Resort Help - Where to stay

packfan79

Original Poster
For our trip next year (our first onsite), we are debating which resort to stay in. We want to stay at a Deluxe, we have that much decided (well my husband says Deluxe), but we can't really decide which one. Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge? There are characteristics about each that we love, so it's a tough call. My husband, while not a huge fan of the Poly theme, loves the monorail access to MK and EP, and also to the GF, and CR for other restaurant choices. Animal Kingdom is just gorgeous. And WL, he likes the rustic look. Where would you stay, and why?

While my husband is determined to go Deluxe, I have not ruled out a Moderate. I have looked at both POR and CSR. What are thoughts on those?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Where would you stay, and why?
Deluxe - we've stayed at AKL twice and GF the once. As you've clearly pointed out, there are advantages to any hotel. We did a split stay between AKL and GF for Christmas / New Year 2008/09. We absolutely adored AKL and the theming is spot on - we spent 2 weeks here last year. GF we found "cold" and nothing out of the ordinary (other than price). AKL is very remote for everything other than AK - if you don't mind the bus rides then I'd recommend it.
I have looked at both POR and CSR
We've stayed in POFQ twice - its half the size of POR which makes it more intimate / less crowded and easier to access everything. It still has the boats to Disney Springs and buses drop off / pick up at the front entrance without driving around the resort

Schneewittchen

I'm just talking about something I have no knowledge of.... we always camp at Ft. Wilderness but we're talking about splurging on Contemporary next year.

But in your situation, I'd pick Poly for the easy access to MK and Epcot. It is a wonderful thing when you can avoid a bus. You have Dole Whips on site. Easy access to several nice restaurants either there or the other close-by resorts. Electrical Water Pageant every night.

Herdman

We have not stayed at any of the deluxe resorts, but we have stayed at all the moderates except Coronado Springs. Our last stay was at Riverside, and we are planning on staying at the French Quarter later this year. We love the smaller feel and easy access to the bus stop from anywhere on the grounds. It's also nice to have a relatively short walk back to your room after a long day at the parks.

JasonDeyoung

Akl is possibly my favorite resort on property. The theming and just everything about it is amazing. Yes ppl complain that "it's so far out if the way" in reality it's like a 5 min extra bus ride, it's not bad at all IMHO. The restaurants are awesome and the pool is really nice. So much to do here

Poly is amazing, that's been a fav since I stayed there my first ever trip to Disney. Love the closeness to mk and easy access to Epcot monorail. It's a great resort for resort hoping to if u want to hop over to cotemp or gf plus you have the boat option as well to mk. Also trader sams is here and I LOVE that bar plus hello, dole whips! You can watch wishes from here to so that's a plus.

WL is pretty cool, it is under construction with the new water villas being added so beware of that. Nice boat ride to mk or ft wilderness. Restaurants are pretty good as well. Never stayed at this one but walking around and visiting it's a great resort. The construction just makes me nervous.

If you go moderate I'd def go with Port Orleans Riverside. It's a beautiful resort and great location. Very close to mk & Epcot and the boat to Disney springs is awesome. It is a bit spread out but I just stayed 9 days and never once even noticed. Has 4 bus stops and at times will share w French quarter which doesn't bother me but some apparently it's a huge deal. Food court is great and the grounds are awesome. Pool is kinda secluded and nice.

You really won't go wrong with whatever one you pick! Resorts are the hardest part lol

Wehttam

Just to let you know Wilderness lodge has construction going on so a large chunk of land near the villas is fenced off. Sadly the beach is in that area so keep that in mind. Also with Animal Kingdom it is a long bus ride to parks other than Animal Kingdom park. The Poly has some small construction going on but they should be finished when you go on your trip. Lastly if you stay at Animal Kingdom I suggest you stay in the savanna view room.

packfan79

Original Poster
Akl is possibly my favorite resort on property. The theming and just everything about it is amazing. Yes ppl complain that "it's so far out if the way" in reality it's like a 5 min extra bus ride, it's not bad at all IMHO. The restaurants are awesome and the pool is really nice. So much to do here

Poly is amazing, that's been a fav since I stayed there my first ever trip to Disney. Love the closeness to mk and easy access to Epcot monorail. It's a great resort for resort hoping to if u want to hop over to cotemp or gf plus you have the boat option as well to mk. Also trader sams is here and I LOVE that bar plus hello, dole whips! You can watch wishes from here to so that's a plus.

WL is pretty cool, it is under construction with the new water villas being added so beware of that. Nice boat ride to mk or ft wilderness. Restaurants are pretty good as well. Never stayed at this one but walking around and visiting it's a great resort. The construction just makes me nervous.

If you go moderate I'd def go with Port Orleans Riverside. It's a beautiful resort and great location. Very close to mk & Epcot and the boat to Disney springs is awesome. It is a bit spread out but I just stayed 9 days and never once even noticed. Has 4 bus stops and at times will share w French quarter which doesn't bother me but some apparently it's a huge deal. Food court is great and the grounds are awesome. Pool is kinda secluded and nice.

You really won't go wrong with whatever one you pick! Resorts are the hardest part lol

Tell me about it!! When we go to the beach I have a hard time picking a condo, but nothing compared to this! There are just so many choices and so many reason to want to stay at them all!! They just all look so nice. Right now, I am leaning towards Deluxe because they are just so advantageous with certain things, but I just can't rule out the moderates for the pricing difference. I have a few months before I need to book, so I have time to research and study more - which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

JasonDeyoung

Tell me about it!! When we go to the beach I have a hard time picking a condo, but nothing compared to this! There are just so many choices and so many reason to want to stay at them all!! They just all look so nice. Right now, I am leaning towards Deluxe because they are just so advantageous with certain things, but I just can't rule out the moderates for the pricing difference. I have a few months before I need to book, so I have time to research and study more - which could be a good thing or a bad thing.
Can't go wrong either way! I just see the words refurb or construction and that makes me nervous. But any deluxe at Disney are amazing for their own reasons. Another reason I love akl is cause it's out a ways, gives you a break from the hustle and craziness lol.

CaptainAmerica

But in your situation, I'd pick Poly for the easy access to MK and Epcot.
That's probably the biggest myth when it comes to WDW transportation. Monorail resorts to Epcot are absolutely not "easy access." A bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Epcot takes 15 minutes. A monorail from the Polynesian to Epcot takes about 45 minutes.

To answer the OP's question, I'd go with AKL or WL. They're way cheaper than the Poly and at least as good IMO.

Schneewittchen

That's probably the biggest myth when it comes to WDW transportation. Monorail resorts to Epcot are absolutely not "easy access." A bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Epcot takes 15 minutes. A monorail from the Polynesian to Epcot takes about 45 minutes.

To answer the OP's question, I'd go with AKL or WL. They're way cheaper than the Poly and at least as good IMO.

See I disagree. Relying only on bus transportation can be a royal pain in the you know what. I've seen buses full to the brim with people, not enough space for all of the people waiting, you end up waiting 30 - 45 minutes for a quick bus ride. Delays loading and unloading n armada of scooters. The bus is bursting with cranky babies and sweaty teenagers and traffic is heavy, and the bus driver isn't smooth.... Argh.

CaptainAmerica

See I disagree. Relying only on bus transportation can be a royal pain in the you know what. I've seen buses full to the brim with people, not enough space for all of the people waiting, you end up waiting 30 - 45 minutes for a quick bus ride. Delays loading and unloading n armada of scooters. The bus is bursting with cranky babies and sweaty teenagers and traffic is heavy, and the bus driver isn't smooth.... Argh.
Are you saying that monorails aren't full to the brim with people, not enough space for all the people waiting, waiting 30-45 minutes for a quick ride, delayed loading and unloading, and bursting with babies and sweaty teenagers?

The biggest drawback with the monorail to Epcot IMO is that you have to unload at the TTC and then re-board a different train. You can avoid that if you're willing to walk to the TTC from the Poly, but that can be a pain depending on where your room is located.

HouCuseChickie

We've stayed at all 3 resorts.

WL was our least favorite, although that was heavily influenced by the horrible bus service we had during our stay. I know it's not always this way, but if they suspend boat service due to weather issues (cold weather or t-storms), it seems to be fairly common for them to forget to send more buses. We also had a lot of issues with early morning buses trying to make pre-park opening meals. We waited nearly 50 min one morning for a bus and had 25-35 min waits the rest of our mornings. While the common areas in the resort are nice, it was our least fave for room decor and we had a few standout less than magical CMs. The TS options onsite are also our least favorite of your 3 noted resorts. And this is personal preference, but I didn't love the room decor.

AKL was really nice. We had a bunk bed room, so it felt a bit more spacious. The rooms at WL and AKL are small as far deluxe resorts go. Technically, they are bigger than the mods, but many feel the mods are configured in a way that give you just as much usable space as WL and AKL. In any event, we liked that during online check in, we were giving savanna choices in our room request options even though we weren't booked in a savanna view room. Beyond that, the CMs at AKL were all great, we like the dining options at AKL, we had great bus service at AKL (with one little annoyance), and the resort is so well themed that you really feel like you've been transported to a far off destination. Maybe it's the lack of real animals at WL, but AKL does a much better job of providing a convincing theme. The little bus issue...while buses start running at 6:30am, AKL is a 6:45am resort...so we had no choice but to take a cab for a 7am ADR.

I'm mixed on the Poly, mainly because I would rather stay at the Contemporary. The room size is great and I definitely prefer the large rooms like this if we're traveling as a family. I don't love but also don't hate the room decor and you can pick building preferences at 60 day check in to help ensure you're where you want to be. The Poly is also a great choice if you're going to MK a lot and we never found it a long trip to Epcot. The walk to the TTC only takes a few minutes and maybe it was time of day, but we never found overly large crowds or long waits when getting a monorail. It was never more than 25 min door to door. On the way home, we preferred exiting Epcot through the IG and taking a BC bus to MK before the boat or resort loop to the Poly. Considering Disney says that buses run at least every 20 minutes (+ drive time)...what we experienced from the Poly was on par with travel time from AKL and far less than anything from WL since we also shared with Ft Wilderness during our stay at WL. Plus the monorail is still more fun than the bus...at least for us. Where the Poly really shines is access to MK area dining. Obviously, you have Kona and 'Ohana, but an early morning breakfast at GFC or popping back to freshen up for a dinner at Narcoosee's or Cali Grill were so much easier when staying at the Poly. Captain Cooks is also a decent qs, we like Tambu for drinks, there's now Trader Sam's and Pineapple Lanai is perfect for no lines for Dole Whips. The CMs were great during our stay as well.

Ultimately, if it were me and budget isn't issue...I think the Poly will offer the best all around experience. AKL would be my second choice.

packfan79

Original Poster
We've stayed at all 3 resorts.

WL was our least favorite, although that was heavily influenced by the horrible bus service we had during our stay. I know it's not always this way, but if they suspend boat service due to weather issues (cold weather or t-storms), it seems to be fairly common for them to forget to send more buses. We also had a lot of issues with early morning buses trying to make pre-park opening meals. We waited nearly 50 min one morning for a bus and had 25-35 min waits the rest of our mornings. While the common areas in the resort are nice, it was our least fave for room decor and we had a few standout less than magical CMs. The TS options onsite are also our least favorite of your 3 noted resorts. And this is personal preference, but I didn't love the room decor.

AKL was really nice. We had a bunk bed room, so it felt a bit more spacious. The rooms at WL and AKL are small as far deluxe resorts go. Technically, they are bigger than the mods, but many feel the mods are configured in a way that give you just as much usable space as WL and AKL. In any event, we liked that during online check in, we were giving savanna choices in our room request options even though we weren't booked in a savanna view room. Beyond that, the CMs at AKL were all great, we like the dining options at AKL, we had great bus service at AKL (with one little annoyance), and the resort is so well themed that you really feel like you've been transported to a far off destination. Maybe it's the lack of real animals at WL, but AKL does a much better job of providing a convincing theme. The little bus issue...while buses start running at 6:30am, AKL is a 6:45am resort...so we had no choice but to take a cab for a 7am ADR.

I'm mixed on the Poly, mainly because I would rather stay at the Contemporary. The room size is great and I definitely prefer the large rooms like this if we're traveling as a family. I don't love but also don't hate the room decor and you can pick building preferences at 60 day check in to help ensure you're where you want to be. The Poly is also a great choice if you're going to MK a lot and we never found it a long trip to Epcot. The walk to the TTC only takes a few minutes and maybe it was time of day, but we never found overly large crowds or long waits when getting a monorail. It was never more than 25 min door to door. On the way home, we preferred exiting Epcot through the IG and taking a BC bus to MK before the boat or resort loop to the Poly. Considering Disney says that buses run at least every 20 minutes (+ drive time)...what we experienced from the Poly was on par with travel time from AKL and far less than anything from WL since we also shared with Ft Wilderness during our stay at WL. Plus the monorail is still more fun than the bus...at least for us. Where the Poly really shines is access to MK area dining. Obviously, you have Kona and 'Ohana, but an early morning breakfast at GFC or popping back to freshen up for a dinner at Narcoosee's or Cali Grill were so much easier when staying at the Poly. Captain Cooks is also a decent qs, we like Tambu for drinks, there's now Trader Sam's and Pineapple Lanai is perfect for no lines for Dole Whips. The CMs were great during our stay as well.

Ultimately, if it were me and budget isn't issue...I think the Poly will offer the best all around experience. AKL would be my second choice.

WOW!! Thank you so much for your in-depth look at each of these resorts. You have really given me some points to ponder on. I appreciate you taking the time for this! I have really been leaning heavily toward Poly, for the main fact of easy access to so many dining choices around it, and I think this just sealed it for me. If budget allows (come on discounts!), this will more than likely be our pick. Again, thank you for the input.

Last edited:

DisneyFans4Life

I haven't stayed at any of the Deluxe resorts, but have been to them all and toured the rooms. If it were me, I'd go with Poly first. The theming is excellent and the convenience to the other resorts, MK and Epcot gives it an edge over the other resorts. Don't get me wrong, I'd stay at the others as well, but I'd do Poly first.

s&k'smom

For shear convenience Poly is excellent, being able to walk over to the epcot monorail and the boat to MK is great. AKL I agree it's far but it has its own dedicated busses so not sharing with other resorts is great. WL theming amazing. You know this is the kind of debate I like to see in an election year.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We opted to stay at the contemporary, and its definitely a splurge once in a life time experience for us. I've been saving up for 2 years on this, and while I would love to stay a deluxe every time we visit, its basically out of my pay grade.

packfan79

Original Poster
For shear convenience Poly is excellent, being able to walk over to the epcot monorail and the boat to MK is great. AKL I agree it's far but it has its own dedicated busses so not sharing with other resorts is great. WL theming amazing. You know this is the kind of debate I like to see in an election year.

If only our politicians had as many amazing qualities as a Disney resort.....:rolleyes::D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom