Disney in August

TXDisney

So my wife and I frequent wdw, which isn't cheap since we live in Texas and don't really watch our spending while there. It's amazing how we come up with the money magically every trip. So we were just at wdw in 12/15. So it hasn't been awhile since our last trip. We went with my whole family, 10 of us. My parents have a timeshare near wdw, so we go like every year sometimes every other. Can't beat a free place to stay. But we have got in a lil habit the last few years of booking a short 4-5 day weekends staying onsite. So I'm in the process of trying to convince my wife to do a 4 day weekend my birthday weekend August 6-9. Resorts are on sale bc it's hot and in summer. Being that we frequent wdw we always try to go during down times. So I've never been in the summer. What can I expect if I book?

SeanWM48

If you go during this time I would highly recommend you sleep late and stay late. the parks (with EMH) will be open past midnight. the crowds will be smaller and with the sun down the heat not as bad.
this

if i did a summer trip i would aim for some very late nights or early mornings and some naps mid-day.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Where in Texas? I wouldn't think WDW would be that much hotter or humid than most places in TX. We are from Houston and it was basically about the same in the summer.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

Early morning parks, followed by some afternoon pool/nap time then back at the parks at night. Hot, humid, sweaty and crowded is absolutely correct. That time will be right before schools back in so lots-o-people. Still better than hot, humid and NOT at WDW!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I said I'd never go in August ever again because of the heat & humidity, looong lines and crowded conditions I had to endure. BUUUT if it was my birthday and I was going for a short trip to celebrate.... I'd convince DW to go. Knowing what you're in for , just prepare and enjoy as best you can. Since you go frequently a short trip in August shouldnt be too hard to take, knowing you can return during a better time.

Upvote 0

disneyfan56

August has become our favorite time to go each year. I know it sounds crazy, but mid-August crowds are actually smaller than when we used to go in early November. The F&W festival has made the crowds unbearable and rude.

So, we get up early, hit the parks, stay through lunch and then go back to the resort for pool time/ nap. After dinner we go back to a park until the crowds/ rain become too much. We've become much more relaxed in our approach and love our down time so much more now.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

August has become our favorite time to go each year. I know it sounds crazy, but mid-August crowds are actually smaller than when we used to go in early November. The F&W festival has made the crowds unbearable and rude.

So, we get up early, hit the parks, stay through lunch and then go back to the resort for pool time/ nap. After dinner we go back to a park until the crowds/ rain become too much. We've become much more relaxed in our approach and love our down time so much more now.

Have fun!

Ditto on all you have said. We love August. The heat, the pool, the summer fun!

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

August is miserable. Last year was the first summer vacation I did in June and July at WDW and didn't set foot into Florida the month of August and it was so much better. August has higher temps, more humidity and more rainy days. Early August crowds are not any different than June or July. We have been there in mid August and it was still very crowded. That being said, we also have bdays in August that have been fun to celebrate at WDW.
IMO though I will probably never return to Florida in August unless it is to the beach. Orlando would not be an August destination for me.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have gone in late August a couple of times. It didn't seem that hot and humid to me and it wasn't that crowded either. Similar to a September trip.
Late August tends to be good crowd wise as most schools are back in session by the middle of the month and the tour groups have gone home.

The heat however still can be pretty oppressive to those that are not use to it.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Where in Texas? I wouldn't think WDW would be that much hotter or humid than most places in TX. We are from Houston and it was basically about the same in the summer.

Exactly and Houston would not be a vacation destination for me either in the summer. I remember camping once on lake Travis in August. And Austin is so much less humid than Houston and it was so miserable unless we were in the water or on the boat. Not sure to this day why I thought it would be fun to camp in Texas in August.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Exactly and Houston would not be a vacation destination for me either in the summer. I remember camping once on lake Travis in August. And Austin is so much less humid than Houston and it was so miserable unless we were in the water or on the boat. Not sure to this day why I thought it would be fun to camp in Texas in August.
Or ever ;) la Quinta is considered camping for me

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Original Poster
The heat is an issue bc my wife might be pregnant then. Hopefully. Which is making planning a trip a pain bc she's ok with August if she isn't pregnant but if she is she says no. She's ok to go in October even if pregnant, so that might be the best choice. But 3/4 visits then will have been during the food and wine festival which is making it lose its greatness for us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom