The Spirited 11th Hour ...

DisDan

The 5G mobile data network is going to make traditional home broadband obsolete and break that model.

Not for those of us lucky enough to have Fiber To The House broadband. Also, I have yet to see any wireless home internet services that don't cost an arm and a leg for any "decent" data limit.

JoeCamel

The 5G mobile data network is going to make traditional home broadband obsolete and break that model.

Where I live I am lucky to get a 3G signal let alone a 4G. I might see a 5G in about 20 years.

I DO have both fiber and cable to the door. Wireless is only gonna happen where there are people then you have that pesky problem of people wanting to use it and clogging up all that super fast bandwidth periscoping their walk from the car to the office and when they eat something. Pipe dreams unless you get that signal onto a fiber.

Mike S

Really surprised when I saw this. You guys know how Disney has removed all those benches over the years like on Main Street right? Well, look what Universal has done out West for the guests standing in line for Harry Potter soft openings.
image.jpeg

They put out benches :jawdrop:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Physics say no regardless of the fever dreams of Verizon and ATT, Take a look at the work of Nyquist and Shannon and learn at a coding rate there is a finite number of bits that can be carried, Wireless is a single shared link, With Fiber Coaxial or even copper twisted pair available system bandwidth goes up with each link added.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That won't happen for awhile. So many issues with wireless networks, you may get speed, but not consistency and interference issues are only going to get worse.

Actually read as will not happen ever unless we get into the Terahertz ranges but high power RF in the Thz range has interesting effects on mammals.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You mean the market wasn't overreacting when it ran up Disney stock by 39.5% during the 12 months preceding its August 4 peak (the date of Iger's now infamous "modest sub loses" comment)? ;)

As I posted yesterday on this thread, it cuts both ways. The market overreacts on the way up and on the way down. :D

As for the "market is reacting like a bunch of Chicken Littles" (I prefer "whiny babies" :p) , I believe I've been writing that for years. :D

To be fair the Sky IS falling for the 'Street, The Fed is taking away the 'free money' that Wall St has been gambling with i.e. raising interest rates above ZERO.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Physics say no regardless of the fever dreams of Verizon and ATT, Take a look at the work of Nyquist and Shannon and learn at a coding rate there is a finite number of bits that can be carried, Wireless is a single shared link, With Fiber Coaxial or even copper twisted pair available system bandwidth goes up with each link added.
For once I agree with you...

Active-E and next-gen GPON will keep people on broadband for years to come.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Where I live I am lucky to get a 3G signal let alone a 4G. I might see a 5G in about 20 years.

I DO have both fiber and cable to the door. Wireless is only gonna happen where there are people then you have that pesky problem of people wanting to use it and clogging up all that super fast bandwidth periscoping their walk from the car to the office and when they eat something. Pipe dreams unless you get that signal onto a fiber.

Up here I still see 1XRTT signals (think 2G)

Nubs70

To be fair the Sky IS falling for the 'Street, The Fed is taking away the 'free money' that Wall St has been gambling with i.e. raising interest rates above ZERO.
It really is a bizarro world. When are low energy prices a bad thing?? Oh yea, when the energy sector is about the only growing sector we have. Is $DIS positioned to withstand a economic downturn?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
BTIG (which is a four letter word among the foamers who post in the Seeking Alpha comments sections in $DIS articles) did research that said only 44% are willing to pay $8 for ESPN & ESPN 2. And only 6% will pay $20 (which means most of the sports fans aren't willing to make up the difference). If true, that is big. The 38% who will pay $8 but not $20 are people who watch now but will STOP WATCHING IN THE FUTURE (which if happens will hit advertising big). It's not just less subs. It's less eyeballs as well. Your biggest piece of your biggest division is looking at a potential margin compression, and from it's most dependable revenue source, the subs (money that comes in just for merely existing, like a bond coupon). And this is from a company that still so many think that margins will continue to grow forever. Right now $DIS, even down as much as it is, equals froth. The BTIG research tells the absolute opposite story then the mantra that keeps being repeated over and over that 'People will pay any amount for live sports'.

If the contracts with current cable prevents true over the top ESPN mass delivery w/o blowing up the bundle for good, they are going to have to really thread the needle to find the *EXACT* time to the millisecond to switch over to minimize loss. All the while content costs will rise and your still competing with other outlets who have cheaper content costs. The college football on FoxSports1 or Big 10 network or over the air network TV may not be as good as the ESPN offerings, but many may settle if it's much cheaper. Outside of College Football, isn't the most desired content elsewhere? (In baseball isn't the most valuable content, by far, on the YES network for Yankee games?).

Star Wars will not erase this. Consumer Products will not erase this.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Disney is NOT investing in a meaningful way in businesses which have been highly profitable for the better part of a century, And it's done miserably in 'New Media' i.e. Internet and it still lacks a captive distribution channel for it's TV products.

Lord_Vader

Especially since most GPON systems are already capable of 10 and 40 Gbit service they just need the headend and ONT upgrades.

10GBps and 100GBps head ends are under test in many provider labs but the broadband network gateways are still lacking in capacity to truly handle that scale at a price point that revenue justifies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
10GBps and 100GBps head ends are under test in many provider labs but the broadband network gateways are still lacking in capacity to truly handle that scale at a price point that revenue justifies.

I know I've done testing on those systems myself as the US Govt is moving towards GPON as a building wiring standard.

There are cost issues on the ONT side, Another issue is that no one really makes a router that fast the forwarding plane at those rates is basically black magic. It's why Cisco bought Procket a while back.

Lord_Vader

I know I've done testing on those systems myself as the US Govt is moving towards GPON as a building wiring standard.

There are cost issues on the ONT side, Another issue is that no one really makes a router that fast the forwarding plane at those rates is basically black magic. It's why Cisco bought Procket a while back.
Alcatel (Nokia) has a few routers that can move MC-LAG at 100GB line rate and so does Juniper but most providers are also struggling with CGN which eats processor and drop rate radically since IPv6 isn't ready for prime-time on many networks.

Cesar R M

ASUS and others are already testing 10Gbps on cheap chips.
I remember reading a few weeks ago.
Most high end routers are already routing near 1Gbps for the consumer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom