My Review of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had to give my thoughts on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend and lucky enough to ride the Mine Train a couple times.

First of all, the Mine Train must be judged as an attraction for kids. It's not never going to seem great if you aren't impressed with the "thrill" factor. It simply can't have the thrills of an Everest or RnR because it's first and foremost a ride for families. Also, the length of the ride is an issue but I believe the space was pretty well utilized for what imagineers had to work with.

First of all, the queuing area is straight up annoying. The "game" section where the gems float by on touch screens is an absolute nightmare. The line stalls for incredibly long periods at this juncture. Kids simply jump out of line and run to the games. Parents don't manage this well and even get involved in the games too much. I never will understand this...is it really that fun? I couldn't care less about playing silly games like that.

The water section is a disaster for kids running outside the line to play and flick water on their parents, siblings, and of course, all the guests around. It also makes the line slippery.

The barrels with gems inside that can be spun around to project dwarf images on the ceiling are equally annoying. Same issues as before.

The line needs a single rider section.

Spoiler alert:

Outside, the structure is incredibly detailed and beautifully landscaped. It flows with the rest of Fantasyland and is a great addition to complete the expansion. It truly looks complete.

The ride itself is beautiful. The theming is straight up on point. The detail is incredible. I like the mix of inside and outside elements. The dwarf shadows are well executed and the music and sound effects are outstanding. This attraction is all about the detail, theming, and audio animatronic dwarfs. It's amazing how real they look.

The thrill factor is slightly better than Barnstormer, but not much. Not even as intense and Thunder Mountain.

The innovative "swinging" cars were a disappointment. I guess it depends on rider weight, seating location, and other factors, but I really didn't even feel much effect. The coaster is extremely smooth, however. It's almost silent as it rolls along the track.

The ride is frankly too short. It needs one more lift and show scene. I found myself saying, "That's it?"

The end is well done and the witch looks great. It does feel rushed and slightly like an afterthought with odd placement. I think it would be nicer inside with more substance.

Overall, it's a solid B+ but criticizing it too much is just not fair. Most people criticizing it have not even experienced it yet! It's easily the best ride in Fantasyland and was never meant to be a thrill ride. Yes, it should be longer. Yes, the queue area has its issues, but I believe those can be solved with cast member intervention. I'll never downgrade a ride too much because of length. What is there is really good.

Overall, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train captivates your imagination and executes its purpose of being an immersive attraction for the whole family.

Anyone else ride it have similar thoughts about the ride itself and queue area? Those who haven't ridden it, are you already disappointed?

yes - agreed - Way too short.... and I understand this is a kids' ride but there is absolutely no leg room for an avergae adult

12_Ears_Dad

attachment.php

This is the progression of the track from the original plan to finish.. and from what I read it wasn't necessarily due to budget cuts, but more for atmospheric reasons..

Cowboy Steve

We rode this on our 2014 trip and I can't really tell you much about it... just as we were loading onto our train I noticed the cars seemed awfully wet and I remember thinking... uh oh... we proceeded to ride through a torrential downpour - so I spent most of my time trying to get the water out of my eyes. From what I remember, the theming was excellent! On the plus side, when we go this year it will be like a whole new ride for us (as long as it isn't raining) lol

brb1006

7DMT is one of those rides that you wish lasted much longer than it should especially how great the theming was. I really had fun riding it the first time and the ride felt a bit anticlimactic when you arrived at the cottage.

Brad Bishop

7DMT is one of those rides that you wish lasted much longer than it should especially how great the theming was. I really had fun riding it the first time and the ride felt a bit anticlimactic when you arrived at the cottage.

Forgetting for a moment where it is located because it has limited space, imagine if it had been twice as long. That would have definitely been an E-Ticket ride!

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
2 years later and probably ~20 rides, I basically stand behind my review. It's a solid D ticket, but painfully too short. With an extra show scene indoors and a finale more than just grown in the braking zone, it'd be an A+ attraction.

It's clear their budget was slashed and WAY a too much money was committed for the building design and queue, much like Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

It also makes no sense we had to lose the original Snow White dark ride as if we can have too many rides in the most popular park in the world? That's probably the biggest fail of 7DMT...we lost a classic to get it.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well I suppose since I saw it being built last time I was there, and having watched a youtube I am still geeked to ride it next trip, especially since my favorite BTM is going to be under a refurb.....sigh.....my thoughts have always been that BTM is too short, and my all time best was riding it twice almost nonstop on a non busy parade night when the fireworks were going off.....THAT was priceless... can't see a back to back ride on SDMT being offered but will savor the brevity of it just to get a fix....:D.

Brad Bishop

Well I suppose since I saw it being built last time I was there, and having watched a youtube I am still geeked to ride it next trip, especially since my favorite BTM is going to be under a refurb.....sigh.....my thoughts have always been that BTM is too short, and my all time best was riding it twice almost nonstop on a non busy parade night when the fireworks were going off.....THAT was priceless... can't see a back to back ride on SDMT being offered but will savor the brevity of it just to get a fix....:D.

Really? You've thought BTM is too short?

Is it too short because:
1) You love the ride and if they just let you stay put you'd run to it in as soon as the park opened, pick your seat, and ride it until the park closed?
2) You get to the end of the ride and think, "That was it?"

I've never had #2 on any of the mountains. I have had it on 7DMT.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Really? You've thought BTM is too short?

Is it too short because:
1) You love the ride and if they just let you stay put you'd run to it in as soon as the park opened, pick your seat, and ride it until the park closed?
2) You get to the end of the ride and think, "That was it?"

I've never had #2 on any of the mountains. I have had it on 7DMT.

Naw it's just that I love it so very, very much, and because I did ONCE ride it twice in a row.....in the back seat, at night....(it truly IS faster then) woohoo!!!! I have always wished it were longer vs thinking it was too short! :) Would not enjoy riding it all day....just more of a good thing. Did not like Everest first time, but did every time after.....SM in the dark seems long enough.....Barnstormer too short but rather fun for it's own sake.;)

Brad Bishop

Naw it's just that I love it so very, very much, and because I did ONCE ride it twice in a row.....in the back seat, at night....(it truly IS faster then) woohoo!!!! I have always wished it were longer vs thinking it was too short! :) Would not enjoy riding it all day....just more of a good thing. Did not like Everest first time, but did every time after.....SM in the dark seems long enough.....Barnstormer too short but rather fun for it's own sake.;)

Barnstormer doesn't even register to me. I've ridden it once just because there was no line and to try it / say I rode it. I don't think it's a good fit for WDW/MK. It's nicely done but it's so obvious just a coaster with a nice queue.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Barnstormer doesn't even register to me. I've ridden it once just because there was no line and to try it / say I rode it. I don't think it's a good fit for WDW/MK. It's nicely done but it's so obvious just a coaster with a nice queue.
Yep I would not ever wait in line for it, just a walking past and 10 min wait, why not? It is a good first coaster for little ones......BTMRR has everything I want in a rollercoaster, I actually can't help but laugh during most of the ride. Think if I was there with no wait the most I would ride it back to back is 3 times.....just because I could. Can't say I feel that way about any other ride....guess I am hoping for another coaster someday that is similar in theming quality and same or longer duration. Wonder if anyone ever gets to ride SDMT back to back?;)

clarabellej

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had to give my thoughts on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend and lucky enough to ride the Mine Train a couple times.

First of all, the Mine Train must be judged as an attraction for kids. It's not never going to seem great if you aren't impressed with the "thrill" factor. It simply can't have the thrills of an Everest or RnR because it's first and foremost a ride for families. Also, the length of the ride is an issue but I believe the space was pretty well utilized for what imagineers had to work with.

First of all, the queuing area is straight up annoying. The "game" section where the gems float by on touch screens is an absolute nightmare. The line stalls for incredibly long periods at this juncture. Kids simply jump out of line and run to the games. Parents don't manage this well and even get involved in the games too much. I never will understand this...is it really that fun? I couldn't care less about playing silly games like that.

The water section is a disaster for kids running outside the line to play and flick water on their parents, siblings, and of course, all the guests around. It also makes the line slippery.

The barrels with gems inside that can be spun around to project dwarf images on the ceiling are equally annoying. Same issues as before.

The line needs a single rider section.

Spoiler alert:

Outside, the structure is incredibly detailed and beautifully landscaped. It flows with the rest of Fantasyland and is a great addition to complete the expansion. It truly looks complete.

The ride itself is beautiful. The theming is straight up on point. The detail is incredible. I like the mix of inside and outside elements. The dwarf shadows are well executed and the music and sound effects are outstanding. This attraction is all about the detail, theming, and audio animatronic dwarfs. It's amazing how real they look.

The thrill factor is slightly better than Barnstormer, but not much. Not even as intense and Thunder Mountain.

The innovative "swinging" cars were a disappointment. I guess it depends on rider weight, seating location, and other factors, but I really didn't even feel much effect. The coaster is extremely smooth, however. It's almost silent as it rolls along the track.

The ride is frankly too short. It needs one more lift and show scene. I found myself saying, "That's it?"

The end is well done and the witch looks great. It does feel rushed and slightly like an afterthought with odd placement. I think it would be nicer inside with more substance.

Overall, it's a solid B+ but criticizing it too much is just not fair. Most people criticizing it have not even experienced it yet! It's easily the best ride in Fantasyland and was never meant to be a thrill ride. Yes, it should be longer. Yes, the queue area has its issues, but I believe those can be solved with cast member intervention. I'll never downgrade a ride too much because of length. What is there is really good.

Overall, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train captivates your imagination and executes its purpose of being an immersive attraction for the whole family.

Anyone else ride it have similar thoughts about the ride itself and queue area? Those who haven't ridden it, are you already disappointed?
I didn't care for it.

I felt like we waited years for this ride to be completed and then it was a let down.

I understand all the work and thought that went into its creation, but still not a fan.

I cannot help comparing it to Splash Mountain, which is a wonderful combo of thrill and yet being able to really take in what leads up to the big drop.

In all fairness, we did not experience any of the standby line activities. We used fastpass.

Thank goodness. If we had stood in a standby line for over an hour, I would have really gone nuts!!

It is not just that the ride is so brief, but even the movements or track design of the coaster seem so abbreviated (quick turn, turn, turn) that they just aren't enjoyable.

Extremely smooth yes, but not at all fluid or swooping IMHO. Not at all pleasant.

It just lacks something.

Last edited:

clarabellej

I think that the problem with the swinging cars is that the turns are all banked like a normal roller coaster. If they made the track flat then you'd get the swing but, at that point, it'd just be really weird. I think that if they just rebuild the cars and dump the swinging bit then there'd be more room for people to sit in the cars and I don't think that the effect would be missed. The swinging, while sounding good on paper, really doesn't pan out in practice.

I think that another problem they had was that this is a roller coaster island. If you look at other rides, they're usually on the edge of the park and thus most of the ride is outside the train tracks and off in a warehouse. Pirates and Splash Mountain show this. Splash mountain is multi-teired which ends up giving you a lot more ride for the space.

Where 7DMT is, there just wasn't a lot that they could do. Even if the track snuck underground to another building to give you more of a show, that'd be a weird, flat, straight portion of track to deal with (yellow being the track and the blue box being some building to house more of the show):
View attachment 76933

7DMT is a great little centerpiece to Fantasyland, it's just too short of a ride.

Splash Mountain, conversely, keeps giving you more Song of the South scenes and details. It's quite thorough. Same with BTMRR.

One odd one: The Goofy's Glider, or whatever it's called now, in the back of Fantasyland. No one ever talks about it. It's been there for years (just looked it up - opened in 1996). I can't imagine anyone seeking it out. It's in a really odd location. I'm sure someone will chime in with, "My kid loves that coaster!" but, really, it's an odd duck.
So glad to see that someone else is thinking what I was thinking after riding Mine Train.

What a huge let down. I know it is silly, but I was actually angry when I rode this. Thank goodness I did not stand in the extremely long standby line for this.

I could not help but wish it was more like Splash Mountain. You have summed up my thoughts and given such a great explanation as to why it does not work as well as Splash Mountain.

It is not just how short the ride is. I go on PP every year and although the ride is over in a blink, I will continue to do so. Such a lovely ride.

Did not care for Mine Train. Maybe I should give it a second chance. Rode it once. Last year I skipped it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom