The Force Awakens

Wendy Pleakley

Episode 8 has a new release date: December 15, 2017.

The film was reportedly going through some last-minute script revisions, but I imagine the box-office performance of the current installment over the Christmas break was the real motivator for the change.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The film was reportedly going through some last-minute script revisions, but I imagine the box-office performance of the current installment over the Christmas break was the real motivator for the change.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Avatar II since it's scheduled to be release 10 days later.

Wendy Pleakley

It will be interesting to see what happens to Avatar II since it's scheduled to be release 10 days later.

Avatar 2 hasn't even started filming yet, so seems highly unlikely it will meet that release date regardless of Star Wars moving.

They probably also spoke to James Cameron, due to being partners in the theme park attractions. It is not in Disney's interest to sabotage Avatar at the box office.

BuddyThomas

Here is the article that appeared in Variety about this:

“Star Wars” fans will have to wait a little longer for “Episode VIII,” with Disney moving the release date from May 26, 2017, to Dec. 15, 2017.

The studio also shifted the date for the release of “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” to May 26, 2017, previously set for July 7, 2017.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” continues to smash box office records since its release on Dec. 18. It’s currently the highest-grossing movie in U.S. history, and is also the third highest-grossing movie worldwide, with its current global cume standing at $1.88 billion.

“Episode VIII” is currently in pre-production and will begin principal photography in London next month. Rian Johnson is taking the reins from J.J. Abrams, who helmed “The Force Awakens,” to write and direct the upcoming sequel.

Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman will produce “Episode VIII.” Abrams, Tom Karnowski and Jason McGatlin will exec produce. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac, who were all introduced in “The Force Awakens,” will return to star.

The “Star Wars” release date shift isn’t great news for Warner Bros., which is releasing Steven Spielberg’s “Ready Player One” on Dec. 15, 2017, as well."

Figments Friend

I think it's good they are pushing back the release date for 'VIII' and taking the extra time to revise the script.
This will (hopefully) mean a better end product..and a finer film.
There was a lot of intended mystery and some unanswered questions in 'VII' that can be further elaborated on in the next chapter.
I'm sure i am not alone in wanting to learn more about the Knights of Ren and Rey's backstory.

I wouldn't be surprised if audience reactions to certain characters in 'The Force Awakens' has prompted some revisions.
There seems to be some serious hard core fan support out there for Rey and Kylo Ren...and all kinds of fan theories about their past and possible future.
The way things ended in 'VII' it can go in any direction.
Let's hope it's an interesting one.

I'm looking forward to what transpires....here's hoping it will be worth the wait.
'Force Awakens' sure was.
:)

-

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just saw this on a friend's facebook feed and I had to share.

12650900_10153957478073417_4896083998704889696_n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom