River Country

mouse_luv

88c550efd06668770701fadafd16df50.gif

Schneewittchen

I saw a video on youtube recently with some speculation that didn't seem to involve the X Files bacteria-filled conspiracy theories:

The argument goes something like: River Country had no capacity, transportation issues, 9/11 tourism downturn....

Bacon

I saw a video on youtube recently with some speculation that didn't seem to involve the X Files bacteria-filled conspiracy theories:

The argument goes something like: River Country had no capacity, transportation issues, 9/11 tourism downturn....

The bacteria was fixed to keep the park open untill 2001

Gringrinngghost

Florida passed a law banning River Country?
It was a cross of not only 9/11 and the decline in business but also florida laws from the department of health that has prohibited the use of natural water bodies, requiring chlorination and that it has to be potable 'drinkable' by the time it hits the pool, for water park use. That requirement from the department of health is known as 64E-9.004 that was adopted effective in it's first iteration on May 27th 2004.

It stated for water quality:
Code:
(1) Water Quality – The water supply for all pools shall be an approved potable water system or shall meet the requirements for
potable water systems by the submission from the operator of bacteriological and chemical laboratory reports to the county health
department. Salt water sources are exempt from the potable water chemical standards except for iron and color requirements.

So in hindsight, with the decline of business of 9/11, they could of reopened when business came back up, but with the rule 64E-9.004 that became effective in 2004, it really killed any chance to do that. I don't know how or if there was a filtration system on site or how the Ol' Fashioned Swimming hole was designed, maybe @marni1971 can shed some light on to that for me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
River Country's filtration system took water from Bay Lake, filtered it, then released it into the lagoon via the water slides. The lagoon wasn't connected to Bay Lake; an inflatable wall kept the lagoon separate and slightly higher in level than the lake. Park water would flow over the wall back into the lake.

This wasn't ideal for pure water though. Add to this the location and the availability of more advanced and expensive parks nearby River Country's days were numbered.

summitplummet

First of all, it was not bacteria, is was the protozoa . There is a specific protozoan organism that lives in shallow areas of many ponds/lakes in Florida, that--if inhaled into the nasal/sinus passages--can migrate to the brain and cause primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a brain infection which has a nearly 100% fatality rate. However, a case of that happened in the 80's from a River Country visit, so obviously that situation was resolved.

What I think a lot of people don't realize is how SMALL River Country was. There are many Disney Resort hotel pools that are larger and more extensive than all of River Country (including slides, etc). Back in the 70's and 80's it must have been novel; the people seen in the videos enjoying river country look so satisfied and happy. But with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach now thriving, it is unlikely that River Country would have much appeal anymore. I believe it has gained appeal and interest because it is, in fact, closed.

When it was open, I never went in any of my trips as a kid. I remember in the 90's on the Disney Resort TVs that Disney World promo video would loop (which I loved watching, by the way), and it always showed Typhoon Lagoon and River Country as the parks (at the time I'm referencing). I remember thinking to myself even as a young kid: Wait, what is there to do there? Where are the big water slides? How can someone have fun swinging on ropes above a small non-chlorinated lagoon?

Having said all that, it would have been cool to have gone, since it is now defunct. And I also think it would be nice if it was open, because Disney world has so many nice memories for so many people, and I think some of that should be preserved. So much is getting changed/renovated/torn down. While they do need to keep up with the times, they should also cultivate some "magic" as it was experienced by prior generations, to keep that magic alive.

What is strange to me is why it hasn't been dismantled after 15 years.

I should add, for those interested, that Bay Lake is a terminal basin; this means that water does not flow out of it. Water is recycled through evaporation and replenishment from rain, but anything in the lake (such as fuel/oil byproducts from the boats, debris, waste products, biological products, chemicals, etc) has nowhere to go. Point being that the amoebas are not the only contaminant in Bay Lake water.

Last edited:

Dreaming of Disney World

When it was open, I never went in any of my trips as a kid. I remember in the 90's on the Disney Resort TVs that Disney World promo video would loop (which I loved watching, by the way), and it always showed Typhoon Lagoon and River Country as the parks (at the time I'm referencing). I remember thinking to myself even as a young kid: Wait, what is there to do there? Where are the big water slides? How can someone have fun swinging on ropes above a small non-chlorinated lagoon?
I just wanted to comment that I went there at age 8 and 9.5 and had so much fun!

Another issue with the park was safety. A few people drowned there. I remember riding a water slide, and at the bottom you fall into the lake. It was deep, and the current from the water slide was stronger than I could swim. And I grew up with a pool, frequent beach trips, and swim lessons, so I was a decent swimmer for an 8-9 year old. Fortunately my dad did the slide before or after me and helped me swim over to the side, where we had to climb up onto a rock to get out. It was difficult, and I think we only did it that one time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom