Season Of The Force - Tomorrowland Overlay Opens November 16th

George Lucas on a Bench

Sadly, but expectedly, they have extended Season of the Farce. I never thought I'd hear myself say anything remotely similar to this, but I wish they would remove the Williams music and restore Giacchino's score.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm a big John Williams fan and mostly a Tomorrowland hater. For me, the three greatest things in life are Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, Star Trek and John Williams. Yet, despite this, I miss the Tomorrowland loop!

D

Deleted member 107043

In case you were wondering what impact the Star Wars overlay at Disneyland and WDW was having on the resorts, check out this OCRegister article a friend shared with me on Facebook.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-703495-percent-star.html

"Attendance at Disney’s U.S. parks is up 10 percent over last year’s first quarter. Guests are spending 7 percent more because of higher costs for admission, food, beverages and merchandise, said Christine McCarthy, Disney’s chief financial officer."

I think we can safely say that SW Land is going to blow the roof off of Disneyland.

GiveMeTheMusic

In case you were wondering what impact the Star Wars overlay at Disneyland and WDW was having on the resorts, check out this OCRegister article a friend shared with me on Facebook.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-703495-percent-star.html

"Attendance at Disney’s U.S. parks is up 10 percent over last year’s first quarter. Guests are spending 7 percent more because of higher costs for admission, food, beverages and merchandise, said Christine McCarthy, Disney’s chief financial officer."

I think we can safely say that SW Land is going to blow the roof off of Disneyland.

The problem with Disney's strategy here is that they're openly attributing a jump in guest spending to higher prices. So 10% more people are showing up, but spending is only up 7% - and the reason for that is higher prices. One could surmise this means fewer people are actually buying the overpriced food and merch. This is not a long-term strategy, as you can only charge so much for a First Order Burger before people stop buying them.

They can only improve profits so much via labor cuts and price hikes. At some point, the strategy runs out.

Also, I'd be loath to attribute the entire 10% increase in attendance to Season of the Force/Star Wars Awakens. This quarter included the end of the holiday season, and the 60th has been a massive draw for DL vs the same quarter the previous year. While SOTF is a factor, the pull factor of the 60th and PTN shouldn't be underestimated. The more likely story is that a combination of strong holiday season, SOTF and the 60th push drove an increase in attendance over the previous year.

Which isn't meant to diminish SOTF, which has singlehandedly reinvigorated Tomorrowland, making it the most unpleasant place in the park for most of the day as choking crowds try to get to Star Tours, Hyperspace Mountain and Launch Bay. I bet someone regrets not approving the plan to move Astro Orbiter away from the entrance of the land last year, as that giant eyesore causes severe bottlenecking.

Frankly, DL isn't prepared for the crowds that will crush it when Star Wars Land opens. It's going to be an absolute nightmare with capacity closures becoming de rigeur instead of a Christmas week phenomenon. And just like years gone by, DCA will become the backfill park for anyone who couldn't get into DL.

I'll shut up now.

Curious Constance

The problem with Disney's strategy here is that they're openly attributing a jump in guest spending to higher prices. So 10% more people are showing up, but spending is only up 7% - and the reason for that is higher prices. One could surmise this means fewer people are actually buying the overpriced food and merch. This is not a long-term strategy, as you can only charge so much for a First Order Burger before people stop buying them.

They can only improve profits so much via labor cuts and price hikes. At some point, the strategy runs out.

Also, I'd be loath to attribute the entire 10% increase in attendance to Season of the Force/Star Wars Awakens. This quarter included the end of the holiday season, and the 60th has been a massive draw for DL vs the same quarter the previous year. While SOTF is a factor, the pull factor of the 60th and PTN shouldn't be underestimated. The more likely story is that a combination of strong holiday season, SOTF and the 60th push drove an increase in attendance over the previous year.

Which isn't meant to diminish SOTF, which has singlehandedly reinvigorated Tomorrowland, making it the most unpleasant place in the park for most of the day as choking crowds try to get to Star Tours, Hyperspace Mountain and Launch Bay. I bet someone regrets not approving the plan to move Astro Orbiter away from the entrance of the land last year, as that giant eyesore causes severe bottlenecking.

Frankly, DL isn't prepared for the crowds that will crush it when Star Wars Land opens. It's going to be an absolute nightmare with capacity closures becoming de rigeur instead of a Christmas week phenomenon. And just like years gone by, DCA will become the backfill park for anyone who couldn't get into DL.

I'll shut up now.

I don't think she meant that while attendance is up 10% from last year the spending is only up 7% from last year. I take that to mean there are 10% more guests than there was last year, and the average guest is spending 7% more than the average guest spent this time last year.

Travel Junkie

The attendance gains at DLR last quarter I would wager have very very little to do with the HyperSpace Mountain and Launch Bay and have a large portion to do with the 60th Anniversary offerings. Ever since the 60th kicked off, DLR has seen huge crowds.

SW land however will be a massive attendance and revenue driver for the resort.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland's rise in attendance most likely has to do with the 60th and not the Star Wars overlay in Tomorrowland. Let's not forget Launch Bay opened in, what, November?

No one is denying Star Wars Land is going to be popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom