20th Century Fox Reportedly Considering Some Sort Of Team-Up With Marvel Studios

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/aveng...ring-some-sort-of-team-up-with-marvel-a142923

Deadpool was an unexpected hit, but Fantastic Four was a huge flop and X-Men: Apocalypse proved to be a critical and commercial disappointment. It makes sense then that 20th Century Fox is at least considering teaming up with Marvel Studios, especially after they essentially saved Spider-Man for Sony Pictures by giving the wall-crawler a critically acclaimed role in Captain America: Civil War.

Talking on the latest episode of Collider Heroes, Matt Key, a producer on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast, had this to say about some interesting rumblings he's been hearing. "I've heard from a few of my sources, my little birds that Fox and Marvel have... kind of talked, but not really, but like there's interest from Fox, like, 'Ooh, y'know, what they did with Sony and Spider-Man is actually pretty cool, like, maybe...' We're years away from that ever possibly happening... but I think that's what it would take... Fox joining hands with Marvel..." Well, that's pretty vague all in all, eh?

TB4244

Fox just needs to hand back the rights to F4 and associated characters to Marvel. I haven't bothered with an X-men movie in a while. Deadpool is the only decent marvel movie they've done.

doctornick

This rumor is basically nothing. I'm sure Fox and Marvel/Disney have talked -- how could they not at some point? I'm sure some at least minimal discussion about having the X-Men crossover with the MCU has come up, but it's probably never gotten anywhere beyond the vague hypothetical stage. I think the odds of this happening anytime soon is low, especially with Deadpool having done so well.

And personally I like having the X-Men in a different universe. The property works much better in a word without other super powered beings. That allows the X-Men to deal with prejudice issues more realistically than if there were other non-mutant supers around. Furthermore, I don't want to screwed up timelines and continuity errors of the X-Men universe to invade the MCU. It's not perfect, but overall the MCU has really avoided any significant continuity errors because everything tends to be so methodically planned.

That all said, I'm convinced that the FF rights in some capacity are back with Marvel. Fant4stic horribly bombs and then suddenly shortly thereafter Fox and Marvel have worked out a deal for Fox to have TV rights for X-Men characters? Marvel had to get something in return and, given the timeline, getting the FF back just makes sense. Plus, they are just toxic for Fox now as they lost tens of millions of dollars on the FF movie. No execute at Fox is going to greenlight another FF movie at this point, so it makes sense for Fox to trade those rights for something else of value that they'd actually use. I'm hoping for an announcement at Comi-Con.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom