2016 Lawsuits against Disney

marissieviolissie

Hmmm.... they do cause the loss of ability to enjoy life, so I might have a case :D

Where I come from we have our own Morgan and Morgan (the Moszkowicz family ) so if I can cough up enough money....
I can cough something up but I'm not sure they take that as a deposit :hungry:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I'm haven't read the complaints, but if someone trips and falls due to a broken sidewalk or gets cut on a gate that has a sharp corner, I'm all for the person having their medical bills paid. When people want to sue just because they got hurt and it's their fault, I have no pity for them.

I've read the complaints, they're all cookie cutter for the most part. Only two that seem to have a shred of validity are the bumping trains on the TTA & the discrimination one. Maybe.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder if in the car breakin one it went something like this...

Guest doesn't trust staff or room safe (or just doesn't fit). Goes to front desk and asks them to put in their safe, Disney declines/refuses and suggests guest put items in their personal car if they do not want to leave them in the room.

Even if it's just jewelry- you can get to the tens of thousands quickly

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I wonder if in the car breakin one it went something like this...

Guest doesn't trust staff or room safe (or just doesn't fit). Goes to front desk and asks them to put in their safe, Disney declines/refuses and suggests guest put items in their personal car if they do not want to leave them in the room.

Even if it's just jewelry- you can get to the tens of thousands quickly

No, it said in the complaint that his room wasn't ready so he left his stuff in his car.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Ha... Sometimes I do wish for simple community justice

As someone who used to carry around a LOT of high-dollar camera gear in my trunk..... (I dont anymore)... Its beyond comprehension why people allow their valuables to be within sight.

Yes, i would hide things, disable the trunk release and often chain my camera bag to the car itself to keep anything from being stolen. You have to assume that a hotel parking lot is an easy target.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think what a lot of these people bank on is the Magic number. Disney as do most companies of their size know the cost of litigation. Reading through some of these it is apparent that some lack any merit at all. However, a company like Disney does not want to spend 20k just so it can be proven right. That being said it can't just make an offer to anybody willing to sue. It must pick and chose its battles. Some of these individuals (with marginal cases) will be offered 5-10k just to go away (which when after lawyers fees and taxes won't equate to much). Disney will defend the frivolous actions against it because it sets a bad precedent.

DisneyCane

This is super interesting. I just took Torts class in Law school. I wonder if there is an assumption of risk clause in your ticket for the parks and if by going to the park you accept all liability for injuries of your own negligence and of the negligence of the Disney company? A lot of ski resorts use this kind of language, and courts are mixed about the enforcement of these clauses. I'm not sure how Florida Jurisdictions look at this.

With respect to Ski Resorts, I know from going out to Colorado (to Ski, not other things!) that there is a Colorado State Law that releases ski resorts from any liability for injuries arising from skiing, snowboarding and related activities. I don't think that law would apply if a chair fell off of a lift.

JoeCamel

With respect to Ski Resorts, I know from going out to Colorado (to Ski, not other things!) that there is a Colorado State Law that releases ski resorts from any liability for injuries arising from skiing, snowboarding and related activities. I don't think that law would apply if a chair fell off of a lift.

Also known as the Sonny Bono law......

Cesar R M

A Valentine's Day filing slipped by, a former Waitress at the Plaza is alleging Disney Florida Minimum Wage Act.

Actual employment attorneys would have to sort thru the legalese, but CMs, this one is worth following.
Dave, you really need to expand your posts further.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Dave, you really need to expand your posts further.

The link is in my first post, forgot to repost it at the end. Basically, if I understand correctly, when you are in a tipped position and X% of your work doing non-tipped duties (open, close, etc.) the employer is supposed to add in a credit or essentially make up the difference. Apparently the mouse did not do that.

The waitress is essentially arguing that. She likely has a decent case.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The link is in my first post, forgot to repost it at the end. Basically, if I understand correctly, when you are in a tipped position and X% of your work doing non-tipped duties (open, close, etc.) the employer is supposed to add in a credit or essentially make up the difference. Apparently the mouse did not do that.

And will likely result in wage & hour investigators reviewing other positions to insure Disney is complying with Fla minimum wage regulations across the board. I've seen an individual case such as hers grow to a major problem for a company. Especially with regards to how wait staff is compensated. As it can have IRS implications. And you know what the IRS thinks about tips... Not saying this is the case here.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
And will likely result in wage & hour investigators reviewing other positions to insure Disney is complying with Fla minimum wage regulations across the board. I've seen an individual case such as hers grow to a major problem for a company. Especially with regards to how wait staff is compensated. As it can have IRS implications. And you know what the IRS thinks about tips... Not saying this is the case here.

I agree completely. The interrogatories that were filed were pretty amusing.

Considering the number of tipped employees that Disney has I can see them settling this one quickly and quietly.

Cesar R M

thanks! got it now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom