Are we going to have this minor problem again at Prime Time Cafe?

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Last December when my Dad and I had a lunch ADR at Prime Time Café which was scheduled for 11:00 AM which is when they open. We had arrived at least 10-15 minutes before they opened to check-in. In front of us was another party of 2 and I happened to hear them say they were staying at the Beach Club when asked by the Cast Member. Now it's 11:00 AM and names start to be called. One of the parties seated was the couple who checked in right before us, because my Dad remembers hearing them mentioning how they were staying at the Beach Club. We were not called for at least another 10 minutes and I'm wondering why that happened? Just like the couple who checked in front of us our ADR's were also for 11:00 AM and we were also a party of 2. So how come they got seated right away and we waited longer than expected? I only ask because next month I made another lunch ADR for Prime Time Café at 11:05 AM.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Perhaps some of the wait staff were late for work? Something wasn't ready? Could be any of a number of things.

Agree I wouldn't let that bother me at all while on vacation. We have waited 30-45 min for our tables at WDW with reservations even at 50's and many others before and it does not bother us. We have seen people taken before us too that got there after us. No worries. ;)

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Agree I wouldn't let that bother me at all while on vacation. We have waited 30-45 min for our tables at WDW with reservations even at 50's and many others before and it does not bother us. We have seen people taken before us too that got there after us. No worries. ;)
It's not that big of a deal I just found it to be a minor annoyance because of how it happened with the people who checked-in right before us since we were the same party size and ADR time. I should have mentioned in the past when going to Prime Time Café or any other WDW restaurant when they opened if that's the time we got an ADR, we were always seated right away when they began calling the first set of names.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
It's not that big of a deal I just found it to be a minor annoyance because of how it happened with the people who checked-in right before us since we were the same party size and ADR time. I should have mentioned in the past when going to Prime Time Café or any other WDW restaurant when they opened if that's the time we got an ADR, we were always seated right away when they began calling the first set of names.

Although that may have always been the case and y'all were seated right away you can't always expect that even right at opening. Not downplaying how you feel but things happen. I personally and no offense, wouldn't even be annoyed about it but that's just me. :cat:

Weather_Lady

Regardless of the time of our ADRs, we've found that 10-15 minutes waits to be seated aren't uncommon, even at the beginning of service. We budget extra time for meals as a result, and try not to sweat it.

(As others indicated, there are times and places -- dinner at the Coral Reef, for instance -- where the wait can consistently stretch to over 30 minutes. We try to be aware of those, too, but I can't say it's never been a major annoyance...)

Last edited:

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Although that may have always been the case and y'all were seated right away you can't always expect that even right at opening. Not downplaying how you feel but things happen. I personally and no offense, wouldn't even be annoyed about it but that's just me. :cat:
It just so happened to be that each time I have gone to a WDW restaurant and had an ADR for when they opened, each time we were called right away or within the first few names. For example at Via Napoli when we had a lunch ADR it was for 11:30 AM and one time we happened to be the first guests to check-in, so we were the first ones called. I even remember another time at Liberty Tree Tavern we had an 11:45 AM and were the second ones to be called. That's also part of the reason for my surprise last time at Prime Time Café, where as each other times going there for 11:00 AM that never happened.

DisneyJoe

It just so happened to be that each time I have gone to a WDW restaurant and had an ADR for when they opened, each time we were called right away or within the first few names. For example at Via Napoli when we had a lunch ADR it was for 11:30 AM and one time we happened to be the first guests to check-in, so we were the first ones called. I even remember another time at Liberty Tree Tavern we had an 11:45 AM and were the second ones to be called. That's also part of the reason for my surprise last time at Prime Time Café, where as each other times going there for 11:00 AM that never happened.
Odds are, when you are there early and are one of the first to check in, you will be one of the first few called, but I wouldn't expect it 100% of the time or you will be disappointed.

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Is this a real thing? One time you waited 10 minutes for your table and that's a problem? Really? I just don't understand.
It was the fact that a party of 2 who checked in right before us for an 11:00 AM ADR were seated right away, where as we had to wait longer than expected since we were also a party of 2 and checked in right after they did when our ADR was also for 11:00 AM. So I never understood how they got seated right away and we did not?

HurricaneHanna

Restaurants can't fill all of the tables at once when they open. If they did, everyone would be ready to order at once and that wouldn't work at all. If you had been seated at the same time as the couple in front of you, you most likely would have spent that same extra ten minutes instead sitting at the table before your server was able to greet you. Seating has to be staggered so that the needs of every table aren't on the exact same time line. If, as you say, you have always been seated immediately in the past, I would say you've been very lucky.

AndrewsJ

It was the fact that a party of 2 who checked in right before us for an 11:00 AM ADR were seated right away, where as we had to wait longer than expected since we were also a party of 2 and checked in right after they did when our ADR was also for 11:00 AM. So I never understood how they got seated right away and we did not?
Not trying to downplay your feelings but they checked in first, before you, and were seated before you and that's an issue? If they had checked in after you and had a later time I could see the problem. I really don't think it had anything to do with the fact they were guests at the BC.

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
Not trying to downplay your feelings but they checked in first, before you, and were seated before you and that's an issue? If they had checked in after you and had a later time I could see the problem. I really don't think it had anything to do with the fact they were guests at the BC.
I only mentioned the Beach Club because it's how I remembered them being ahead of us in line when they got called right away. So them staying there had nothing to do with it.

BrianV

For me the question is why do they book ADRs right at opening more closely together in time than they can seat? I guess if a waiter is out or something which might well be what happened. But if they are at full staff, they should only allow as many reservations at opening as they can seat at that time.

Last edited:

rob0519

Well, it does seem to be a big enough deal for you to create a thread about something that might happen based a previous experience. Seriously, if that 10 minute wait was the worst thing to happen to you at WDW thank whatever higher power you believe in and move on.

Princess_AmyK

10 minutes in Disney time is not a huge issue. its definitely probably something minor like trying to stagger guest times or waiting for a wait staff to be ready for you. I would expect this over being seated immediately anyway.

Polydweller

10 minutes in Disney time is not a huge issue. its definitely probably something minor like trying to stagger guest times or waiting for a wait staff to be ready for you. I would expect this over being seated immediately anyway.
The staggering is pretty close. At opening there is a certain amount of table balancing that needs to occur for two main reasons. First, if all tables or even a majority of tables in any given station were filled at nearly the same time the wait staff in the station would not be able to get to all of those tables with greetings and menus within a reasonable period of time. Anyone who has sat waiting for a waiter to come by knows how interminably long it can feel. Ten minutes at the table feels much longer that 10 minutes in the lobby.

The second reason is the kitchen staff can only manage a certain number of orders at any given time. Getting two many orders at once slows meals for everyone and many customers get annoyed. Restaurants work on a rhythm. table and order balancing at the start lets them set the rhythm which makes things better for everyone through out the date.

For wait staff the rhythm is something like greet a guest A and give them the menu, then get order from guest B, deliver Guest B's order to kitchen, pick up guest C's order and deliver to table, get coffee/desert order from Guest D, get Guest E's bill and deliver it to table and repeat. If things are balanced correctly it goes seamlessly and everyone feels they have been taken care of well. Kitchen's have a similar rhythm.

Waiting 10 minutes at the opening is not a bad thing it's actually beneficial to everyone's dining experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom