Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Matt_Black

Okay, let's not play gatekeeper about video games just because I'm not familiar with one title/ character. I'm sure I could rattle off dozens of video game characters you've never heard of and then proclaim you not a true gamer, but that is a fruitless endeavor that will benefit no one.

Jrn14

I suppose so, but given that you've never heard of Rosalina, I'm not sure if you've ever played a Nintendo game in your life. If you actually owned a Wii U, I don't think you would make such misinformed comments about Nintendo. I am speaking from experience -- having played Nintendo games from childhood and also owning a Wii U and Wii Fit U Board. The Wii was amazing the Wii U is a disappointment and the titles are seriously lacking, -- there is really no way around it. That said, I still love Nintendo and I want to see what they have in store next.

Matt is correct. Mario is single handedly the most popular video game character of all time hands down no questions asked. If you surveyed 100 Americans (not gamers necessarily just average Americans) I feel like Mario would be #1 every time. Besides other Nintendo characters like Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link... I would guess Pac Man comes close. Regardless of how Nintendo is doing RIGHT NOW. The characters are established and very well known and profitable. If they built a great themed "Mario" land people would lap it up and probably buy tons of merchandise regardless of how the Wii U is selling. I have no idea who Rosalina is either...

bhg469

Matt is correct. Mario is single handedly the most popular video game character of all time hands down no questions asked. If you surveyed 100 Americans (not gamers necessarily just average Americans) I feel like Mario would be #1 every time. Besides other Nintendo characters like Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link... I would guess Pac Man comes close. Regardless of how Nintendo is doing RIGHT NOW. The characters are established and very well known and profitable. If they built a great themed "Mario" land people would lap it up and probably buy tons of merchandise regardless of how the Wii U is selling. I have no idea who Rosalina is either...
I would argue that Mario, and luigi to a slightly lesser effect, has more recognition than most modern Disney characters, Maybe Elsa has more but not by much.

Rosalina? Im 36, still dust off my NES occasionally and that name is not vaguely familiar to me. I would consider myself a heavy gamer for my age as well.

Mike S

I would argue that Mario, and luigi to a slightly lesser effect, has more recognition than most modern Disney characters, Maybe Elsa has more but not by much.

Rosalina? Im 36, still dust off my NES occasionally and that name is not vaguely familiar to me. I would consider myself a heavy gamer for my age as well.
She's from Super Mario Galaxy.

GLaDOS

The Wii was amazing the Wii U is a disappointment and the titles are seriously lacking, -- there is really no way around it. That said, I still love Nintendo and I want to see what they have in store next.

Wait wait wait. Let's not conflate sales with quality here. Nintendo's games for the Wii U are all-timers. Splatoon, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, etc are all better than anything released on the Wii save for the Mario Galaxy games. Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Wii U are also superior sequels.

The Wii U is a terrible mess, but Nintendo still knocks it out of the park when it comes to software.

lebeau

Uh-huh. Success is not always indicative of quality.

I made no such claim. In fact, I might even suggest that the opposite is true more often that not. Just making an observation that whatever sins Sandler may be guilty of (I for one have never been a fan) he has a devoted fan base that clearly enjoys his work enough to seek it out.

Siren

Okay, let's not play gatekeeper about video games just because I'm not familiar with one title/ character. I'm sure I could rattle off dozens of video game characters you've never heard of and then proclaim you not a true gamer, but that is a fruitless endeavor that will benefit no one.
This is not about "video games" -- this is about Nintendoland at Universal. It's obvious that you don't know much of anything about *Nintendo*. So, lets stop right here.

He hasn't said anything that I haven't said first. I just said Nintendo is timeless, but I have concerns about future Nintendo. I do agree with you that the future of Nintendo will not impact Nintendoland.

Wait wait wait. Let's not conflate sales with quality here. Nintendo's games for the Wii U are all-timers. Splatoon, Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, etc are all better than anything released on the Wii save for the Mario Galaxy games. Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Wii U are also superior sequels.

The Wii U is a terrible mess, but Nintendo still knocks it out of the park when it comes to software.
You've listed about six quality games over the course of almost four years since the release of the Nintendo Wii U. I would add Mario Maker, Lego City Undercover, Lego Marvel and Lego Jurassic Park, and maybe a few more but that's pretty much it over four years. I used the Wii U for Just Dance, Zumba Fitness and Wii Fit U, but it's been years since I've used any of those. I've been getting my *** kicked over at Orange Theory, lately. LOL.

I made no such claim. In fact, I might even suggest that the opposite is true more often that not. Just making an observation that whatever sins Sandler may be guilty of (I for one have never been a fan) he has a devoted fan base that clearly enjoys his work enough to seek it out.
Well said, this is an excellent observation.

The boys all watch this stuff on NetFlix etc. To them it's new. Not new to you but when it hits NetFlix it's new to them. Another problem is the teenagers don't remember pac-man and all that stuff, the adults do so it is funny but to the younger people they can't relate to it very well. Do realize none of them know a video game arcade was a big deal back in the 80's. They all have home systems and a huge choice of games.
I don't know, but you sound kind of like an older man who is trying to sound young and hip.

Under no circumstance, will you ever convince me that teen boys are heavily into Netflix just to watch Adam Sandler flicks from over 20 years ago -- because he is so "wildly popular" with this demographic. This sounds like something Dads do with their sons in order to bond or something.

Netflix streaming is so underwhelming to me, unless you like Orange is the New and House of Cards. Amazon Prime is way better with no monthly subscription and a substantial student discount, if you're still in school.

I think that teenage boys are into Minecraft (maybe tweens), Xbox Games, PS4, App Games like Clash of Clans and they watch PewDiePie and company on youtube *not* Adam Sandler.

Also, there were *no* video game arcades in the 90's either, I've never been to one except Chuckie Cheese.

And um, everyone knows who Pac-Man is. Pac-Man is very popular with several games on the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3DS, other gaming consoles and on the apps since forever. He's also a pretty cool fighter on Smash Bros. for the Wii U.
30w5q3s.jpg

nmxpmq.jpg

2hx3hqb.jpg

2j4sqrl.jpg

4udpw3.jpg

2w22d8l.jpg

15gfnmb.gif

If you want to get mean the WII and WII U aren't for real gamers, there for old people and small children. Nintendo doesn't have the wildly violent games the others do. The Play station is the current gamers system. It changes from console to console. Back in the day gamers only played on the computer with over clocked machines. I know a guy who still only plays on the computer and he is running dual $300 video cards on an Alienware system. Think his computer was something like $5000 or so dollars. Triple monitors etc. etc.
LOL. I don't find this to be mean at all. The Nintendo Wii was revolutionary in how it transformed gaming -- making it accessible to virtually anyone. The Wii is on every hospital ward, it's used for physical therapy, it's in schools, day cares, nursing homes, and hotels. I think Nintendo appeals to everyone, especially families -- and, that reaches all demographics both young and old. This is why it makes such a good fit for Universal.

Speaking of hotels, I just had the most amazing stay at the Four Seasons Orlando again. And, they had Smash Bros and Mario Kart tournaments for the families and tournaments for the other consoles to but they were for sports. I didn't go, of course, so I can't speak from experience.

And, I don't like violent shooter type games at all. I remember when I was with a friend of mine, and her husband was supposed to be at work, but she caught him outside of Gamestop laying on the ground in line, he was was supposedly there for hours waiting for one of those Rock Star and Black Ops games. She was so embarrassed, lol!

As an aside, I'm not a fan but I just saw news on the brand new Harry Potter Book that's coming out this year called Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. If the book does well, we can expect another Harry Potter movie. So, this is major news for Harry Potter fans and Universal, too!

JoeCamel

As an aside, I'm not a fan but I just saw news on the brand new Harry Potter Book that's coming out this year called Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. If the book does well, we can expect another Harry Potter movie. So, this is major news for Harry Potter fans and Universal, too!

I don't know squat about gaming but the Cursed Child will be the script from the play in paper form and ebook not a new work.

Mike S

Are people going to WANT stories about adult Harry?

Harry Potter and the Tax Filing of Fate
Harry Potter and the Visit to the In-Laws of Despair
Harry Potter and the Prostate Exam of Pythagoras
Lol, I get it. One story would be cool though. Curiosity of what it's like.

GLaDOS

T
You've listed about six quality games over the course of almost four years since the release of the Nintendo Wii U. I would add Mario Maker, Lego City Undercover, Lego Marvel and Lego Jurassic Park, and maybe a few more but that's pretty much it over four years. I used the Wii U for Just Dance, Zumba Fitness and Wii Fit U, but it's been years since I've used any of those. I've been getting my *** kicked over at Orange Theory, lately. LOL.

I listed Nintendo's games, because that was my point. Lego games aren't Nintendo games.

Mike S

There were PLENTY of arcades in the 90's, and they still exist to this day, just in smaller numbers. Heck, Universal still has one in each park. I'm afraid we might have to revoke that master's degree in gaming you pretend to have.
I wonder if the USF arcade would be moved to Nintendoland and that space repurposed for something else. Even the one in MSHI seems really out of place.

JT3000

I wonder if the USF arcade would be moved to Nintendoland and that space repurposed for something else. Even the one in MSHI seems really out of place.

If a future arcade exists in the Nintendo land, which I wouldn't doubt, it will probably be all Nintendo games by their request. I don't see them doing anything with the current one in the meantime.

Whether or not the Marvel arcade closes will probably depend on the accuracy of certain rumors going around. If Doom stays, so will the arcade.

JoeCamel

Cut through there Friday, they have several F&F racer games and Hello Kitty in the claw machines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom