A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not to familiar with the Chinese copyright system and it's history of IP rights. But what is with China and it's long history of copyright infringement and making knock-off products mostly featuring characters without permission. Can someone give me a good explanation or a short analysis about this.

Historically China has no concept of individual ownership of an idea and that predates communism by millennia, In the past if someone in a village came up with a better mousetrap soon EVERYONE in the village would be producing it and that's OK with the original inventor as other villages would buy the better mousetrap and the village would gain face and wealth.

Today IP is the same thing the Chinese do not respect the individual ownership of an idea or a design.

Last edited:

asianway

Spirited Memorial Day Musings:

Nothing like rain to dampen one's BBQ plans. I suppose I should have expected it and gone somewhere with an actual ... liveable climate.

Yes, I am enjoying the pi$$ing match between Bob Iger and Wang Jianlin greatly. If only because I KNOW it can only have a negative outcome for Bob. Let's cut through all the finer points of discussion, not that they aren't fun and all, and ask the only question that matters: Who does the Chinese government support?

That is what this all comes down to, after all. And it is amusing to watch Bob think he can play the same game of intimidation that works so well for him here. Again, a lot to learn about doing business over there. Of course, in 24 months he will be gone and it won't really matter to him beyond whatever stock he decides to hold onto.

Despite the proclamations and the social media bombardment, if SDL were opening today it would not be ready. One E-Ticket would not open at all, one other would open at nothing close to full capacity and two smaller attractions would likely not as well. Oh, and one major show would not as well. Don't know how things will look in 2 1/2 weeks, but that is how they look now.

It's funny how you read that SDL is totally sold out for its first three weeks and yet everyone I know who has attempted to buy tickets has found them available for every day but Opening Day.

I know people are asking about UNI and Beijing and what lessons, if any, are being learned from Disney's fiasco in Shanghai. Sadly, not as many as one would hope. The biggest lesson appears to be not announcing any real opening time frame until they actually have a realistic one. But while developments in O-Town may give faith in Tom Williams and Co, the reality is they are as lost in China as Disney has been. I don't know how, but they are. The one thing I am hopeful for is that they leave the Jurassic World E-Ticket alone because if people are being wowed by SDL's Pirates (and it would seem they should be), this attraction takes everything to the next level. It truly makes Potter's attractions seem ancient and quaint. But I do see way too much cloning in Beijing ... and unique Chinese attractions have gotten cut in favor of the same attractions we know from O-Town and Hollywood etc.

Back to Bob Iger, if you don't think he (and every other CEO of large American corps) are used to getting their way, just look at his 'slapping' of Hugo Martin and the LAT ... and how they are sitting back and taking it ... and how no one else in the media is having their back and talking about censorship and how what Disney did is so wrong. A very scary path for democracy when government and corporations do not have a true free press that demands answers and accountability.

Which brings me back to bloggers (doesn't everything? You know, I am obsessed ... because I need free food at STK ... it's not like Angie and I are going to go and actually pay with our money to dine there!) I've sorta realized that there is an unspoken law about when it is OK to criticize something in the Disney world and not have it bite a blogger/Lifestyler on the behind. If something is failing massively in the Disney UNIverse (no, not MM+, guys ... something less important) like a film that the company itself isn't too concerned about (like The Good Dinosaur or now Alice Through The Looking Glass), then jumping on the hate train isn't going to harm anyone. Bloggers can use it as point of pride ''See, I speak the truth ... and this film is crap and I'm not afraid to say it!" So, that is what they do. But everything else ... they know when to keep their mouths shut. Do you know a blogger who will say to their flock that two of the four WDW parks are complete wastes of money? A blogger who will unabashedly say that "unless you're getting a cast rate, own DVC or are renting it" that you should not stay at a WDW resort? A blogger who will say "the new Hub absolutely sucks?" A blogger who will say "Only if your mental illness requires that you have your burger on WDW property should you eat at Disney Springs overpriced new joint when Fuddrucker's is 10 minutes away across Hotel Plaza Blvd."?

Nah. ... But you can bash the new Alice film (just don't say anything bad about Finding Dory ... or Civil War). You can even bash lightly the new Jungle Book show at DAK, since it is a temp deal ... but tell the flock they should pay the outrageous prices for tiny portions at Tiffins or else.

To the questions regarding APs with blockouts (what we used to call 'seasonal' passes) being lifted at WDW this summer. I haven't heard that and would be shocked if that happened because imagine the reaction of people who bought higher tier (more expensive) passes so they could visit during the summer. Just don't see that happening. ... FLA resident tickets are something different entirely and that is why Disney opted to lift the dates ... to try and get more spending done before the end of the quarter and then on into the rest of summer.

So, when did 'mugs' become the newest 'must have' for bloggers/Lifestylers/fanbois?

If all that 28 & Main merchandise is so popular and selling so well, then why has it been at the outlets and Property Control for months? And why is it that they are loaded with DLR 60th stuff when the 'celebration' continues until September?

No, I don't like 'look' of Sapphire Falls at UNI right now, but I'm not judging it until it is done because I love all their other resorts.

Funny how cast comps can be used at HKDL (as well as DLP), but much like TDR, SDL is off-limits.
I purged about 8 boxes of mugs around Christmas. I'm sure what I tossed in the trash would've worked some into a froth

lazyboy97o

I'm not to familiar with the Chinese copyright system and it's history of IP rights. But what is with China and it's long history of copyright infringement and making knock-off products mostly featuring characters without permission. Can someone give me a good explanation or a short analysis about this.
Why does it happen here? Look at all of the fan-made Disney merchandise peddled by various people. There is no single factor. A big factor in China and other countries is that, despite perception, the central government which may desire stronger enforcement is not in absolute control so that locals can protect infringers with whom they have an interest.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Universal's huge advantage is already being partnered with three different Chinese companies. (Perfect films, Oriental Dreamworks, and Wanda through Legendary). Wanda has a personal reason why they would want the distributor and coproducer of their films to do well in China more so than Disney. Universal also is being a theme park in the heart of the CCP aka the capital of China rather than a tourist business center. Universal is more so set for success. They should have some hiccups but much less than Disney.

Intriguing, but I would have thought Shanghai locals would be more "open" to western styled parks vs. Beijing locals based purely on perception.

Mike S

Curious. I've heard that the Jurassic World attraction was going to be a virtual replica of Universal Singapore's Jurassic Park attraction. This was from a cousin who's very much in-the-know.
If what @WDW1974 says is true I'm hoping that JW E is being considered for Orlando's third park or at least something equal to it. Sounds like the perfect anchor to a new park that gets people talking.

Stripes

If what @WDW1974 says is true I'm hoping that JW E is being considered for Orlando's third park or at least something equal to it. Sounds like the perfect anchor to a new park that gets people talking.
Can't imagine Universal replicating it and putting it in a 3rd gate. That would be very stupid. Something with a different IP perhaps, but Universal is not ready to demo Jurassic Park, and making another would make them look incredibly desperate to make attractions tied to big name IPs. Again, assuming @WDW1974 is correct.

BrianLo

Nothing like rain to dampen one's BBQ plans. I suppose I should have expected it and gone somewhere with an actual ... liveable climate.

Yes, I am enjoying the pi$$ing match between Bob Iger and Wang Jianlin greatly. If only because I KNOW it can only have a negative outcome for Bob. Let's cut through all the finer points of discussion, not that they aren't fun and all, and ask the only question that matters: Who does the Chinese government support?

That is what this all comes down to, after all. And it is amusing to watch Bob think he can play the same game of intimidation that works so well for him here. Again, a lot to learn about doing business over there. Of course, in 24 months he will be gone and it won't really matter to him beyond whatever stock he decides to hold onto.

Despite the proclamations and the social media bombardment, if SDL were opening today it would not be ready. One E-Ticket would not open at all, one other would open at nothing close to full capacity and two smaller attractions would likely not as well. Oh, and one major show would not as well. Don't know how things will look in 2 1/2 weeks, but that is how they look now.

It's funny how you read that SDL is totally sold out for its first three weeks and yet everyone I know who has attempted to buy tickets has found them available for every day but Opening Day.

I know people are asking about UNI and Beijing and what lessons, if any, are being learned from Disney's fiasco in Shanghai. Sadly, not as many as one would hope. The biggest lesson appears to be not announcing any real opening time frame until they actually have a realistic one. But while developments in O-Town may give faith in Tom Williams and Co, the reality is they are as lost in China as Disney has been. I don't know how, but they are. The one thing I am hopeful for is that they leave the Jurassic World E-Ticket alone because if people are being wowed by SDL's Pirates (and it would seem they should be), this attraction takes everything to the next level. It truly makes Potter's attractions seem ancient and quaint. But I do see way too much cloning in Beijing ... and unique Chinese attractions have gotten cut in favor of the same attractions we know from O-Town and Hollywood etc.

Back to Bob Iger, if you don't think he (and every other CEO of large American corps) are used to getting their way, just look at his 'slapping' of Hugo Martin and the LAT ... and how they are sitting back and taking it ... and how no one else in the media is having their back and talking about censorship and how what Disney did is so wrong. A very scary path for democracy when government and corporations do not have a true free press that demands answers and accountability.

Which brings me back to bloggers (doesn't everything? You know, I am obsessed ... because I need free food at STK ... it's not like Angie and I are going to go and actually pay with our money to dine there!) I've sorta realized that there is an unspoken law about when it is OK to criticize something in the Disney world and not have it bite a blogger/Lifestyler on the behind. If something is failing massively in the Disney UNIverse (no, not MM+, guys ... something less important) like a film that the company itself isn't too concerned about (like The Good Dinosaur or now Alice Through The Looking Glass), then jumping on the hate train isn't going to harm anyone. Bloggers can use it as point of pride ''See, I speak the truth ... and this film is crap and I'm not afraid to say it!" So, that is what they do. But everything else ... they know when to keep their mouths shut. Do you know a blogger who will say to their flock that two of the four WDW parks are complete wastes of money? A blogger who will unabashedly say that "unless you're getting a cast rate, own DVC or are renting it" that you should not stay at a WDW resort? A blogger who will say "the new Hub absolutely sucks?" A blogger who will say "Only if your mental illness requires that you have your burger on WDW property should you eat at Disney Springs overpriced new joint when Fuddrucker's is 10 minutes away across Hotel Plaza Blvd."?

Nah. ... But you can bash the new Alice film (just don't say anything bad about Finding Dory ... or Civil War). You can even bash lightly the new Jungle Book show at DAK, since it is a temp deal ... but tell the flock they should pay the outrageous prices for tiny portions at Tiffins or else.

To the questions regarding APs with blockouts (what we used to call 'seasonal' passes) being lifted at WDW this summer. I haven't heard that and would be shocked if that happened because imagine the reaction of people who bought higher tier (more expensive) passes so they could visit during the summer. Just don't see that happening. ... FLA resident tickets are something different entirely and that is why Disney opted to lift the dates ... to try and get more spending done before the end of the quarter and then on into the rest of summer.

So, when did 'mugs' become the newest 'must have' for bloggers/Lifestylers/fanbois?

If all that 28 & Main merchandise is so popular and selling so well, then why has it been at the outlets and Property Control for months? And why is it that they are loaded with DLR 60th stuff when the 'celebration' continues until September?

No, I don't like 'look' of Sapphire Falls at UNI right now, but I'm not judging it until it is done because I love all their other resorts.

Funny how cast comps can be used at HKDL (as well as DLP), but much like TDR, SDL is off-limits.

Your post is too big to attempt to break down on my phone so a few random responses.

First a big 'ugh' to Universal Beijing's cloning. There goes about 2/3rds of my excitement for that project. At least the Jurassic World ride should be preserved, I can't exactly see them being able to justify another raft ride and that property is a must to use.

Second I assume the two smaller 'maybe' attractions are Dumbo and Carousel? The hub still doesn't appear landscaped in the most recent aerials.

I agree the SDL tickets have never been sold out apart from June 16 and the 18th has weirdly come and gone multiple times. Maybe it's sold out for the Chinese language side only?

Finally, ugh to Beijing again.

Alexshow

All i'll say is this about USB.

I am curious to see if what @WDW1974 means by cloning is by a different manner (I.e., we know they've cloned attractions but what if they add additional features to the pre-existing attractions that'd be added). Considering that with every Hogsmeade, UC took the chance to update and re-configure the existing attractions (Universal Studios Hollywood for instance took the opportunity of adding more effects in certain scenes {New Animatronics} and both USH and USJ took the chance in adding 3D to its attractions).

Perhaps with the IPs they reuse, they intend on adding new features and improvements to benefit the attractions. In a way, it would make sense; especialy when you consider that while they make minor changes that would benefit the attractions; they can then test around with new and creative IPs that may or may not been used before; while new IPs are introduced that have never been used before.

I get it that the chances of this is doubtful; but if there was once an incentive to do something different than the other parks; this would be the proper chance to do such an act.

And btw, I am glad to start being on the forums; as I can't wait to chat a little bit often..

Mike S

All i'll say is this about USB.

I am curious to see if what @WDW1974 means by cloning is by a different manner (I.e., we know they've cloned attractions but what if they add additional features to the pre-existing attractions that'd be added). Considering that with every Hogsmeade, UC took the chance to update and re-configure the existing attractions (Universal Studios Hollywood for instance took the opportunity of adding more effects in certain scenes {New Animatronics} and both USH and USJ took the chance in adding 3D to its attractions).

Perhaps with the IPs they reuse, they intend on adding new features and improvements to benefit the attractions. In a way, it would make sense; especialy when you consider that while they make minor changes that would benefit the attractions; they can then test around with new and creative IPs that may or may not been used before; while new IPs are introduced that have never been used before.

I get it that the chances of this is doubtful; but if there was once an incentive to do something different than the other parks; this would be the proper chance to do such an act.

And btw, I am glad to start being on the forums; as I can't wait to chat a little bit often..
Welcome to the other site :)

When I saw your post I thought I was on OU for a second lol.

Stevek

What types of mugs? I collect the Trader Sam's mugs from DL and have had a couple of the WDW TS mugs sent to me by friends..I like tiki culture though. That being said, the fanboys collect pretty much everything they think is cool...and a bunch of other garbage. How many of those folks ripped the whole magic band thing but now have to have every single limited edition version that is released. #addiction

Sir_Cliff

This might be the wrong place to put this, but as we're talking about SDL...

I feel like I'm the only one who's struggling to see in the early pictures of SDL something that looks like a great achievement of Imagineering. In fact, it looks to me like the least aesthetically pleasing castle park with hotels to match that WDI have designed so far. There are some very nice areas, such as the whole pirates and Adventure Isle area. Other parts, though, like Mickey Avenue, the Alice maze, and even really the castle look kind of ugly to me in a way that I don't think could be said of any areas of DLP or HKDL. I'm also really not sure about the choice of art nouveau for the SDL hotel. The new Pirates ride does look fantastic, though!

Maybe it's a cultural thing and WDI is just giving them what they want, I don't know!

Alexshow

Since we're sorta on the topic of Univerisal's 3rd gate, how likely is it to happen? And if it is happening, how soon?

Gate 3 is definite in a way, ever since February; there has been developments going around of the county of Universal's new plot of land that's 450 acres (Next to the OCCC).

Filby61

Personally I DON'T think Bob has the support of the Chinese Government, And from here on out China's gonna play TWDC like a fiddle SDL will turn into a supermassive black hole for funds because the Chinese government is basically going to say 'we want and if you don't give we will give park and Chinese IP rights to Wanda' so us US park fans better tighten our belts and get ready to contribute to the Disney Telethon to Save TWDC....

Yep. Although, judging from the reader's comments to the L.A. Times story "Disney vows to fight after its characters are spotted at rival Chinese theme park," I wonder how many people would pledge their support in such a Telethon.

A sampling:
If Disney had one ounce of respect for it's American employees then i might give a flying fart. Not that I'm a fan of Chinese thievery, but Disney is just as shameless as the Chinese are.
Disney character costumes and souvenirs are likely made in China.
I bought a Disney shirt many moons ago. Wore it once, washed it, fell apart at the seams. Took it back. Salesperson said, made in China. Want another one? I said NO and never bought a Disney product again.
That's what you get Disney for having all you're cheap crap made in China.
I once worked for Disney. Very weird indeed. Very cheap. Can't be trusted.
I haven't been back to disnelyland since being charged 10 bucks for a dried up turkey leg and 5 bucks for a bottle of water.. screw Disney, I hope they go bankrupt, corporate thieves that they are.
Disney gets a taste of it's own medicine.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom