Earfell Tower to be removed

ToTBellHop

hmm... i was looking for when this chunk of steel came down, so i went to the USGS seismology site... there is ONE seismograph site in FL...
this one ~
IU DWPF
Disney Wilderness Preserve, Florida, USA

and i cant see on the helipath exactly, but there was a short term something around 10:50 PM eastern last night?

DWPF.png

Time of Death: 10:50 pm.

note2001

Sad....this thing been gone all day and no one even wants to take a step into DHS to grab in the park sightline pictures...
Far faster to photoshop the tower out of old pictures. Results should be about the same, different clouds I suppose.

TyrantBoss

Disney Springs will be represented by its water tower. So the DHS water tower is no longer necessary.
Tower of Terror is the icon for DHS.

And we already know they are renaming DHS into something else.
Would it be Disney's Hollywood (DH)
Disney's Hollywood Kingdom (DHK)
Disneywood (DW)
Personally I prefer....
Disney's International Cinematic Kingdom (DIC.....oh wait....never mind)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
First the Hat, now the Tower. :bawling:. Yes, I know, I'm in the minority on the Hat. What's next, a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay for ToT?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Disney Springs will be represented by its water tower. So the DHS water tower is no longer necessary.
Tower of Terror is the icon for DHS.

And we already know they are renaming DHS into something else.
Would it be Disney's Hollywood (DH)
Disney's Hollywood Kingdom (DHK)
Disneywood (DW)
Personally I prefer....
Disney's International Cinematic Kingdom (DIC.....oh wait....never mind)

How about "The Whatever IP We Just Bought Park, Except We Cannot Use Marvel" Park?

Meeko77

Going by MDE, you would swear LMA and Earfel Tower were still there.
Hollywood-Studios-Vignette-1860x312_2.png
On the MDE website, I don't see this - I see the version with LMA and Earffel Tower removed (and have for the past week or so) - do you know where you found this on the site? Just curious - thanks!

dgp602

hmm... i was looking for when this chunk of steel came down, so i went to the USGS seismology site... there is ONE seismograph site in FL...
this one ~
IU DWPF
Disney Wilderness Preserve, Florida, USA

and i cant see on the helipath exactly, but there was a short term something around 10:50 PM eastern last night?

DWPF.png

And THIS is why these discussion boards are the VERY BEST around! I mean really, give me another boards where one of its members would have the foresight to look at a seismic graph to confirm the demolition of a park prop! Kudos to you, my WDWmagic friend!!

Brian Swan

I agree with you. They have "revamped" it to the point where it is no longer recognizable. I do not view this as an upgrade but rather a destruction of the legend that Walt built. Very disturbing.

That is the problem when you have 30 something year olds running the company. Still too wet behind the (mouse) ears!
The last thing that "Walt built" was PoC in DL in 1967. DHS was the design of corporate Disney to counter US. Yes, there are many things now gone that have a nostalgic value to me - including the Earfell Tower. At DL, BTMRR, Splash, and now SW all involved the "destruction" of what "Walt built" in FrL. Replacing Journey into Inner Space, Circle Vision, and Mission to the Moon were "destroying what Walt built" in TL. But I don't hear many complaints about these. Walt himself said that DL would never be finished. I sometimes wish that there was "Museum Land" where all of the old attractions were relocated so those of us who have been going to Disney parks for 40+ years could still enjoy them. But as much as it sometimes hurts to lose old favorites, I have to applaud Disney for (at least occasionally) keeping the parks fresh and new. But don't get me started on FW...

Tom

Beta Return
It's sort of surreal. DHS (MGM) is the only Disney park I've been alive enough, and consciously aware enough, to experience it's birth and death. I watched all the shows promoting the opening (I was 9 when it opened), and we were there very soon after it opened. I experienced the park at its onset and at its peak, when they added Tower of Terror. I experienced the original backlot tour (the LONG one) and really ate up the "real studio" thing.

And, sadly, I've watched the park be admitted to the ICU and have various life support systems removed one by one.

Yes, I love progress, but it's a shame to see essentially everything that gave the park any character being removed. Lots of nostalgia.

Brian Swan

So let me get this strait. Disney takes 3 months to remove a 30' hat but ONE night to remove a 100+ foot water tower?! I mean they have not done something this fast in decades! Don't get me wrong I get that the hat and the tower had 2 different circumstances but seriously when you think about it the speed is insane!
The hat was dead center of a fully operational park. The tower was on a closed-off section of the park. When you don't have to worry about show buildings right next door, and you don't have to have your mess cleaned up by 9:00 the next morning, you can do things a lot faster. I'm guessing it will be weeks before all of the debris is actually removed...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom