Cost of Cruise is crazy

Ralphlaw

I have experience with just the opposite. We had a child that was a year too young for edge, and had previously done the club/lab and was bored with them. Without hesitation, and without even seeing the child, there was a clipboard and waiver ready to sign saying we would allow the child into the Edge.

When we asked about this PRE-sailing.. they said 'no' and also used the excuse around capacities, etc.. but talking with people they said you can deal with it on embarkment by going to the club itself. Which is exactly what we did, and had no problem at all. I expect Vibe may be more strict, or there may be more screening on why before they might make a decision. But I know for the 'near the line' age for Edge.. it was a ZERO pain issue, except we didn't know either way until we were actually on the ship.

This was in 2013 on the Fantasy.. my kid was 10, and Edge required age 11.

Glad to hear it. My daughter will be 10 in December when we're going on the Fantasy. It would be a nice option to have her go to Edge.

jaklgreen

I have experience with just the opposite. We had a child that was a year too young for edge, and had previously done the club/lab and was bored with them. Without hesitation, and without even seeing the child, there was a clipboard and waiver ready to sign saying we would allow the child into the Edge.

When we asked about this PRE-sailing.. they said 'no' and also used the excuse around capacities, etc.. but talking with people they said you can deal with it on embarkment by going to the club itself. Which is exactly what we did, and had no problem at all. I expect Vibe may be more strict, or there may be more screening on why before they might make a decision. But I know for the 'near the line' age for Edge.. it was a ZERO pain issue, except we didn't know either way until we were actually on the ship.

This was in 2013 on the Fantasy.. my kid was 10, and Edge required age 11.

With us too. my girls are a year apart and I spoke to the cast member at the Edge on the first day when checking in my older daughter, they said that they will go a year up and down if it is not too full. So if by chance the cruise has a ton of kids in the edge then they are less likely to let the younger ones in. So it all depends on the cruise. But they will let a 10 yo in the edge if there is room, especially if there is a sibling in there too.

jaklgreen

The cost of DCL isn't insane when people are comparing with Disney Deluxe and Moderate stays for a week :)

I've done TRs before outlining my actual total cost of trips. My 7 day trips for a family of 5, in a VERY nice room have been roughly 4200-5500.. with total out of pocket roughly in the 7-8k range for the trip.

Just the tickets for the parks for 7 days is over 2300 dollars. Room is 1000-3000+ more. If you were the insane paying 400-500/night for a deluxe.. the prices go even more crazy.. or if you want more than one room.

Then add in food, activities, etc. DCL is not going to be cheaper except in edge cases.. but you certainly feel very different :)

It's so nice to actually have decent room stewards, impeccable table servers, people willing to serve you without any barrier/concern about burden, top level facilities in terms of upkeep, access, etc. It's a throwback to when you actually felt CATERED TO.. not simply pushed through the trough..

I agree. I can see the value in it. For us, as a family of 3(hubby will not cruise) it can still be doable. It would be better if we could go in the slower season but we are happy to get a cruise in every other year. The parks are still cheaper for us especially since we do not eat much, we usually stay at a moderate. For the 3-4(if daddy goes)of us, a 9night stay is still under $5000 but our 7 night fantasy cruise for the 3 of us is just above $5500(not including air fare). The amount of people, of course, makes a big difference. But we love the cruise. If we could afford to go every year, we would.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree. I can see the value in it. For us, as a family of 3(hubby will not cruise) it can still be doable. It would be better if we could go in the slower season but we are happy to get a cruise in every other year. The parks are still cheaper for us especially since we do not eat much, we usually stay at a moderate. For the 3-4(if daddy goes)of us, a 9night stay is still under $5000 but our 7 night fantasy cruise for the 3 of us is just above $5500(not including air fare). The amount of people, of course, makes a big difference. But we love the cruise. If we could afford to go every year, we would.

Well the advantage of the smaller group is you can do those inside cabins cheaper too :) We were doing cruises in Oct/Nov and while I've always been worried about cold.. it's never been an issue. And the price difference is like 50% or more compared to cruising in the summer. And you get either holloween or christmas decor on the ships :)

The price is steep tho.. we were also on a every other year cycle.. but have broken our cycle now and I'm not even sure where our next vacation will be.

NelleBelle

Well the advantage of the smaller group is you can do those inside cabins cheaper too :) We were doing cruises in Oct/Nov and while I've always been worried about cold.. it's never been an issue. And the price difference is like 50% or more compared to cruising in the summer. And you get either holloween or christmas decor on the ships :)

Agreed! My jaw literally hit the floor when I priced cruises for the summer months when my kids are out (as are everyone else's). Now that's insane to have double the prices for the same cruise (and in hurricane season when touring the caribbean)! So we're now "those parents" who take their kids out of school to save some $$ ;) Actually, while true, I work at a trauma hospital and it's next to impossible to get summer off during "trauma" season, so in order to have a family vacation, we do end up going during the school year for our WDW habit.

NelleBelle

I feel for you (and her). I often grumble because my husband gets 6-weeks of vacation/year and I barely eek out 3 weeks *sigh* So he always gets to take off and take the kids on little trips. I applaud all the work your DW does as a teacher--I know it can be a "thankless" job at times, so on behalf of all of our teachers...THANK YOU!!

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Our plan is to do our first cruise as a 7-day. For 3 people, it is going to be about $6,000. If things go as hoped, we will do a week at WDW as well. We will stay at AoA or Pop Century most likely. It has been a while since we stayed at a Value and miss it. We will have to sacrifice a little somewhere and the resort is about the only place that could happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom