Where to Live When Working at Disney?

grimb168

Congratulations on your new job and move. We are planning to do the same in 2 years. I would like to find a pet friendly apartment in your area. Any ideas?

destus

My wife and I just came from Detroit to Kissimmee... it was a bit of a crazy transition, but we are also renting a house - not purchasing. I'll answer questions about renting if anyone wants to message me.

Mike Green

Hello all!
My wife and I are looking to buy a home near the Disney parks as we will be trying to gain employment with Walt Disney World. Does anyone have any good suggestions on neighborhoods. I hear Clermont, Devenport and Winter Garden are good area's. Are there any pros of renting instead of buying in the area? Thanks
Hello all!
My wife and I are looking to buy a home near the Disney parks as we will be trying to gain employment with Walt Disney World. Does anyone have any good suggestions on neighborhoods. I hear Clermont, Devenport and Winter Garden are good area's. Are there any pros of renting instead of buying in the area? Thanks
Me and my wife are considering moving back to Florida from Tennessee. Any suggestions on what you guys went through? I am also considering working for Disney. Possibly in the area of security as i have been in law enforcement for 20 years. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

seb12

Glad that 1) this thread exists and 2) is current. Seen a lot of old threads and will be glad to take as much modern perspective as possible. I am in a similar situation, looking to move there in around 1.5 years. Anyone have perspectives on renting vs. buying? Buying seems to be the cheaper and more cost-effective option on the face of it...

Sheril

I'm considering a move to central Florida. Tonight it is boiling down to appreciating the idea of essentially running away to live by Disney. I am considering perhaps working at Disney or returning to school or getting a non-Disney job. My life is in a major transition and there are many unknowns before me. As I have begun exploring this idea of moving somewhere near Disney I am considering anywhere in Lakeland or Polk City or maybe even as close to the parks as Clermont. I really appreciate this thread. I'd love to hear from anyone in Clermont about routes in to the parks and how long your drive is during average and slower times of the school year. Similar info from those further out in Polk County areas would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:

seb12

Sheril, I'm sure some others will come in here with varying viewpoints, but I would say that any big move, much less a move to WDW area, is NOT something you should be considering if your financial future is up in the air. Number one, it's just not smart, and number two, Walt is much more privy to hiring people that are clearly and intentionally making a career out of it. All of your "maybe's" would likely rule you out of getting hired. The best things you could do would be to get your health issues in order, figure out absolutely what you're going to do in your career, and then if it fits, save the money to be able to pull off a move and interview ahead of time, if possible. Disney isn't the place to move just because you want to. I don't intend to be rude by saying all of this. I'm planning a move myself, but I'm not going to do it if all of my ducks aren't in a row. It's just several words of warning.

Sheril

I'm not offended at all, or worried about thinking anyone rude. I appreciate that people often add caution to a discussion in order to ultimately be helpful. I was aware it might seem odd to some since the decision is not yet rock solid and I'm only seeking Disney info. There are several issues that factor into my nearly made decision to move back to central Florida when I can arrange it, I hope within one year or less. I should have been more clear rather than posting while I was tired. Whether I work there or not or whether they think much of me applying or not will not at all be the deciding factor in my move, although it may come into play to some degree on how close to Disney to move. Tampa seems to be the furthest place that is in the running but Lakeland and Polk City both have some advantages over Tampa for me personally. The existence of Disney is just one possible extra perk of moving back to Central Florida, well kind of a whole bundle of extra perks. ;)

And sometimes you need to take a few minutes to focus on the positives and the possibilities more than on the unknowns and the uncontrollable factors in life. Between now and the time when a move can logically happen according to all the other factors involved, it makes sense for me to gather as much information as I can about what it is like to live near Disney as well as any info that should be considered when I eventually may need to decide whether or not to seek employment there.

bradfordbunch

My family is also interested in moving near WDW. We have three kids (middle school and elementary school). One of my biggest questions is how are the school systems. I know all school systems have their issues because I have been a teacher for awhile and no matter where you go there is always something that needs improving. Any input would be much appreciated as I do not know very much at all about Florida schools much less the school systems around the WDW area. Thanks.

My family is looking to move to FL from CT. My husband has experience in culinary. We've owned a catering company for years here specializing in allergy friendly food. I think a job at Disney would be wonderful for him, and there is alot he could add to the Disney experience. He also has wonderful customer service. We have 5 daughters, but only 3 would be making the move with us. (Others will be college bound soon) Looking to find info on best places to look to buy a home. Close to Disney, but we don't want the city like feel. We are used to a more country setting. We want something where the town spirit is up (festivals, farmers market, activities for kids, parks/playgrounds, good library, and a community that all around is safe, and family focused. ) We homeschool currently, and plan to continue through HS. I'm currently pregnant (due this summer) so we have a wide range of ages we homeschool. We'd love to know options, and opportunities there for that. We currently belong to a few homeschool groups in CT, and really love the friendships and support you gain from such a group.

ULPO46

My family is looking to move to FL from CT. My husband has experience in culinary. We've owned a catering company for years here specializing in allergy friendly food. I think a job at Disney would be wonderful for him, and there is alot he could add to the Disney experience. He also has wonderful customer service. We have 5 daughters, but only 3 would be making the move with us. (Others will be college bound soon) Looking to find info on best places to look to buy a home. Close to Disney, but we don't want the city like feel. We are used to a more country setting. We want something where the town spirit is up (festivals, farmers market, activities for kids, parks/playgrounds, good library, and a community that all around is safe, and family focused. ) We homeschool currently, and plan to continue through HS. I'm currently pregnant (due this summer) so we have a wide range of ages we homeschool. We'd love to know options, and opportunities there for that. We currently belong to a few homeschool groups in CT, and really love the friendships and support you gain from such a group.
Well hello there homeschoolmom. there are great opportunities for Home schooling in Florida. FLVS, K12, and Connections academy just to name a few. How ever I would attempt to stray as far away from Disney as possible. I would not recommend leaving just yet. I left from CT to Florida when I was young and back to CT in time for school and ended up wanting to go back to Florida for college. Again I don't dislike Disney I love it and work for the company. But catering is not a fun job and it offers low pay, low benefits, and honestly would not be a great decision. Although it is cheaper down in Orlando compared to CT, crime and quality of life make Stamford look like the financial district of Manhattan. I'm not trying to dissuade you but for your kids in college if they don't have a scholarship don't forget what happens to their residency. You guys moving makes them Florida resident's even if they live by themselves in CT. It happened to me and it ended with me spending more on tuition. But I was able to eventually emancipate myself and lower the cost. But in doing so it left me without health insurance and car insurance as I spit from my parents. Sure they helped but legally I had to make claims on taxes from their help. Today I am lucky to be making enough to afford a roof and food, but I do have to pay off loans. I think it was worth it, but I probably would have done better had I stayed with my parents. Quality of life and your families happiness is very important before you plan on moving across the Eastern Seaboard. Jobs at Disney are amazing but chef positions and anything that pays more than minimum wage are very difficult to find and you have to have been working in those jobs prior to finding one or at least know of people as those positions don't really come up often on the official Disney careers website.

ULPO46

My family is also interested in moving near WDW. We have three kids (middle school and elementary school). One of my biggest questions is how are the school systems. I know all school systems have their issues because I have been a teacher for awhile and no matter where you go there is always something that needs improving. Any input would be much appreciated as I do not know very much at all about Florida schools much less the school systems around the WDW area. Thanks.
Florida has one of the best Schooling systems in the nation I know because I went to nearly all 13 years of public school there. I moved senior year out of state. How ever I would not recommend living too close to WDW as cost are high and quality of life is low. Try going a little further west and you may have a decent life. Kissimmee is not a kind place to raise a family as it's economy has been left in shambles and driving along US 192 will show you that. East of Disney has people who work at Disney but can't afford living a nice area living around. Now I don't say it in a bad way as it depends on your income, but look for a safe decent place t live in Orlando. When my family lived there we lived between Winter Park and Dr. Phillips. Nicer areas to live and very little crime, not to mention very good schools. Don't just look at Orlando Tampa, Jacksonville, and even Ocala are great places to raise families and get your kids educated. DCPS, HCPS, OCPS, are great programs. Of course you will always find a teacher who does not like his/her job and doesn't teach well, but the great majority of teachers are outstanding. Look for a school with an A letter grade. Those are the best schools available.

ULPO46

Me and my wife are considering moving back to Florida from Tennessee. Any suggestions on what you guys went through? I am also considering working for Disney. Possibly in the area of security as i have been in law enforcement for 20 years. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
It's not a hard decision my older sister moved from Murfreesboro to Florida and was semi smooth. Housing market sucks and can be difficult to buy a home so i'd say rent for a while before getting into purchasing a house. Disney Security is one of those jobs that just isn't hiring often. I have a bunch of law enforcement friends who have tried to get a job there but t just isn't as simple even with experience. I'd look into seeing if any post are available if not, Orange County Sherriff could use someone with your experience. Look around before you make a decision. I don't want to discourage you but it's difficult to get a job as a security officer at Disney.

ULPO46

Glad that 1) this thread exists and 2) is current. Seen a lot of old threads and will be glad to take as much modern perspective as possible. I am in a similar situation, looking to move there in around 1.5 years. Anyone have perspectives on renting vs. buying? Buying seems to be the cheaper and more cost-effective option on the face of it...
Indeed buying looks cheaper, but the housing market system in Florida is a pain in the royal behind. Renting for at least a year is a plausible option. You need to be making over 75k a year if you want to be qualified by a bank to allow you to purchase a home. even if it's a 150k home. Florida is notorious for it's housing market for that very reason. it took my sister over 6 months to finally get approved for her home and her husband makes 80k a year or 100k if you include commissions which under Florida law don't count as it's not base pay.i advise to be very careful and avoid central and south florida as it's more expensive than north florida.

Stich1978

I am moving from Minnesota without my family to the Orlando area and need help finding a place to stay. If anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Josh_George

Hey there, sorry I'm late to the party. I've been dreaming ever since I can remember about 2 things. 1) Living as close to Disney World as possible. And 2) Working at Disney World...but not just working there. Actually making a career there. I would love to start at the bottom and work my way up. I want to work there for the rest of my life. I'm not even kidding that the passion I have for the place is unreal.

I'm trying to find the cheapest but safest places as close to Disney World as possible. I'm thinking that given the fact that I don't even have the money to get there, once I do get the money to get there, I will need to find a very low-budget place to live. I want something with Air Conditioning and a Pool though. Those are 2 Must-Haves. I feel like my best options are going to be Orlando or Kissimmee. And while I don't mind Kissimmee, I'd really like to be closer to Disney World than that. Now, I have found some affordable places online in the Orlando-Kissimmee area, but I read into them more, and they are either in an Unsafe Neighborhood, Dirty/Bugs/No Air-Conditioning working, or Both. I need a place that is cheap, safe, and close to Disney World.

Josh

navar

Hey folks! New to the boards, and desperately needing help. I currently live in Idaho, and was offered a job working at the customer service call center for dw down in Orlando. My first problem is that I have three weeks before I'm supposed to be down there. My second problem is that the job is only part time, so I'm going to be looking at getting just under 1,000.00 a month from it.

I have no problem getting a second job once I'm there, but I need to find a place to live that is safe, without being a two hour drive to the parks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom