Universal to Get Their Own MagicBands?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe they should fix their app first. Its got this horrid tendency when it does actually load to cache the ride times. You hate MM+ already ? You're going to have lots of insurance claims for destroyed phones with Uni's app.

doctornick

Having an all in one waterproof media for tickets and other features just makes sense and is very guest friendly. It's no surprise that Uni is hoping to have these online for the opening of Volcano Bay. Having a wearable that is waterproof that can be used for park tickets, room entry, and charging is a sensible direction for any theme park as it frees guests from having to carry their wallets.

The irony is course that Uni kinda mocked MBs in Jurassic World.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why is everyone assuming bands?, RFID technology sure as its more reliable than paper and scanners I'm thinking RFID cards waterproof cheap and reliable plus room key becomes ticket media.

BrianV

Just got bck from great wolf lodge outside of boston yesterday and they have a sort of magicband used to access the water park and to open doors. Super convenient, especially at a water park. Never took my wallet with me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Mostly because its more convenient. Waving your hand, vs. pulling out a card from your pocket or wallet. Then there's dealing with kids and their "cards" Adults may very now have to carry theirs and the kids.

Riggt, You mean how you have to take them off to open your room door, or make a purchase and screwing around to get the mickey to mickey to work. yeah that's really convenient where with a card you never need to remove it from your lanyard.

A band COULD be convenient if it works as easily as a RFID card ie wave it in the general direction of the reader and it WORKS.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Riggt, You mean how you have to take them off to open your room door, or make a purchase and screwing around to get the mickey to mickey to work. yeah that's really convenient where with a card you never need to remove it from your lanyard.

A band COULD be convenient if it works as easily as a RFID card ie wave it in the general direction of the reader and it WORKS.
I've never had the issue, it has worked for me, my wife and kids seamlessly. I love it.

arko

I have never had to take mine off to do any of those things. After the first time using them on both the Front gate turnstiles and the FP turnstiles I have never had an issue, and neither has the rest of my family inculding my 8 year old son. In fact I find cards more annoying because I have to take them out of my pocket or carry around a lanyard which annoys me much more than a bracelet. Now I will agree had they put slightly more long range scanners on the turnstiles waving through them would be easier, but given the way people line up at the FP turnstiles and rides in general my guess is they were worried about capturing the wrong RFID tag so they went with basically contact scanners.

PinnySmart

Maybe they should fix their app first. Its got this horrid tendency when it does actually load to cache the ride times. You hate MM+ already ? You're going to have lots of insurance claims for destroyed phones with Uni's app.
I have noticed this and it is quite maddening.

Just got bck from great wolf lodge outside of boston yesterday and they have a sort of magicband used to access the water park and to open doors. Super convenient, especially at a water park. Never took my wallet with me.

I actually read that Disney got the MagicBand idea from Great Wolf!

This seems interesting...I wonder if you can pick character ones for Universal if/when they come out. I would like a band of the Despicable Me girls, a Yo-Kai Watch band (since Nintendo owns distribution rights to the game in that franchise and Universal Studios Japan did an experience based on that franchise, it is likely they can try a Yo-Kai Watch attraction in North America), a Rocky Horror band (since they did a live show based on the movie for Halloween Horror Nights, and I really want a Columbia band), any Pokemon band, and any Dr. Seuss band.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom