Which Moderate Resort to choose???

JoMarch

Original Poster
Hello,

Which Moderate resort do you prefer? Port Orleans (Riverside – French Quarter?), Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs? I need to narrow my choice down.

On my Disney vacations, I prefer convenience and location to maximize time.

I’m specifically interested in: distance between rooms to the bus stops, pool and the Resorts main area. Also transportation between resort and parks.

Thank you!

tmstephe

I think theme is a wash - it just depends on what you prefer. I personally prefer POR.

In terms of location, it's also a wash - it depends on what park you want to be closest to. Port Orleans is closest to Epcot and has direct boat transportation to Disney Springs. CBR is between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. CSR is closest to Animal Kingdom.

Coronado Springs has a large convention presence which changes the vibe a bit. It's divided into 3 large areas.

Caribbean Beach is divided into 6 "islands" and is very large and very spread out. There is a shortcut across the middle from Aruba and Jamaica to the food court and pool, though. There is also an internal resort bus.

Port Orleans is divided into 3 sections - one for French Quarter and 2 for Riverside (mansions and alligator bayou).

Based on what you say you're prioritizing, I would say French Quarter is the best fit.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!

PrincessRachelT

It all depends on what theme you'd like. I personally love POR, the theme is southern and I love the different sections (the mansions vs. the bayou sections) and it's nice being so close to Disney Springs.
I also really liked Coronado Springs, although it was very big and seemed like the bus system was huge. We had a car so it wasn't an issue for us. It's a little more business than Disney in my opinion, but it had a great pool and a great staff.

DizneyPryncess

Port Orleans FQ is my favorite moderate. It's a small resort, so everything is pretty close together. We were in the furthest building from the pool & lobby last time, and it was still not far at all. It's also a convenient location to Disney Spring, as you can hop on the ferry over to it.

JIMINYCR

POFQ.... Not as spread out as the other resorts. Always has been quieter and not so crazy filled with kids. The drive to any of the parks usually no longer than 20 min, unless you have to route around through Riverside stops. The boat ride to DS is very relaxing and enjoyable. We prefer building #4, but none of the buildings are far from pools, hot tub or food court. The food court isnt as good as RS but it has decent selections... Beignets...They offer entertainment on certain nights. A walking path connects RS to POFQ. Best Friends is just down the street if you have a pet that needs a place to stay.

Herdman

I would agree with POFQ. The smallness of the resort in getting back to your room after a long day is just great. We like Riverside also and you'd have a great time there too, but I'd give a slight nod to FQ.

Buzz2001

CSR. Distance between rooms and pools/bus stops is not an issue at CSR. There are bus stops located in each village of the resort. It is a distance to walk from the ranchos to the main building though. CSR's main pool are is awesome. Very large pool, hot tub and water slide. The business class rooms with lounge access is our favorite spot. The room location for these rooms is close to everything.

Yes, CSR is a convention resort but because it is, you get some amenities not offered at the other resorts. Fitness center, spa, salon, and a dance club. ALso having large groups helps keep the buses/pools less crowded.

twag1

Have to chime in because I'm sitting in building 43 at CBR as I write this.

We hadn't stayed here before so wanted to give it a try. One of the knocks you hear is that the resort is big and spread out; which it is. But you can minimize that effect, and it actually might be a benefit.

As noted, there are separate sections of the resort. We requested either Jamaica or Aruba, and ended up in Jamaica which seems perfect. It is the first stop on the bus route, and while there are times you do have to make the whole route through the resort, most times in the morning it seems we just make only two additional stops and we're on our way.

These buildings are near the shortcut bridge to the building complex that holds the gift shop, grab-n-go and the restaurants with the main pool and activities there. So even though we're on the opposite side of the water from the hub, no major hike at all, plus you're just far away enough that it's nice and quiet.

Nice sized pool right here that is less chaotic than the main pool. What we really like are the sand beach areas in front of the individual complexes. While there is no swimming, for those that just like to lounge in the sun, these are perfect and not really busy at all. Nice option to sitting on a crowded pool deck. Our little one loves to just go out and play in the sand.

Can't pass too much judgment on the food court as we only ate there once, but it was fine. I had a roast turkey plate with what sure as heck tasted like REAL mashed potatoes. Turkey was done just right, too.

Rooms are identical to CSR - best as I can remember anyway!

So - spread out - - yes - - but you don't have to walk ALL that much unless you really want to. Plus I think that layout helps keep things fairly quiet on this side of the water - - at least so far!

patch553

we loved the French quarter, but there isn't really a wrong answer here they all have there plus's and minuses. POFQ just edges it for us

BigRedDad

I have only been to Coronado Springs and POR. Coronado Springs bus system is great. My experience at POR was horrible. At POR, it was best to just get on the POFQ bus when they weren't shared. At MK, we watched 3 POFQ buses go off with only 5-10 on it each time. We had over 100 people waiting for the POR bus (we were at the front of the line). I told the dad behind me if another POFQ came by, I was jumping on it. Sure enough it did. We hopped on it with no one else. Dropped of at POFQ, walked back to our room, got in bathing suits, snacks, mugs, walked to the lobby and the dad I was in front of just got dropped off. It was a 90 minute wait. Even when they ran well, it was 30-45 minutes, never close to the 20 minute window.

I love POFQ it's the best!! Much smaller 1 bus stop!! POR is big has a lot of bus stops it is a nice resort don't get me wrong but if you want small stay at French Quarter. You can take the boat to Downtown Disney Oops!! Disney Springs (I'll never get used to Disney Springs) :joyfull: which is very .relaxing or walk over to Riverside for dinner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom