From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club Cooloholic

They weren't a swimming pool but they were much cleaner. The northern most beach at the Polynesian was called surf rider beach for a reason. That whole area was reserved for surfing and swimming or just wading in the shoreline.
How did a lake produce waves that could be surfed on?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bay Lake and its tributaries are man made. So.just as with swimming pools, an increased liability exists.

Man made or not really doesn't matter for this context. If these are environmental risks you are supposed to be guarding against... origin doesn't really matter as you've established they all are established parts of the environment in play.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And I'm sure at the next meeting of the FWC Commission, there will be a discussion of this very issue.
Probably. Maybe not. They tried to deal with Disneyworld like the rest of the state...and, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

Floridians are aware of this, or learn quickly...frankly, most Southerners would be aware. But, this family was from Nebraska. Or, just imagine some British family?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-brit-family-chased-alligator-8197003

I suspect, however, that the beaches will be severely altered and or shuttered after this...and they'll call that that...but, it doesn't stop issues in areas like, say, Ft. Wilderness, etc...

Frankly, imho, with a property like Disney, they should be allowed to remove gators upon discovery, at least in certain waterways...and, the State flat out admits/implies that is not the case. As their regulations for the rest of the state, the gator needs to be deemed a "nuisance" first, then the contract approved, and that could take days if not weeks...

BiffyClyro

I remember seeing ducks teasing baby gators at MK in 2006 near Tom Sawyer Island.

It's really tragic. So so heartbreaking and I can't even imagine....

What a week for Orlando. It comes in 3's (and hopefully stays as 3) indeed.

AEfx

My thought was that they would install cement curbs at the ends of the beach, making a clearer delineation between beach and water. Wouldn't completely keep people out, but could be helpful without completely ruining the aesthetic. Of course, they could also install curbs and put up ropes - there are tasteful styles that they could implement.

What I actually think they should be looking at doing would really make some folks irate, but...as much as I love the lagoon and the idea of it - it may be time to rethink the entire TTC/Seven Seas area.

When I first heard the news I was thinking - must have been in some remote place on property. When it was SSL, I just shook my head because I know that eventually the inevitable is going to happen - that muck of a pond just has too many minuses.

I don't want to see water go away. The entire idea that the MK is an island is an illusion to begin with - I would love for them to make a better illusion. Something with more control and less deadly bacteria or alligators to worry about. I know, I know - the signs are there - but people get to Florida, they see water, and you know full well a lot of them just plop right in before they even notice the sign. It's always been kind of gross and weird to begin with, when you think about it - we are just used to it.

I mean, who the hell is going to want to stay in one of those teepees on the water now?

likeozwithanr

Some of them are more up on the lawns near the property... some are right along the water.
Poly...
Polynesian-beach.jpg
They don't show the films on the beach at the Poly, I was there last month, they show them on the grass near the main reception building where they do the torch lighting. Wilderness lodge showed them on the beach but that beach was large and the screen was nowhere near the lake edge, and I guess with the new DVC being built they'll be no more beach there to show them on? Does GF actually show them on the beach though? From people I know who've been/pictures they show them further up on a grassy area.

EngineJoe

What I actually think they should be looking at doing would really make some folks irate, but...as much as I love the lagoon and the idea of it - it may be time to rethink the entire TTC/Seven Seas area.

When I first heard the news I was thinking - must have been in some remote place on property. When it was SSL, I just shook my head because I know that eventually the inevitable is going to happen - that muck of a pond just has too many minuses.

I don't want to see water go away. The entire idea that the MK is an island is an illusion to begin with - I would love for them to make a better illusion. Something with more control and less deadly bacteria or alligators to worry about. I know, I know - the signs are there - but people get to Florida, they see water, and you know full well a lot of them just plop right in before they even notice the sign. It's always been kind of gross and weird to begin with, when you think about it - we are just used to it.

I mean, who the hell is going to want to stay in one of those teepees on the water now?

You could just demolish the lakes and kill all he gators and wildlife and then make a 5th park. The way these anti Disney-blame Disney scapegoates are going that's what they will have to do.

yoda_5729

This is truly a sad and tragic day for that family as well as the greater Disney and Orlando area. After all that has happened in that area my thoughts and prayers are to everyone in that area, and especially to the families of all of the victims. Though some will analyze "Who's to blame" and all of that, I just feel incredibly sorry for those involved, and hope that maybe some good improvements can be made to make sure none of this happens again. I just read as well that one of the victims in the Pulse shooting worked in the Magic Kingdom :( Really sad and tragic, and my prayers go out to everyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It will happen I guarantee it, this is national news everybody has heard about it now. It is more than someone dying on an attraction, it is an alligator attack at the happiest place on Earth without anything posted.

Ironically... I think the INVERSE would cause more of a stir. Everyone knows the alligator's aren't Disney's creation or what people come to Disney for... yet the attractions are.

And everyone knows there is alligators in Florida....

zooey

SSL shoreline was gross already and now proven to be dangerous. They should build elevated boardwalks around the whole thing. They'd be more attractive than the water line they have now anyway, and would make it near impossible for a guest to get near the water.

Daveeeeed

SSL shoreline was gross already and now proven to be dangerous. They should build elevated boardwalks around the whole thing. They'd be more attractive than the water line they have now anyway, and would make it near impossible for a guest to get near the water.
That is actually a good idea, but I just love the feeling of the beach, but that is definitely an option. I think what'll happen at least in the near future is that there will be Alligator signs like The Shades of Green has, and some form of a patrol like @fynnibus mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom