Smart phones while waiting in line....

Do you use a smart phone while waiting in line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KDM31091

I think being in the parks should be an experience, one to be enjoyed and taken in. We are glued to our phones 99% of the time in the "real world". On vacation, I take a digital camera, so I have a camera, but the phone stays away. If there is a true emergency, I will answer a call, but I otherwise don't check my phone -- email, facebook can all wait. You pay a lot of money to go on vacation. Why do that and then spend half the time glued to a device you are glued to the rest of the time?

Dads 2 Boys

If people want to for whatever reason, who are we to say it's wrong? As long as they move when the line moves, more power to them.

We have a couple of times and we are here now. The more pressing issue is the people walking with their heads down.....

Lirael

I don't see the issue, even if its not for checking ADR/FP+. Oh sure when the line is moving onstop and the total wait time is 20min the best thing is to enjoy the scenery. But when you're subjected to an hour's wait time there's a point where scenery stops being fun and the phone is all you have to distract you. It's better to have people on their phones than growing fidgety, with children and adults alike whinning.

Besides, queue theming doesnt necessarily please all audiences. Some interest adults and bore children, and vice versa. With phones you appreciate the line if you want or not.

And I hate those "what happened to talking to strangers" complaints. As if everyone was that social before phones. People simply stood in line staring at nothing, or asked you to "save their spot"so they could leave and do something while they waited. The type of people that used to start socializing with anyone near them are still doing the same, phone or no.

raven

There are being used during movies, live theatre and sporting events. It's the day and age we live in. Nothing can stop it.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I use my phone but not to play games. I check my messages, look up show time, wait times etc. it also depends on the line and who I am with. I usually enjoy taking to who ever I'm with in line.

BigRedDad

For us, the answer is usually not. The reason, we simply don't wait in line for 30 minutes. There are no attractions that are worth it. While in line, we look at what the queue has, looking at pins we traded for, people watch, and get an idea of where to go next. We go often enough that if we miss an attraction this time, we can hit it another day or the next trip.

1stWDW96'

The phones are one thing, unless I need it to find someone in my party It stays in my pocket. The really annoying things are the selfie sticks which aren't even allowed. If you absolutely must wave a pole around without a thought, try to stay away from people.

Tom Morrow

I use mine, but I've also been through these queues hundreds of times. For a new experience I don't have it out or just to take photos.

twag1

What's the fun in that. You're supposed to walk, head down, through the parks and stop suddenly about every 40-60 feet. Then yell at anyone that "rear ends" you.

"Watch where you're going! Idiot!!"

I kind of like the "pushing-a-stroller-with-head-down-buried-in-phone" folks who provide plenty of entertainment as they part the seas ahead of them.

I'm probably not the best suited to answer the OP's question because, in general, I dislike cellphones and literally do not carry one unless there is an ACTUAL need to do so. We have one between us, so I do have the option.

They call me a dinosaur - but I LIKE being a dinosaur in this case, so I don't care.

That perspective in place, I do find it a bit of a shame when people are so mesmerized in whatever it is they're looking at in the palm of their hand that they miss the rest of what I will call the real world about them. Which I think is REALLY a shame when you're somewhere like Disney. We talk about this instance every so often....

We're grabbing lunch at the Fountain in the Dolphin. There are tables along the floor, with high tops overlooking them. This family sits at the high top "above" us; I think it was three kids, mom and dad, with mom directly above me.

Mom's focus was her phone. Never spoke to dad or the kids through the lunch - just buried in her phone. I wanted to say, "do you hate your family, or are you just sick of them?". To me, part of the enjoyment of the deal is "sharing" any experience at Disney with my family, particularly the kids/grand kid. Even if that's "only" a lunch.

But that's just me.

Bottom line - if people want to play with their phones in line or wherever, that's up to them. It's not wrong - it's not right - it just "is". If that makes any sense.

Except for the guy I watched with the stroller plowing forward - - he needed to be arrested!

PlaneCrazy1978

I'm on my phone all the time. Doing Disney stuff. Like some other people here, I like to disconnect from the outside world. But I still use MDE, Touring Plans, and this site while i'm in the park in line. Why not?

JohnByers

On our families next trip I told my DW I wanted to leave mine locked in the safe in the room and she quickly reminded me how it could be a tool to use in case we got separated, etc. She may be right, I will let her take pics and peruse the app and play with FP and ADR's and I will leave mine off and in a zip lock bag in my backpack :cool:

Geekella

Interesting, I haven't even thought of this. See, I'm going on my first DW trip ever in 6 months. I'm a 27 year old who loves her new galaxy s7, but I'm not one of those that has to be on it every two minutes. I assumed I would have my phone on me for taking pics and maybe the occasional fb status of what I just did/what I thought of the ride I just rode. Since this is a belated honeymoon trip for me and the hub, I will most likely just talk to him during long lines! But when we run out of things to talk about (if that even happens at DW) I'll probably whip my phone out for a 30+ minute wait!

JIMINYCR

I dont. Everyone else is so connected to some kind of device that they are continually looking at some hand held device. The imagineers designed some very creative things that most people ignore, never see, are oblivious to, because their eyes are focused downward. The only reason they know to move forward is because they see the shoes ahead of them move ahead. And sometimes they even miss that and I have to tell them to move up. I'm surprised they even remember what ride they are going on once they reach the front of the line.

DManRightHere

I generally only check my phone for Disney (or Universal) type activities (FP, hours, wait times) No social media and limited texting. I would prefer not to even bring a phone but I kind of need it in case our party is seperated and it helps maximize our time.

For boring ques, I still prefer to stay off of the phone. I would like to be engaged with who I am with and pay attention to others around me. I may get the itch to use my phone but I resist, I can do that anytime at home. We spend a lot of money for our vacations and I would like to enjoy that atmosphere as much as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom