Help Planning First Trip with 18 month old

DisneyDaver

Original Poster
My first child (daughter) is 8.5 months old and after much discussion, I have finally convinced my wife that we should take her to WDW this November :)

My daughter will be almost 18 months old when we are in WDW. I have planned many WDW trips for adults and older children (nieces and nephews), but have never been there with a baby/toddler.

Our general plan is to go for 4 nights. We plan to only visit the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and we will spend a lot of time at the resort pool. My daughter will likely be down to one nap by then so our days will be divided into a morning activity, then a nap back at the resort, and then an afternoon activity.

Any suggestions of things to do? Things to keep in mind?

CaptainAmerica

I'd personally advise a longer trip. We've taken our daughter at 6 months and 13 months and the biggest headache was the airport and the flight itself. A longer trip makes the cost and hassle of flying feel more "worth it."

As for the time at WDW itself, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that you can't and won't do everything. Before you go, make a list of your absolute must-dos, including any of the adults only rides that you'll be using child swap for.

Because you're going in November when the parks won't be open as late as in the summer, it might be worth considering a single longer activity for the morning and early afternoon, then back to the resort in the evenings for early bedtime. Going back and forth for a nap can make you feel like you're spending your entire trip on a bus, especially during times with limited park hours.

buseegal

one thing to think about is what happens if your daughter falls asleep on bus back to resort will you be able to get off and get to you room without waking her up. or will you be able get her back to sleep. do some car or stroller rides at naptime and see if you can get her to bed and still napping. nothing is worse than a toddler who has gotten a very short nap, not enough, and will not go back to sleep. esp if you have one that falls asleep while moving but will not go back to sleep

glvsav37

Where are you planning on staying?

this is my #1 question when people say they are traveling with young kids. Given you will be taking trips back and forth to the resort for breaks and naps, travel time AND travel mode are important considerations.

If your wife is like mine with babies, I could have rented a U-Haul to pull around the park—extra diapers, food, changes of clothing, etc. Strollers are great pack mules when in the park, but be advised that you have to fold them up whenever you get on a WDW bus—which means that anything that went in there, must come out. And guess who gets to hold it all? you! :)

However, if you are staying anywhere with either monorail or friendship boat transportation, you do not need to fold those rolling cargo carriers up. Huge time, hassle, frustration and back saver.

That aside, be sure to plan lots of character interactions like character meals—you have to eat and kids are generally happier when they a munching on something. Plan FPs for other Character interactions b/c any attraction that would be suitable for an 18mo old generally doesn't have huge lines (Except Peter Pan lol). Then take advantage of rider swap and single rider lines for the adults to have some fun too!!!

You can even game the system a bit and double up on your FP's by making individual FP's for different attractions and using rider swap—Say you make a FP for Space Mnt, and your wife makes one for BTM, you use your FP while the wife watches the kid, then do a rider swap where she gets to go on SM though the FP line. Then when you go to use her BTM, she goes first while you watch the kid and then you claim the rider swap.

Know the location of the baby stations. They have anything you need for purchase in case you forgot anything (baby wipes, ointments, etc) and its a good place to get away from the crowds for feedings, a little rest, etc.

Resorts rent cribs so you don't need to lug your pack and play if you don't want. Flying? If you have a seat for the child, we always choose to bring the car seat with us. Yes, its a pain to lug, but it does not count as a "bag" and the baby feels more 'at home' in the car seat then on the regular, stiff airline seat. Also, try and plan your flight during nap or sleep times as often they will naturally fall asleep b/c their bodies are conditioned to it.

Likewise, don't try and squeeze those last few hours in the park on you last day and get the latest flight out, everyone just ends up hot, cranky and the ride home sucks. We normally just plan on checking out, grabbing breakfast and saying "see ya next time"

otherwise, just go with the baby's flow and enjoy the memories....Take lots of pictures!!!!

jaklgreen

Just go at her pace. Do not wake her up in the morning etc. My kids just napped in the stroller, we found a shady spot to stop. Make sure you give her plenty of water since they get dehydrated too even if its not that hot. Just go with the flow and enjoy her excitement.

cococola44

I fully suggest a longer trip to fully experience some things you wish to. The parent/switch off is a great idea and should be used. Bring your own stroller with shading. Both of our boys rested often in the double stroller. Fast passes were essential :) That sounds like an amazing time! I can't wait to see your pictures when you return!

LSUxStitch

You can even game the system a bit and double up on your FP's by making individual FP's for different attractions and using rider swap—Say you make a FP for Space Mnt, and your wife makes one for BTM, you use your FP while the wife watches the kid, then do a rider swap where she gets to go on SM though the FP line. Then when you go to use her BTM, she goes first while you watch the kid and then you claim the rider swap.

Can you really do this? I'm close to my FP booking days and this would be awesome

DisneyFans4Life

For me, I would not plan on going back to the resort mid-day unless you absolutely have to. We've been taking our daughter since she was 3 months old and we've done day trips as well as multi-day trips, and she's always napped right in her stroller. When nap time comes around, we lean the seat back and walk around; she usually falls asleep pretty quickly. We then use this time to wonder through stores or sit down somewhere quiet.

If you're there for only 4 days and do a bunch of back and forth between the parks and resort, your vacation is going to feel extremely hectic and rushed.

18 months is a great age because kids actually enjoy seeing the characters and show excitement.

Good luck!

rob0519

This is just my opinion, but I don't see the point of taking an 18 month old to WDW. They will never remember it except by the pictures and stories the parents provide.

If you want to go to WDW for yourself and take the child along that's great, but since you said you had to convince your wife to take this trip, it seems she had reservations.

We waited until our kids were almost 3 and 5 for their first visit. The 5 year old still remembers it 35 years later, the younger one doesn't remember the experience at all.

jaklgreen

This is just my opinion, but I don't see the point of taking an 18 month old to WDW. They will never remember it except by the pictures and stories the parents provide.

If you want to go to WDW for yourself and take the child along that's great, but since you said you had to convince your wife to take this trip, it seems she had reservations.

We waited until our kids were almost 3 and 5 for their first visit. The 5 year old still remembers it 35 years later, the younger one doesn't remember the experience at all.

My youngest was 18 months when we took her and even though she does not remember it, WE remember the look on her face and the laughter and the joy she experienced being there. How many times have you done something or gone somewhere and cant quite remember all of the details. Does that mean you should not have gone? I liked taking my kids when they were little. They still believed in everything and it truly was a fantasy for them. As they get older and know its not real then it looses the magic a bit.

rob0519

My youngest was 18 months when we took her and even though she does not remember it, WE remember the look on her face and the laughter and the joy she experienced being there. How many times have you done something or gone somewhere and cant quite remember all of the details. Does that mean you should not have gone? I liked taking my kids when they were little. They still believed in everything and it truly was a fantasy for them. As they get older and know its not real then it looses the magic a bit.

Your first sentence made my point. "WE remember the look on her face". If people want to take infants and barely toddlers to WDW to see the looks on their faces that's great. Just don't say it's for the kids when in fact it's so the adults can enjoy the child's reaction and there is nothing wrong with that. I did not say anything about not taking the child. It is my opinion to wait a little longer. I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and will have the memories for your daughter's lifetime.

jaklgreen

Your first sentence made my point. "WE remember the look on her face". If people want to take infants and barely toddlers to WDW to see the looks on their faces that's great. Just don't say it's for the kids when in fact it's so the adults can enjoy the child's reaction and there is nothing wrong with that. I did not say anything about not taking the child. It is my opinion to wait a little longer. I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and will have the memories for your daughter's lifetime.

Haha, I never said anything about going to WDW for the kids. I will be the first to admit that I go for myself. My kids like to go too but they are not Disney fanatics like I am. In fact I go every October solo and leave them home with Daddy. I think they were much easier to take at that age then older. When they were little they sat in the stroller and ate what we fed them and slept really well. As they got older and had their own ideas and opinions it got a lot harder trying to please everyone's idea of a perfect vacation. Definitely have more time consuming discussions on what to do and where to eat as they got older. If you think you are only going to go to WDW once in your kids life then for sure wait until they are much older so they can remember, but if you are like us and go regularly or even every 2-3 years then taking them at that age is magical.

riess424

We including my 18 month son had a wonderful time there. He may not remember but if we used that logic then we would never throw our children birthday parties, take them to the park, or play with them for that matter.

I can still remember my sons reaction sitting in Mickey's philharmagic, riding dumbo and the carousel over and over again on top of how much he enjoyed the resort and the parade. Those are some of my most cherished memories. Yes they are my memories but I also remember how much my son grew developmentally with this trip. We will probably return when my daughter is that same age. If we didn't go regularly every 1-2 years then I would agree with you and may wait a few years.

DisneyDaver

Original Poster
Where are you planning on staying?

this is my #1 question when people say they are traveling with young kids. Given you will be taking trips back and forth to the resort for breaks and naps, travel time AND travel mode are important considerations.

If your wife is like mine with babies, I could have rented a U-Haul to pull around the park—extra diapers, food, changes of clothing, etc. Strollers are great pack mules when in the park, but be advised that you have to fold them up whenever you get on a WDW bus—which means that anything that went in there, must come out. And guess who gets to hold it all? you! :)

However, if you are staying anywhere with either monorail or friendship boat transportation, you do not need to fold those rolling cargo carriers up. Huge time, hassle, frustration and back saver.

That aside, be sure to plan lots of character interactions like character meals—you have to eat and kids are generally happier when they a munching on something. Plan FPs for other Character interactions b/c any attraction that would be suitable for an 18mo old generally doesn't have huge lines (Except Peter Pan lol). Then take advantage of rider swap and single rider lines for the adults to have some fun too!!!

Know the location of the baby stations. They have anything you need for purchase in case you forgot anything (baby wipes, ointments, etc) and its a good place to get away from the crowds for feedings, a little rest, etc.

Resorts rent cribs so you don't need to lug your pack and play if you don't want. Flying? If you have a seat for the child, we always choose to bring the car seat with us. Yes, its a pain to lug, but it does not count as a "bag" and the baby feels more 'at home' in the car seat then on the regular, stiff airline seat. Also, try and plan your flight during nap or sleep times as often they will naturally fall asleep b/c their bodies are conditioned to it.

Likewise, don't try and squeeze those last few hours in the park on you last day and get the latest flight out, everyone just ends up hot, cranky and the ride home sucks. We normally just plan on checking out, grabbing breakfast and saying "see ya next time"

otherwise, just go with the baby's flow and enjoy the memories....Take lots of pictures!!!!

These are great tips! Thanks! And yes ... my wife does pack like yours!

DisneyDaver

Original Poster
I fully suggest a longer trip to fully experience some things you wish to. The parent/switch off is a great idea and should be used. Bring your own stroller with shading. Both of our boys rested often in the double stroller. Fast passes were essential :) That sounds like an amazing time! I can't wait to see your pictures when you return!

I agree with you ... I would love to make it a longer trip, but my wife would prefer to wait until our daughter is 4 y/o for a WDW trip so 4 nights for now is the compromise. WDW will be an annual vacation for us once she is 4 so I'm ok with the first couple trips being a bit on the short side.

DisneyDaver

Original Poster
For me, I would not plan on going back to the resort mid-day unless you absolutely have to. We've been taking our daughter since she was 3 months old and we've done day trips as well as multi-day trips, and she's always napped right in her stroller. When nap time comes around, we lean the seat back and walk around; she usually falls asleep pretty quickly. We then use this time to wonder through stores or sit down somewhere quiet.

If you're there for only 4 days and do a bunch of back and forth between the parks and resort, your vacation is going to feel extremely hectic and rushed.

18 months is a great age because kids actually enjoy seeing the characters and show excitement.

Good luck!

She hasn't fallen asleep in her stroller since she was a few months old so I'm skeptical of whether we could make the nap at the park work, but it's a good suggestion and I think we will given it a try. For better or worse, she is like me and not much of a sleeper. The good news is that even when she misses a nap, she is still happy and not cranky like many kids.

DisneyDaver

Original Poster
We including my 18 month son had a wonderful time there. He may not remember but if we used that logic then we would never throw our children birthday parties, take them to the park, or play with them for that matter.

I can still remember my sons reaction sitting in Mickey's philharmagic, riding dumbo and the carousel over and over again on top of how much he enjoyed the resort and the parade. Those are some of my most cherished memories. Yes they are my memories but I also remember how much my son grew developmentally with this trip. We will probably return when my daughter is that same age. If we didn't go regularly every 1-2 years then I would agree with you and may wait a few years.

I think of this exactly the way that you do. My wife thinks along the same lines as the poster you quoted. I think both are reasonable positions to take. That is why we have compromised on only 4 nights this time (with longer trips with our daughter is older).

Cmoore12282

Last fall my wife and i made our first trip with our then 18 month old daughter after 6 trips of just the 2 of us. It was a lot of fun for everyone but there were some rough times. Our biggest piece of advice would be to NOT do table service dining. It was a concern going in and proved to be horrible at multiple reservations. It was too difficult being tied down to a specific time and add in the over all time a reservation takes up with waiting around to check in, waiting to be called, slow service and waiting on the check that means a meal ends up taking a couple of hours. Lesson learned, this year we are doing only quick service so we can eat whenever and wherever we are so we can nap and rest as needed.

Rsj88

My oldest son had just turned 2 when we took him on his first trip. We learned a lot that trip about how to do Disney as a family and not as a couple. First, as someone else said, we stopped doing table service meals. It was to hard to schedule around a toddler and it wasted too much time. Second, we learned that we had more fun when we were focused on our son. We had to slow things down and suddenly it didn't matter if we got to ride out favorite rides because we were riding the carousel (our son's favorite ride) for the tenth time in a row. It was no longer about us, it was about him. Third, get a comfy stroller. Our son has NEVER been a good sleeper but he always sleeps well at Disney! He would eventually fall asleep in his stroller for a nap and then we would take turns riding our favorite rides. He would also fall asleep at night after the fireworks and we would shop. He would sleep right through the bus ride and putting him to bed! We would even go to downtown Disney to shop at night while he slept the stroller. Another thing to remember is to take lots of snack breaks! Every two hours we stop for a snack to avoid a breakdown. I always had something on hand to munch on in the lines. We also had never really stopped to watch parades before kids but now we get a snack and watch them all! My oldest is now seven and we are planning with his little brother's first trip who will be 18 months when we go. It is really a special time to go when they are little! You will have a wonderful and very magical time seeing the park through your daughter's eyes.

Figaro928

One BIG thing to keep in mind is potty training. At 18 months you could be in the thick of it. We took our daughter around that age and she was basically potty trained. With the exception of the potties in your resort room, all are automatic flush and LOUD. It was a nightmare. She became fearful of bathrooms, refusing to go. By Day two she was in pull ups - hating them. All in all it was a GREAT trip and she still remembers parts of it, but potty training took about 10 steps in the wrong direction.

If we could do it all over again, we would have never started her on the potty prior to the trip. Then on the trip, bought her a special potty gift to get her super excited about training once we got home.

Also, we managed sit down meals well - they are doable. But I would not recommend buffets. One parent always had to be sitting because it was just too hard to corral a toddler at the stations. I would recommend the all you care to eat breakfast at Ohana's at the Poly. They bring as much food as you'd like while Mickey, PLuto, Stitch and Lilo come visit your table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom