the last few years would lead me to believe they would move in a discount direction. It has all been upsell and upgrade. We shall see, but I have a feeling it won't be a discounted DVC.

glvsav37

IDK if you really need to add or strip away anything major to make a moderate DVC. People stay at moderates b/c its a good middle ground between value and delux. I think the biggest difference between resort levels is on site dining options and building foot print. Values tend to be more spread out, moderates slightly less and deluxe where everything is pretty much with steps of each other. So to make a Moderate DVC feel like a delux, they would need to add a restaurant which I don't (and wouldfnt want) see happening.

I think disney will keep the price per point the same but make the point cost per room lower then other resorts. This way, people who want the DVC membership can do an every year, week long visit on 100 pts. As others have said before, its easier to sell a $13k contract then a $30k one.

Maybe you can save costs on these rooms by removing the kitchens and kitchettes from the rooms. Target these room s for those DVC members who are not looking for the longer stay. You can have a multi-bedroom hotel room w/o the kitchen. I'll be honest, I one of those DVC members that don't use our kitchen. I cook enough at home, I dont do it on vacation, and we generally stay for 2 weeks.

I don't have an issue with a moderate DVC resort, and I don't believe you need to plus it to make it a DVC. People what the opportunity to own it, but generally cant afford the combination of high per point cost along with the large number of points you need to have to do an average vacation. IMO, this will sell very fast.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IDK if you really need to add or strip away anything major to make a moderate DVC. People stay at moderates b/c its a good middle ground between value and delux. I think the biggest difference between resort levels is on site dining options and building foot print. Values tend to be more spread out, moderates slightly less and deluxe where everything is pretty much with steps of each other. So to make a Moderate DVC feel like a delux, they would need to add a restaurant which I don't (and wouldfnt want) see happening.

I think disney will keep the price per point the same but make the point cost per room lower then other resorts. This way, people who want the DVC membership can do an every year, week long visit on 100 pts. As others have said before, its easier to sell a $13k contract then a $30k one.

Maybe you can save costs on these rooms by removing the kitchens and kitchettes from the rooms. Target these room s for those DVC members who are not looking for the longer stay. You can have a multi-bedroom hotel room w/o the kitchen. I'll be honest, I one of those DVC members that don't use our kitchen. I cook enough at home, I dont do it on vacation, and we generally stay for 2 weeks.

I don't have an issue with a moderate DVC resort, and I don't believe you need to plus it to make it a DVC. People what the opportunity to own it, but generally cant afford the combination of high per point cost along with the large number of points you need to have to do an average vacation. IMO, this will sell very fast.
I think the discussion of plussing the resort is in reference to building a DVC at a moderate resort but charging full DVC price. With a moderate priced DVC they wouldn't need to plus anything.

If you look at it from the perspective of a potential buyer, a moderate priced DVC would likely be very popular. The bigger question is would it be profitable enough from Disney's perspective. Less points per night means less total points sold which reduces Disney's profit. They can't really reduce the physical building cost that much even if it only has studios. The only way to make the total profits equal is to build a bigger resort. That's how the economics work for the hotels. The moderate resorts have around 2,000 rooms while the average deluxe has less than 1,000.

I only see Disney doing this once they are convinced the market for deluxe DVC is tapped out. They don't want to lose potential deluxe DVC customers because a cheaper alternative exists.

surfsupdon

If this occurs, there should really be a canal that connects Barefoot Bay with World Showcase Lagoon, and a walkway that runs along the side. Yes you will need another entry/exit point with CMs....but anything to get away from bus reliance is good in most eyes!!

Shaden

If this occurs, there should really be a canal that connects Barefoot Bay with World Showcase Lagoon, and a walkway that runs along the side. Yes you will need another entry/exit point with CMs....but anything to get away from bus reliance is good in most eyes!!

From the rumors I have read this was part of the plan.

mikenatcity1

You got that right! Having BLT as our 'home', really makes us dead set against any further expansion anywhere near the monorail or boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom. It's getting really close to saturation as it is. I'm all for locations closer to Disney Springs, or some innovative stand alone locations. Disneyland is overdue for another DVC resort.

I don't like Bay Lake only because I stupidly waited too long to buy there By the time I decided to purchase, it was sold out and I only had Aulani or Kidani to choose from, so I always look at Bay Lake as "the one that got awa"

I agree! Disneyland needs more DVC as its almost impossible to get anything out there without spending a ton of points!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't like Bay Lake only because I stupidly waited too long to buy there By the time I decided to purchase, it was sold out and I only had Aulani or Kidani to choose from, so I always look at Bay Lake as "the one that got awa"

I agree! Disneyland needs more DVC as its almost impossible to get anything out there without spending a ton of points!
Umm, you have a bad guide then. You can buy ANY DVC property (well, except VGF). You may have to go on a waiting list, but you can buy wherever you wish. Don't let them tell you different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom