Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

Disney Shib

I get this. I felt the same way after my first visit to the land. It just didn't feel like "Disney." Which is very weird considering it is the original. I guess I was just expecting more. The whole local aspect of it, made it feel anything but Disney. But that same local aspect of it is what I've grown to love. You see families at DL, but you also see couples, groups of teens, teens that would probably think it's not cool to go to Disney World with their family. At Disney World you see nothing but families which gets annoying sometimes with little kids that can't be still while in line. There's an intimacy that DL has that WDW just doesn't. I didn't appreciate it or get until my second trip. So don't give up on that DL magic just yet, the Disney magic is still there, just a little different.

Thanks! We did have a few really great experiences don't get me wrong. Maybe we'll have to give it another shot. My husband felt so bad that I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be that we booked a trip the World in May as soon as we got back. I did notice ALOT of couples which I did like. I didn't feel so weird waiting in line for Alice In Wonderland or Pooh lol.

Haymarket2008

Sharing the sentiments of others, I think that Disneyland is a better park than the Magic Kingdom. Yet as a resort, WDW takes that cake by a landslide. The history and charm of Disneyland is what makes it so special. Some of the individual parts/lands of the Magic Kingdom are superior to DL, but the overall experience is what makes Disneyland better. Although, the overall grandeur, immersion, and variety of Florida is incomparable.

Brad Bishop

We had some pretty awful encounters with CM's there which was devastating to me.

I, too, had some odd run-ins with cast members at DL. I had a tripod and camera and was trying to get pictures of the boardwalk area and came upon two cast members. The area was roped off because an hour or so from then it was going to fill up with people who had reservations. At this time no one was in the roped off area. I asked, "Would it be possible for me to go down there and just grab a few shots?"

The guy answered, in a kind of snarky way, "Those attractions aren't going anywhere." Which didn't really answer my question and came off kind of jerky. I knew that. I just wanted to grab some shots and be on my way. A moment later the girl with him said, "Yeah, you can go in, just don't go past that rope down there." - which was completely fair.

It was one of just a few kind of "jerky" encounters with cast members. (maybe 3 tops). More than I had ever gotten on any trip to WDW. It was like a kind of subtle surliness they had.

Disney Shib

I, too, had some odd run-ins with cast members at DL. I had a tripod and camera and was trying to get pictures of the boardwalk area and came upon two cast members. The area was roped off because an hour or so from then it was going to fill up with people who had reservations. At this time no one was in the roped off area. I asked, "Would it be possible for me to go down there and just grab a few shots?"

The guy answered, in a kind of snarky way, "Those attractions aren't going anywhere." Which didn't really answer my question and came off kind of jerky. I knew that. I just wanted to grab some shots and be on my way. A moment later the girl with him said, "Yeah, you can go in, just don't go past that rope down there." - which was completely fair.

It was one of just a few kind of "jerky" encounters with cast members. (maybe 3 tops). More than I had ever gotten on any trip to WDW. It was like a kind of subtle surliness they had.

That's exactly how I would categorize my encounters as well. My husband and I were looking for a place to grab a beer at California Adventure. We strolled over to the Cove Bar and noticed two empty seats at the bar. My husband asked the CM at the front of the restaurant "if anyone was sitting there and if not could we because we were just grabbing a beer" to which we got the following response. "Yeah, do what you want." Ummm? Ok. So we walked over and took the two seats. She walked up behind us, with a drink menu and said "I'm assuming you don't want a food menu since you're just ordering alcohol?" I was so offended. The bartender totally redeemed the situation and was super friendly and apologetic. It was just snarky and uncalled for.

Brad Bishop

Between the two castles, I generally like MK's more mainly because it's bigger and there's probably some idiot "Florida Pride" from when I was a kid of, "We got the bigger castle!" That being said, I think DL's castle looks 100x better at Christmas. Instead of the ton of icicle lights on it (MK) it has neat little snow drifts on the roof and a very classy looking Christmas garland setup.

I'm also not one who likes "put a light on every square inch of a building" (Osbourne lights come to mind - they're neat but I don't think they're "good"). I much prefer lights being part of the overall decoration, not THE decoration.

Timsierramist

South-California, born and raised, at Disneyland is where I spent most of my days...

I chose Magic Kingdom. And I see most people did not. Is it perhaps that the Magic Kingdom has more of an exotic feel to me because I'm based on the West Coast versus Disneyland which is yet another short day trip for a few hours (and vice versa for you east coasties), yet holds a high degree of loyalty among us here in the southwest? Not sure. But for me, Magic Kingdom just a better experience overall. Disneyland will always be Disney to me though. My first impressions of the Magic Kingdom when I finally got to go was that I was at Disneyland...except I somehow got transported to an alternate dimension.
1. Bigger. More to do and handles crowds way better that Disneyland. Ever been through Tomorrowland or New Orleans Square on a very busy day at Disneyland?
2. Better rides in general (Pirates being an exceptions). This can go either way depending on the attraction, but there are simply better rides overall at WDW. This includes the ambiance of waiting in line too.
3. Magic Bands and Fastpass+. Disneyland really needs to implement this. I know they are not in a hurry to do so because Disneyland is more of a local day trippers park versus the vacations destination of the world WDW is.
4. My favorite ride is still located at the Magic Kingdom. Carousel of Progress.
5. Better eating establishments.
6. I think the Magic Kingdom lands are better too. Tom Sawyer Island has more to do, Fantasyland is much bigger and has it's own set of sub lands, Tomorrowland is also bigger and better (the "people mover" is something I desperately miss from Disneyland), etc.
7. Getting to the park is part of the fun in and of itself. So many options at WDW. Your monorail is an actual transportation vehicle versus Disneyland's which leans more novelty and ride.

Just a few thoughts at the top of my head first thing in the morning.

I've always said Disneyland has the best fireworks. And we still got Fantasmic, which is also better than the Disney World experience.

Anyways, let the battle rage on...

dlrwdw98

I agree with the sea foam green parts.

Pan and Pirates are about equal.

I will take the DL's Storybook Canal Boats over WDW's NFL of 'get weird hostile looks from parents as their tarted up daughter meet Belle' and her nearby always-full restaurant.
Also, Autopia is slightly more fun and DL has a certain quaint charm.

How is Toontown Fair better than Mickey's Toontown?

How is MK's IASW superior to DL's?

How is MK better because it's bigger and the castle is taller?

Pirates and Pan are WAY better in DL, especially Pirates.

How is Liberty Square better than New Orleans Square?

Why do you prefer the medieval fair theming over the Bavarian village theming?

kad1121

Magic Kingdom ANY DAY! It's bigger and the castle is taller!

-Liberty Square is better than New Orleans Square.

-Where's New Fantasyland in DL? MK's Fantasyland is far better than DL's. Aside from New Fantasyland, I prefer the medieval fair theming over the Bavarian village theming.

-MK's Pirates is superior to DL's.

-MK's Autopia is superior to DL's.

-MK's Peter Pan is superior to DL's.

-MK's IASW is superior to DL's

As a bonus, Mickey's Toontown Fair was superior to DL Mickey's Toontown.

Also, DL sucks.

This comment just blows my mind.

New Orleans Square is charming and the ambiance can't be beat. It does feel like New Orleans, and you can't resist the Mickey beignets and Mint Juleps. Liberty Square is dull and lame.

-Fantasyland in DL is far superior. New Fanrasyland in MK is a lot of polish but no substance. Also, DL has the Matterhorn, my beloved Snow White's Scary Adventures (which MK closed for...A MEET-AND GREET. Nice.), Pinocchio, Canal Boats/Circus Train, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad (which was closed in MK for the Pooh ride...meanwhile DL has Toad AND Pooh).

-DL's Pirates is 100x better than MK's. The New Orleans theming and Blue Bayou are awesome, and I love the beginning in the bayou before you venture deeper into the ride. DL's also has two drops, whereas MK's has one. DL's POTC is 7 minutes longer than MK's, and the scenes are more elaborate.

-Autopia is 100x better than Tomorrowland Speedway. Autopia is a long ride where you ride through different scenes (car parks, the jungle, etc) and I love it! Tomorrowland Speedway is a junky ride that smells like exhaust, and you just ride in a figure eight with nothing to look at, no immersion.

-DL has the better Peter Pan. The starfields and new effects are fantastic. MK's Peter Pan was a major letdown.

-I hate IASW on both coasts, but DL has that excellent facade which makes DL's better.

-Mickey's Toontown is 100x better than MK's Toontown Fair was. DL's has better detail, he houses and buildings are more elaborate, the whole land is more elaborate, and Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite rides!

-Disneyland is my favorite theme park in the world.

jayhawkmickey

For me I think it comes down to history vs grandness. WDW was my first Disney and I have been there many times. I just did Disneyland for the first time this Christmas and it was really fun, but not really magical except for the kindness of three great cast members? Main Street is so historic and quaint (code for small with no confectionary). The castle is so little, but it's the one Walt walked through. Matterhorn was the first tube rail coaster in the world, amazing! But jerky and rough (their yeti works though). DL rides are longer and so cool, but with boring queues. Small world in WDW is so much better, but again DL's was first. The monorails in DL are so clean and stylish but, with yucky views of motels and dumpsters backstage. Mr. Lincoln was the grandfather of all WDW animatronics, but hall of presidents is my favorite of the two. WDW's river country is so much more wild and secluded and Tom Sawyers Island is way cooler, but you can't beat a ride on the Columbia or the canoes. The WDW cast members have always been so polite and helpful and we have raved about them in after vacation emails, but DL's cast members were top notch and gave us the most magical Disney day we have ever had! To me it's like comparing Venice with the Venetian. Venice is historic, beautiful, authentic, and was built by the masters and it takes just a little more time and work to really enjoy. The Venetian in Vegas is big, grand, user friendly and you can just let go and have fun without worrying about little things, but it's still the little brother that has to live up to its older, albeit, shorter brother.

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
I think overall, Magic Kingdom, but certain rides like POTC is more elaborate, and I think better at Disneyland. Haunted Mansion at WDW I think has the edge with more scenes (on the ride). Splash Mountains are different but I enjoy the bigger scale of WDW, but both a unique. I like the original Space Mountain, something about maybe getting hit by track is exhilarating lol. Also I had some bad experiences with CM's last month at Disneyland, not to say that most CM's in any park are great, but it could have been a bad day.

Marc Davis Fan

As much as I love WDW in general, I think DL beats MK hands down. I honestly don't even see how one can claim otherwise.

(1) DL has IJA, of the best attractions in any theme park
(2) DL has a vastly superior PoTC, to the point of it being arguably Disney's greatest ride (though I give WDW's ToT the edge for best Disney's best ride)
(3) DL has a vastly superior Space Mountain, such that it's one of the best roller coaster experiences in any park
(4) Matterhorn (wonderful at night, especially with the new yeti)
(5) Star Tours
(6) Fantasmic!
(7) Although MK's HM is superior, DL's still does the job (unlike MK's PoTC, IMO)
(8) Although I still prefer MK's BTMRR even after DL's refurbishment, DL's BTMRR still does the job
(9) The only e-ticket where I'd give a significant edge to MK is Splash, and DL's Splash is still solid
(10) A spinner prevents MK's Adventureland from being magical and immersive (fingers crossed that'll change one day...)

Thumper14

Our wedding anniversary is April 27. We love to visit the Disney Parks especially now that we are empty nesters. We love DL, but it opens late and closes early in April and no fireworks during weekdays. Also 3 days in the parks and your done. You have to book a California excursion to fill the week. We usually go to Catalina. This year the Star Wars Land construction has the river and railroads shutdown. No fun there. We like WDW because there is lots to do early and late. We can stay on property all week with lots to do. We have fond memories of both WDW and DL and continue to make them. Last year we were at our beloved Grand Californian and strolled to the parks each day. This year we are staying at the Polynesian Villas for our 35 anniversary and can hardly wait for this year's memories to be made.

JackTwo

While I can understand why some people believe WDW is better overall as a resort (compared to Disneyland Resort), the Disneyland park blows away the Magic Kingdom park by an absolute landslide. First, in terms on number of attractions, Disneyland has a lot more big ticket attractions than the Magic Kingdom. Some that come to mind include Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Fantasmic and the soon to be added attractions in Star Wars Land. In terms of common attractions, most of the Disneyland versions are better as well. This includes Space Mountain (which is not only much faster and smoother at Disneyland but it has a great audio system as well), Pirates of the Caribbean (which has a great setting in New Orleans Square and is a longer ride with more drops), Haunted Mansion (which, notwithstanding a different exterior, is a very similar ride to that at the Magic Kingdom, but has a holiday overlay from October-December) and It's a Small World (which has a really cool outside facade which becomes part of the ride at the beginning and end). In addition to all that, there are some more interesting "hidden" places at Disneyland including Walt Disney's apartment, Club 33 and even a basketball court inside the Matterhorn (for employees only...but still a really cool concept).

NeverEnufDisney

Love Disneyland and it's uniqueness and history. I love being able to get around the park easily and go back to my hotel without boarding a bus. I love WDW because it's more convenient and I can visit it more often and it's expansive footprint. I'm heading back to Disneyland in April and back to WDW in November. I love them both for different reasons and am hard pressed to pick a favorite, but by a hair it's probably Disneyland.

George Lucas on a Bench

They're both great in their own way, but I'd rather be at Disneyland snacking on a Matterhorn Macaroon, knocking out all the Fantasyland rides after the fireworks, walking onto Pirates during Fantasmic second showing and marathoning Haunted Mansion until closing, at which point I walk 10 minutes to the bar at Grand Californian and grab a drink!

Thumper14

Love Disneyland and it's uniqueness and history. I love being able to get around the park easily and go back to my hotel without boarding a bus. I love WDW because it's more convenient and I can visit it more often and it's expansive footprint. I'm heading back to Disneyland in April and back to WDW in November. I love them both for different reasons and am hard pressed to pick a favorite, but by a hair it's probably Disneyland.

We are visiting WDW in late April and DL in early December. I need my Carsland fix!

MarkTwain

In my view... The 10-12 hours of experiencing better rides, more entertainment, higher upkeep standards, and better food quality at Disneyland are far more impressive than the 60 seconds spent looking at Magic Kingdom's castle.

I'll give MK the castle and the wider sidewalks, but the crazier crowds and lower overall ride capacity seem to largely negate the latter.

In all honesty, I'm surprised this is even a debate. ;)

MarkTwain

That's exactly how I would categorize my encounters as well. My husband and I were looking for a place to grab a beer at California Adventure. We strolled over to the Cove Bar and noticed two empty seats at the bar. My husband asked the CM at the front of the restaurant "if anyone was sitting there and if not could we because we were just grabbing a beer" to which we got the following response. "Yeah, do what you want." Ummm? Ok. So we walked over and took the two seats. She walked up behind us, with a drink menu and said "I'm assuming you don't want a food menu since you're just ordering alcohol?" I was so offended. The bartender totally redeemed the situation and was super friendly and apologetic. It was just snarky and uncalled for.

I'll give you that about WDW and DL, I've run into a lot more general surliness and "I don't really want to be here" attitudes from CMs at Disneyland. I don't know if it's because they tend to only hire within the area at Disneyland vs all over the country/world at WDW, or maybe it's because Disneyland is inside a major city. I have definitely witnessed some curt responses from DL cast members myself though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom