100s of Fifteen @ Hollywood Studios - Feb 3, 2011

duff527

Yep. It's called a Quinceanera (keen-see-ah-nyer-ah). It's not just about turning 15, it's a coming of age celebration similar to the Hebrew Bar and Bat Mitzvah.

This. My cousin's husband is Puerto Rican and their oldest two girls have celebrated theirs in the last few years. They come from average means, but they threw really nice parties for their girls. A hall, DJ, fancy dress, and the birthday girl has a court similar to a bridal party. In fact the whole thing was basically a small scale wedding reception. So I can imagine that a family that is rolling in cash will do some pretty extravagant things.

Chill out friend, continue to drink your tea, nobody's suggesting to raise your taxes.

Is this a veiled reference to the Tea Party? I don't think that's appropriate on this forum. I was merely curious as to why the quoted user was disparaging someone for how they chose to use their money. Which, honestly, I shouldn't have done since it's not appropriate either, but I get frustrated by the reverse elitism that is so prevalent on these boards. I simply don't understand why you'd be bitter towards someone just because they have more money than you. Makes no sense.

Sorry to be off topic everyone. And by the way, I don't drink tea.

Tiggerfanatic

Yep. It's called a Quinceanera (keen-see-ah-nyer-ah). It's not just about turning 15, it's a coming of age celebration similar to the Hebrew Bar and Bat Mitzvah. Just as in the case of Latin weddings, the cost is usually split up amongst all the members of the extended family so that no parent is bearing the burden alone.

One of the Disney specials actually had a segment on this. I think it was the one about Ultimate Disney vacations or something like that. People drop some serious coin on these celebrations.

When I turned 15 I was allowed to invite 3 friends to go roller skating!!

ScorpionX

I saw them at All-Star Movies when I was there from February 15-February 20. Absolutely none of them spoke English!

Club Cooloholic

Is this a veiled reference to the Tea Party? I don't think that's appropriate on this forum. I was merely curious as to why the quoted user was disparaging someone for how they chose to use their money. Which, honestly, I shouldn't have done since it's not appropriate either, but I get frustrated by the reverse elitism that is so prevalent on these boards. I simply don't understand why you'd be bitter towards someone just because they have more money than you. Makes no sense.

Sorry to be off topic everyone. And by the way, I don't drink tea.

The poster is at least part of this forum, and they were disparaging somebody that is NOT part of the forum. I don't think it was bitter as much as wishful thinking. And I must not have been too veiled in my reference.:king:

JennyGilreath

Fifteens were a mess!!

First Fifteen encounter was 2/9 at Magic Kingdom. They decided to take glamor shots on the bridge leading to frontier land. That meant that my family and the hundreds of people trying to walk around the crowd that had gathered for the show at the castle had to wait. The girls were obnoxious. They tried to climb out of the boat on Pirates of the Carribean before we had completely moved up. I saw the young "flag holders/photographers", but they certainly weren't chaperoning the girls. We spent the remainer of our trip going in the opposite direction of them.
So glad we chose our resort and not Pop Century like we had planned. Not sure if I would've been able to handle that.

VIANA

Fifteens - argentina

Olá, procuro por Paula Caballero, garota que perdeu o cartão de memória da máquina fotográfica. Quem por gentileza puder localizar e pedir para me contatar eu agradeço, pois desejo encaminhar todas as fotos contida no cartão. No aguardo,

Disneydreamer23

I was at Hollywood Studios on Feb 3, 2011 and there were multiple groups young girls with "Fifteen" rain coats.
During the Fantasmic show, they went crazy as some kid showed up.
Rumor had it that it was "Peter from Argentina"

Does anyone know who Peter is? Was that Justin Beiber of Argentina?
just curious.

they were all cheering because peter is the guy who is gunna fix the yeti i would go crazy too!!!:ROFLOL:

ttalovebug

Don't underestimate the quinceañera- it is a huge deal in Latin American culture. It's much more than a party, it's considered a life-milestone.

sweetpee_1993

Olá, procuro por Paula Caballero, garota que perdeu o cartão de memória da máquina fotográfica. Quem por gentileza puder localizar e pedir para me contatar eu agradeço, pois desejo encaminhar todas as fotos contida no cartão. No aguardo,

Which, according to Google Translate means:

"Hello, look for Paula Caballero, a girl who lost the memory card from the camera. Who can not find please contact me and ask me to thank, because I want to send all the photos on the card. Looking forward,"

:shrug:

vicucha

Does anyone know who Peter is? Was that Justin Beiber of Argentina?
just curious.
I he the star striker for River Plate?

No, he isn't a football player. He's an rgentine actor and singer, known for popular Argentine television series for teens and children, kinda like disney celebrities actually. He has a wikipedia page in english if you want to check it out. He's actual name is Juan Pedro Lanzani, but he's also known as Peter Lanzani. So that's probably who the girls were referring to.

It is common in Latin America to celebrate a young ladies' fifteenth birthday as a major celebration, similar to an American "sweet sixteen", only bigger. These groups were probably hosted by the parents of the celebrant.

Yes and no. Yes the fifteenth birthday party is common but I wouldn't say it's bigger thatn a sweet sixteen. It depends. I'm not from the US so I wouldn't know what most sweet sixteens are like but
in the MTV show they look very expensive and the girls were usually given cars. That doesn't happen in Argentina.The fifteenth birthday party in Argentina usually involves a wedding like party, but size and cost may vary according to your social status. If your rich the party may be huge and extravagant, but if you're middle class or lower your party will be much simpler.
Now when it comes to Disney, I don't know exactly when it started, but going to Disney World also became a quite common way to celebrate your 15th birthday for Argentine girls, but this is quite expensive so few girls can do both, nowadays you either choose the party or the trip. And the party is getting more and more expensive, so as the party becomes harder to afford the Disney trip becomes the most sensible option.
These groups are not hosted by parents. Because this is so common in Argentina, travel agencies organize this trips, that's why the groups are so large. Parents only pay for the trip, but the people who travel with the girls and are in charge of them are the agency's employees.

Are you serious??? I swear, some people have entirely too much money. They should now send all extra funds to me. I promise to appreciate it a whole lot more than a spoiled teenager. :lol:

No, just because they paid it, it doesn't mean they have too much money. Some people make a huge sacrifice so they can gift their daughters a magical experience. Not everyone can afford it. Certainly lower class people can't and only few middle calss people can.
As I said, going to Disney is becoming the most popular option because organizing a true fifteenth birthday party in Argentina is even more expensive. And poeple don't send their daughters on their own becase they want to; since probably the reason why it's not commonly done as a family trip instead is because it's even more expensive.
And it's not something we can do whenever we want either so it's probably the only chance this girl with get. Maybe in the US you can enjoy Disney World as a family and whenever you want, but it's not possible for us unless you have a lot of money. You call them spoiled teenagers because they aren't your daughters. Cause if you have even a small chance to allow your beloved daughter to experience something as magical as Disney, even if you have to make sacrifices, you will do it.

As regards the age, you will probably enjoy Disney more when you're young, but you can't send little kids alone, and as I said; Disney is hardly affordable as a family trip for people in Argentina. So teengers (with the Travel agency employees in charge) is the better option.
You may still not get it because it is cultural too, but try to be more careful with what you say.
We found it rather creepy that the group appeared to be chaperoned by bunch of guys in there twenties. If you noticed there were not very many Adult females in the group. Maybe a few but it was mostly these 20-ish men:eek:.

We were speculating that a group of guys got together and decided to start this trip so they could travel with a bunch of young girls. We even saw one girl and one of the older guys holding hands.

Maybe we are wrong but the whole thing did not look right, at least by our american standards of conduct. No way I would send my 15 year ol off with a bunch of twenty something guys.

As I said the people in charge of the girls work for the travel agency who organizes everything. If they were all male it has to do with that paticular agency because that's not always it. My aunt travels with this groups of girls so no, it's not always males and it's nothing creepy. I already explained above why people can't do it as a family trip.
As regards hand holdings, it may be creepy for you but it's just innocent hand holding there would be nothing wrong for me. I mean we argentine greet people by kissing their cheek haha. So again, that can be cultural.
People it may sound weird to you but this has been going on for years in Argentina so it's nothing criminal.

the cost is usually split up amongst all the members of the extended family so that no parent is bearing the burden alone.

That's probably in some other Latin countries but not Argentina. Which takes me back to the Disney thing, because I don't really know how common it is in other Latin American countries appart from Brazil and Argentina?

I saw them at All-Star Movies when I was there from February 15-February 20. Absolutely none of them spoke English!
And what's wrong with that? They're not from an English speaking country. Only those who take English classes and are very fluent might speak to you. The ones who need to know English are the travel agency employees who travel with the girls and are in charge of everything.

Last edited:

Nosole

I just came back from Florida. I also saw a large group of girls wearing jacket that said fifteen. I saw them at Universal Studio and at Disney Spring when I was this weekend. I was wondering if it was a large group of rich famous people's daughter. I'm guessing it's a club/after school that does this maybe annually around this time? Or a travel agency the brings them here.

Cmdr_Crimson

We were at POP CENTURY las week and wer surrounded by young latin girls. Very loud and we could hear them in the pool even though we were on the back side of the resort. BANG BANG BANG the doors opened and closed late into the night.

Same here...I was in Building 1 in the 50's and when they started making noise I'd just open my door stare at them with an evil look. And when they caught my eye they'd shut up and run like cockroaches when the lights turn on...Funny thing was that the Chaperone or "Lonely Leader Guy that Chris Hanson would have a Field Day With" Was as obnoxious and when he caught me staring at him he stopped tried to be all "leader like" and tell them to quiet down and then apologized....

Also there was a big encounter when I entered the single riders line at RNRC. Apparently 5 groups all came at once in the queue. So the CM's decided to push them all onto the ride as they would just congest the queue..One group did start the infamous "Clap-N-Chant" And the CM yelled above them that if they were to continue doing that they would be immidatley removed from the ride for disturbance...Cheers to the CM for saying that..

And just for the sake of it...Here's my little contribute to those Pieces of Sugar Honey Ice Tea...

For some reason they were in a line and then the "Chaperone" wanted them to start yelling at this smartphone at the entrance at AK....
DSC04784_zpsyq6lax7p.jpg

The one who didn't want to ride and be Stuck with the bags....UNFORGETTABLE HAPPENS HERE!!
DSC04873_zpsj6g9sjct.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom