Imagineering Weekends : One Sentence Competition Season 2

tcool123

Original Poster
Can it not be themed to Africa?
It would be tough to not have it themed to Africa seeing how it's five sentences at max, and it would be simpler to have it part of an existing land. However if you can find a way to balance out a new land a new attraction, and your reason why it should be built in five sentences then go for it. Just for reference here is a quickly drawn map for your expansion pad.
Untitled.png

IAmNotAHufflepuff

A new Tarzan dark ride will take up most of the expansion pad. If you will, picture a Fantasyland style dark ride going through the hi lights of the movie with modern effects and grand show scenes and you get the gist of it.

This should be built because DAK really needs family-friendly dark rides, and can please executives by having an IP attached to it.

deere839

This new Land will be based in the north and south poles with ice and water all around you as your station in the artic.This New Boat ride attraction will slowly move around the arctics From Polar Bears to penguins you will see them all on this 40 min boat ride.as you exit the ride your station in the arctic with a new restaurant to a new gift shop.you will also be able to see animals out side the ride in there natrual habitat like the rein deer to the snowy owl.it will also be the world coldest ride with some rooms going under 40 degrees.

qxUfNpj.png

Doodlyday

This new attraction would be almost a mixture of attractions: the chaos of DINOSAUR, the ride vehicle style of Space Mountain, and the message of the now defunct plot to Kilimanjaro Safaris, while also indoors. We are taken out on a tour in CSV's (Camouflaged Safari Vehicles) to experience the sunset on the savanna, moving through a scene as we hear the beautiful animal sounds and watch as the color changes, the beginning of the attraction (about a minute). However, as our tour is taking us back, we hear bullets from poachers, causing our vehicle to speed up. Our tour guide calls the police, but after the phone call, we find ourselves racing through the jungle, encountering both friendly and harmful creatures. We are soon blinded by the headlights of the authorities, who lead us back to the station whilst the poachers are arrested.

Brer Panther

The expansion pad will be used for a new land themed to the bustling streets of Zootopia. After all, Zootopia is one of Disney's most successful animated films, so why WOULDN'T Disney find a way to squeeze it into the parks?

Among the attractions here are a dark ride (in the style of Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin over at Disneyland) that casts guests as members of the Zootopia Police Force for a high-speed chase through the city streets. If you're hungry, you can stop by a recreation of the elephant ice cream parlor from the film. To avoid the awkwardness of having the cartoony skyscrapers of the film visible from Harambe, the backs of the buildings will be designed to look more like those found in an African village.

spacemt354

Chili's
South America
retro_up_movie_posters1.jpg

Disney's Animal Kingdom cherishes all animals, real and imagined, with a core theme of exploration and discovery weaved through all of its attractions. With that in 2019, after the success of Pandora: the World of Avatar, the expansion pad in-between Pandora, Africa, and Discovery Island will be themed to the continent of South America. Seamlessly flowing from the jungle atmosphere of Discovery Island and the lush forests of Pandora, this interconnected land will provide a transition point in the park, while also supplying Disney's Animal Kingdom with a much needed indoor family dark ride in Up: Adventure is Out There which will be a Peter Pan's Flight style dark ride as you ride in a hot air balloon through the classic Pixar tale. The Wilderness Explorer Trails will also be given their proper place in South America, along with Up Character Meet and Greets, the addition of a new Brazilian style table-service restaurant, as well as a unique hiking trail through the Cambodian Rainforest. Overall the land will add to the aesthetic beauty of Disney's Animal Kingdom, with the bountiful rainforest and waterfall surroundings, while also giving the park a much needed family dark ride based on a popular IP, also making the decision a realistic one as well.​

RMichael21

The Caverns of Wonder - Coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2020

Coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2020 will be an all new land featuring a new side of the animal world previously unmentioned in Walt Disney World's fourth theme park, a place where few have ever ventured: the underground caverns that lurk below the Earth's crust. This new, air conditioned, indoor land (great for keeping park guests out of torrential Florida weather) will immerse guests into the expansive, wide-open and majestic caverns where they will come face to face with some of the animal kingdom's most spectacular creatures, both real and imagined (however, don't fret as this land will be wide open, creating an wondrous and awe-inspiring experience that won't cause those afraid of tight and dark spaces to become anxious). The Caverns of Wonder will feature a new, family friendly E-Ticket boat ride that transports guests into the middle of a spectacular adventure by a well known explorer expedition group who want to record, document and discover several new species of underground animals and a high-capacity C-Ticket omnimover attraction through the expedition camp, its labs, and the surrounding caves (and encountering several animals along the way). In addition, several dining and shopping venues inside the land will even further immerse guests, where they can dine in one of the most beautiful settings in all of Walt Disney World and can buy some of the earth's most valuable treasures. Finally, The Caverns of Wonder will provide a seamless transition between Discovery Island, Africa and Pandora: The World of Avatar, which will permit for fully immersive environments in all four themed areas and the land will round out the park's offerings with high capacity attractions and entertainment that will give guests more to do throughout the day and into the evening: finally making Disney's Animal Kingdom a full day theme park for Walt Disney World guests.

Matt7187

Coming to Animal Kingdom will be a mini land based on the sprawling outback of Australia. There will be a "Safari" type ride where you encounter many live animals found in Australia such as koalas and kangaroos. There will also be a C ticket Rescuers Down Under dark ride for everybody to enjoy! This land will be a perfect transition between the forests of Pandora and the vast plains of Africa.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A new expansion pad will be a land based upon an original idea for DAK... Beastlie Kingdom. This new area will be focused on all Mythological Animals but focused on Dragons and will finally finish offering what DAK's Official Park Logo promised with the inclusion of the Dragon on the logo.

There will be a new Dark Ride featuring animatronic Dragons which culminates in a...wait for it...a gift shop specializing in all things "Dragon".

disneylandparis.jpg

Flippin'Flounder

The new addition to Animal Kingdom is designed to increase the capacity of the park, while people-eating near 2 of the flagship attractions. This ride will be a boat ride, that takes you through takes you through the world, with animal animatronics throughout. You see Africa, Australia, Antarctica, North America, South America, and Asia. The on-board audio will teach you about the animals, as your boat flows by them.

tcool123

Original Poster
Episode 1 Part 4
An African Adventure

A new Tarzan dark ride will take up most of the expansion pad. If you will, picture a Fantasyland style dark ride going through the hi lights of the movie with modern effects and grand show scenes and you get the gist of it.

This should be built because DAK really needs family-friendly dark rides, and can please executives by having an IP attached to it.
I really wish that you had the rest of time you had to improve this submission. By the sounds of it, it's a book report ride? I do however like your reason.

This new Land will be based in the north and south poles with ice and water all around you as your station in the artic.
This New Boat ride attraction will slowly move around the arctics From Polar Bears to penguins you will see them all on this 40 min boat ride.
as you exit the ride your station in the arctic with a new restaurant to a new gift shop.
you will also be able to see animals out side the ride in there natrual habitat like the rein deer to the snowy owl.
it will also be the world coldest ride with some rooms going under 40 degrees.

qxUfNpj.png

Wait so guests will board a boat ride, sail around the Poles and they will encounter deadly animals that can swim on the rides such as a Polar Bear? I also think that you should've had entrances to this land from Harambe and Pandora. This way it'll allow for better crowd control. I really do wish that you had a reason to why they should build this.

This new attraction would be almost a mixture of attractions: the chaos of DINOSAUR, the ride vehicle style of Space Mountain, and the message of the now defunct plot to Kilimanjaro Safaris, while also indoors. We are taken out on a tour in CSV's (Camouflaged Safari Vehicles) to experience the sunset on the savanna, moving through a scene as we hear the beautiful animal sounds and watch as the color changes, the beginning of the attraction (about a minute). However, as our tour is taking us back, we hear bullets from poachers, causing our vehicle to speed up. Our tour guide calls the police, but after the phone call, we find ourselves racing through the jungle, encountering both friendly and harmful creatures. We are soon blinded by the headlights of the authorities, who lead us back to the station whilst the poachers are arrested.

I have mixed feelings on this attraction. It sounds like you reskinned Dinosaur, threw in Safari Tour Guide, and gave it the old Safari story. I feel as it would've been better for a more original ride, or less of a focus on the ride, and more of a focus on the surrounding area and the reason why it should be built.

The expansion pad will be used for a new land themed to the bustling streets of Zootopia. After all, Zootopia is one of Disney's most successful animated films, so why WOULDN'T Disney find a way to squeeze it into the parks?

Among the attractions here are a dark ride (in the style of Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin over at Disneyland) that casts guests as members of the Zootopia Police Force for a high-speed chase through the city streets. If you're hungry, you can stop by a recreation of the elephant ice cream parlor from the film. To avoid the awkwardness of having the cartoony skyscrapers of the film visible from Harambe, the backs of the buildings will be designed to look more like those found in an African village.
While I love Zootopia, and I do think that a Zootopia attraction should be built. The location feels off. To me I fear it may be too cartoony to blend with the realistic African village, or the mystical atmosphere of Pandora. So while I like your idea, what kills it for me is the location. I personally feel it should be more isolated.

South America
retro_up_movie_posters1.jpg

Disney's Animal Kingdom cherishes all animals, real and imagined, with a core theme of exploration and discovery weaved through all of its attractions. With that in 2019, after the success of Pandora: the World of Avatar, the expansion pad in-between Pandora, Africa, and Discovery Island will be themed to the continent of South America. Seamlessly flowing from the jungle atmosphere of Discovery Island and the lush forests of Pandora, this interconnected land will provide a transition point in the park, while also supplying Disney's Animal Kingdom with a much needed indoor family dark ride in Up: Adventure is Out There which will be a Peter Pan's Flight style dark ride as you ride in a hot air balloon through the classic Pixar tale. The Wilderness Explorer Trails will also be given their proper place in South America, along with Up Character Meet and Greets, the addition of a new Brazilian style table-service restaurant, as well as a unique hiking trail through the Cambodian Rainforest. Overall the land will add to the aesthetic beauty of Disney's Animal Kingdom, with the bountiful rainforest and waterfall surroundings, while also giving the park a much needed family dark ride based on a popular IP, also making the decision a realistic one as well.
Overall I love your land however I do have some nitpicks. Cambodia I believe a neighbor country to Thailand, and both of which are located in Asia not South America. So a Cambodian Rainforest would stick out like a soar thumb. Not as bad as Chester & Hester, but it would still stick out. Next thing is that this reminds me a lot of a past challenge submission which someone/team turned in a PPF style Up dark ride. Overall however aside from the Cambodian mishap I like the themeing and your submission a lot.

The Caverns of Wonder - Coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2020

Coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2020 will be an all new land featuring a new side of the animal world previously unmentioned in Walt Disney World's fourth theme park, a place where few have ever ventured: the underground caverns that lurk below the Earth's crust.
This new, air conditioned, indoor land (great for keeping park guests out of torrential Florida weather) will immerse guests into the expansive, wide-open and majestic caverns where they will come face to face with some of the animal kingdom's most spectacular creatures, both real and imagined (however, don't fret as this land will be wide open, creating an wondrous and awe-inspiring experience that won't cause those afraid of tight and dark spaces to become anxious).
The Caverns of Wonder will feature a new, family friendly E-Ticket boat ride that transports guests into the middle of a spectacular adventure by a well known explorer expedition group who want to record, document and discover several new species of underground animals and a high-capacity C-Ticket omnimover attraction through the expedition camp, its labs, and the surrounding caves (and encountering several animals along the way).
In addition, several dining and shopping venues inside the land will even further immerse guests, where they can dine in one of the most beautiful settings in all of Walt Disney World and can buy some of the earth's most valuable treasures.
Finally, The Caverns of Wonder will provide a seamless transition between Discovery Island, Africa and Pandora: The World of Avatar, which will permit for fully immersive environments in all four themed areas and the land will round out the park's offerings with high capacity attractions and entertainment that will give guests more to do throughout the day and into the evening: finally making Disney's Animal Kingdom a full day theme park for Walt Disney World guests.
When I read your title I thought it was referring to the Caves of Wonder in Aladdin, but that is not the case. Overall I like your submission however I feel as this is strongly based on Journey to the Center of the Earth. What I'm concerned about is the fac you plan to have animal exhibits, an omnimover and a boat ride all coexist. This sounds a bit impracticable Unless your animals are like snakes and tarantulas. Overall I loved your concepts, but realistically I don't see it all fitting.

Coming to Animal Kingdom will be a mini land based on the sprawling outback of Australia. There will be a "Safari" type ride where you encounter many live animals found in Australia such as koalas and kangaroos. There will also be a C ticket Rescuers Down Under dark ride for everybody to enjoy! This land will be a perfect transition between the forests of Pandora and the vast plains of Africa.
Same problem RM had, you had. I don't see a safari and a dark ride including all the space for the animals fitting comfortably here. I also worry that having two safari rides that are similar yet slightly distinct won't be the best way to go. I also don't see how the rocky landscape of the Outback would be a great transitional point from a village to an alien forest. I also don't think a Rescuers dark ride is a viable route as it is not a very well known Disney IP.

My inclusion is a Splash Mountain-type flume ride, themed to "The Jungle Book". You will join Mowgli as he makes his way to the man village, meets Baloo the bear, and has run-ins with the likes of Kaa the python, King Louie the ambitious primate, and, in a hair-raising flume climax, the dreaded tiger Shere Khan.
My first problem is that this story of the Jungle Book takes place in Asia, which already has a land. You also really don't a reason on why this should be built. Some people said how AK needed family rides, other said to make for a good transition. This however lacks that comment. I also feel by the way you described the ride is a bit lackluster.

A new expansion pad will be a land based upon an original idea for DAK... Beastlie Kingdom. This new area will be focused on all Mythological Animals but focused on Dragons and will finally finish offering what DAK's Official Park Logo promised with the inclusion of the Dragon on the logo.

There will be a new Dark Ride featuring animatronic Dragons which culminates in a...wait for it...a gift shop specializing in all things "Dragon".

View attachment 135560
So the land will focus on mythical creatures, but focus on dragons? So the land will focus on only dragons? Also I feel that if your only reason for having this land is due to the dragon in the logo. Then I feel like this shouldn't be an attraction. Your dark ride based on dragons was also...wait for it...lackluster.

The new addition to Animal Kingdom is designed to increase the capacity of the park, while people-eating near 2 of the flagship attractions. This ride will be a boat ride, that takes you through takes you through the world, with animal animatronics throughout. You see Africa, Australia, Antarctica, North America, South America, and Asia. The on-board audio will teach you about the animals, as your boat flows by them.
So your opening a Jungle Cruise, but expanded to all the continents? A World Cruise? I personally feel this should be placed or be part of Discovery Island due to the fact of the whole world being represented. Overall I found this attraction to be an upgrade on the Jungle Cruise, but with an odd location.

1. spacemt354
2. RMichael21
3. Flippin' Flounder
4. Matt7187
5. Brer Panther
6. IAmNotAHufflepuff
7. deere839
8. unkadug
9. mharrigton
10. Doodlyday
13T. IDInstitute
13T. mickeyfan5534
13T. MA Screamin'

Point Rankings

Matt 7187 - ?
spacemt354 - ?
RMichael21 - ?
unkadug - 2
Flippin'Flounder - 1
MA Screamin' - 0
deeree839 - 0
Doodlyday - 0
mickeyfan5534 - 0
Brer Panther - 0
mharrigton - 0
IDInstitute - 0
IAmNotAHufflepuff - 0

spacemt354 with eight points!

Which leaves RMichael21 with only seven points, and Matt7187 with only five points.

I hope you all had fun this episode! I know I had fun hosting and judging!

Stay posted to this thread to see future works that will involve audience participation! :D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Congrats to the winners...well done...now some thoughts of my own:

I think this whole thing was way too biased on one persons personal feelings.

The title of the contest was "one sentence" contest but that was thrown to the wayside immediately.

Then pictures were expected.

Then, if TCool didn't personally like the basis of a concept it was immediately dismissed.

Then he started reading into and extrapolating peoples ideas into what he thought were someones intentions from a "nutshell" concept.

This wasn't suppose to be a full thought out and planned Imagineering contest, but was certainly judged as one.

tcool123

Original Poster
Congrats to the winners...well done...now some thoughts of my own:

I think this whole thing was way too biased on one persons personal feelings.

The title of the contest was "one sentence" contest but that was thrown to the wayside immediately.

Then pictures were expected.

Then, if TCool didn't personally like the basis of a concept it was immediately dismissed.

Then he started reading into and extrapolating peoples ideas into what he thought were someones intentions from a "nutshell" concept.

This wasn't suppose to be a full thought out and planned Imagineering contest, but was certainly judged as one.
Thanks for the critique, and I will try to improve! :)

On the terms of being critiqued I created a survey tobe able to have anonymus feedback. It is just three questions, and then some comment boxes. I hope to use the survey to improve the contest next time around. The link is below, just click it, and you'll be on your way! :D
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TFXYNRC

mharrington

It seems like all of my inclusions are rated as 0, because they were so poor and/or they broke the game rules. Part of this is my personal bias towards the castle parks and Epcot, but it also stems from the fact that the Studios and the Animal Kingdom are not high on my personal list. I'm also not used to cranking out these ideas of mine on short notice. I usually like to stick to my own threads. In any case, this has a negative impact on my confidence. If this were an Imagineering competition thread, I would likely be thrown out for getting such a bad score. It's reasons like these why I don't usually partake in these competitions very often.

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks for hosting a great reboot tcool! Look forward to the next iterations.

To provide a little feedback, I do agree with a lot of what @unkadug had referenced before.

To help for the future, I would say

- go back to the old rules, 1-2 sentences. This comp should really be an elevator pitch of armchair imagineering concepts, and the more sentences you're allowed, the more likely it is that detail will net you more points, just for providing a better description of the idea.

- as for judging, I'm not gonna say that I shouldn't win or something, I really appreciate that you liked my concepts, but even for this round I said Cambodia when I meant to say Columbia, and that mess up alone I thought would be enough to have one of the several well done projects take the win. Nevertheless though, I thought you were fair for the most part, I'd try to work on not being as dismissive of some ideas...and I think having everyone's projects be 1-2 sentences will really help you out in that regard because everyone will have the same playing field.

- as for mharrington's comment above, it's not that your projects are poor. They really aren't. You've been around this site longer than most of us combined and your work speaks for itself. For the future, I'd just rank bronze, silver, gold - it's not necessary to rank 4th place and below because I'm sure it's always a toss up and we don't want to negate people's interest based on that.

But again, props for hosting this round and I look forward to the next one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom