Rider Switch & FP+, huh?

MrHappy

Original Poster
Sorry if this has been explained already (tried a search, couldn't find).

I've read a mix of how Rider Switch works in conjunction with a FP+. I'm not looking to beat the system.....simply work with it. I'm the head planner for my party: 5 adults, 1 toddler (tall, will ride), 1 baby. If we get FP+'s for "RIDE X" for 2 adults and the toddler, can we get 3 Rider Switch passes for the remaining 3 adults (group 2) to go on "RIDE X" and enter though the FP+ line (after group 1 has rode)?

I've read online anywhere from:
  • You can only get 2 Rider Switch Passes in that scenario
  • You can only get 1 Rider Switch, but that 1 can be used 3 times (heh?)
  • Group 2 can not use the FP+ line, must wait in regular line
  • The CM/greeter determines all fate and there really aren't "rules"
  • It's risky
  • It's easy
  • You basically double your Fastpass+'s
My FP+ booking date is coming up soon, I'd love some clarity on this so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks for your help!

CaptainAmerica

You just said "I'm not looking to beat the system" and then lay out a plan wherein you try to beat the system. Just get six fastpasses and use them in two groups of three.

Yes, the scheme you laid out will almost always work and is not officially against any rule that I know of. But it's absolutely against the spirit of the way the thing is supposed to work and I'd consider it "beating the system."

MrHappy

Original Poster
I didn't realize Rider Switch is frowned upon. I certainly wouldn't want to exploit the system.

Disneydreamer23

What I have seen people do is 3 people in the party get a FP for Tower or Terror and the other 4 get Aero Smith Set A. Uses fast pass gets a rider switch then the other group goes then they go to Aero Smith etc.

doctornick

To clarify on your question about the pass itself, you would get one Rider Switch pass but that one pass could be used to get up to 3 people on the ride in question.

DisneyChik17

Why do you need FP+ and Rider Switch? If you FP+ a ride for everyone, you have a 1-hour window to use it. So, 2 or 3 go it with the older child, while the other 2 or 3 stay with baby, then switch. It won't take an hour for one group to get through the FP+ queue line.

Disney.Mike

He is using it to get 6 fastpasses for group a day... it will work but is frowned upon

Ride A-C (group members 1,2,3 have FP+ for this): these 3 ride using their fastpass and get childswap ... then give childswap to members 4,5,6 for these adults to use the FP line without using a FP

Ride D-F ( group members 4,5,6 have FP+ for this) these 3 ride using FP and get childswap... give childswap to member 1,2,3 so these members use childswap to go through FP line

its not against the rules but is against the spirit... allows this one group essentially 6 FP+ rides a day using the childswap

Tom

Beta Return
We were able to utilize this feature on our trip a few weeks ago. What it does, more than anything, is ensures that no adult has to ride alone, which I think is a nice gesture.

For example, my wife, baby and I went, and my mom came with us. We all had Fastpasses for 7DMT and Tower of Terror (different days, but these are my examples).

Since someone has to stay with the baby, the other 2 adults rode. The CM hands you an old paper Fastpass when the first pair gets in the FP line. When my mom and I exited the ride, she kept the paper Fastpass, and my wife rode with her using her still unused FP+.

Yes, it can be "abused" but I think that's worth the trade-off that nobody has to ride things alone, which is no fun. With FP+ queues being fairly long these days, there's still that time standing in line with nobody to talk to. Plus enjoying the ride with someone you know is more fun than a strange (for most of us, especially introverts).

I don't feel that we gamed the system, because it's how they've set it up. Yes, someone got to ride twice in a row, but it didn't impact the FP or standby line. Perhaps one party of 1 had to wait for one additional train because of it, on 7DMT, but on Tower, with all the odd number seating configurations, it didn't set anyone back.

I think it's a great feature, and was very appreciated by our group.

Flippin'Flounder

We were able to utilize this feature on our trip a few weeks ago. What it does, more than anything, is ensures that no adult has to ride alone, which I think is a nice gesture.

For example, my wife, baby and I went, and my mom came with us. We all had Fastpasses for 7DMT and Tower of Terror (different days, but these are my examples).

Since someone has to stay with the baby, the other 2 adults rode. The CM hands you an old paper Fastpass when the first pair gets in the FP line. When my mom and I exited the ride, she kept the paper Fastpass, and my wife rode with her using her still unused FP+.

Yes, it can be "abused" but I think that's worth the trade-off that nobody has to ride things alone, which is no fun. With FP+ queues being fairly long these days, there's still that time standing in line with nobody to talk to. Plus enjoying the ride with someone you know is more fun than a strange (for most of us, especially introverts).

I don't feel that we gamed the system, because it's how they've set it up. Yes, someone got to ride twice in a row, but it didn't impact the FP or standby line. Perhaps one party of 1 had to wait for one additional train because of it, on 7DMT, but on Tower, with all the odd number seating configurations, it didn't set anyone back.

But that's because there were only 3 adults. It's different when you have six.

ninjaprincesst

It's nice that it works for you, but it's also unfair, because as you stated no one wants to ride alone, but just because you have a baby you have a solution. It really sucks for groups like ours, we have two adults and a teen so no matter what some always has to alone

MrHappy

Original Poster
Thank you for your feedback. For the sake of my WDWMagic reputation, I will not partake in the RS/FP+. It was just something I stumbled upon from a rather creditable site while planning my up coming trip (my wife and I do a lot of research and been about a dozen times, we enjoy looking for new things to do and ways to optimize the trip). Not to take traffic from this site and give the other site a boost, but if you google "rider switch at disney world" you'll see it where I found this. I don't think it's as vile as abusing the single rider line, but I can clearly see how this practice would be against the spirit.

ARO

Why do you need FP+ and Rider Switch? If you FP+ a ride for everyone, you have a 1-hour window to use it. So, 2 or 3 go it with the older child, while the other 2 or 3 stay with baby, then switch. It won't take an hour for one group to get through the FP+ queue line.

This is what we have done in the past when we had a large group. Having 6 riders it works perfectly. (4 on, 2 with baby-no one rides alone) Of course, the six won't get to ride at the same time.

Fast pass wouldn't be fast if everyone chose to do what MrHappy is suggesting. :(

ratherbeinwdw

We are always three or five so we take turns riding alone. What's the big deal about riding alone? I actually volunteer to ride alone on many rides. I can't do coasters anymore, so I ride things I can ride--by myself, while they do the coasters.

Retroman40

Any rider switch scheme has minimal impact on FP+ as it's not particularly popular anyway. Imagine how much better the world could be if people put the same effort into solving real issues as they do in trying to game something like FP+.

CaptainAmerica

We are always three or five so we take turns riding alone. What's the big deal about riding alone? I actually volunteer to ride alone on many rides. I can't do coasters anymore, so I ride things I can ride--by myself, while they do the coasters.
The only ride I really object to riding alone on is Mine Train. Those seats aren't made for full size human beings.

CaptainAmerica

How do you abuse the single rider line? Not that I want to do it - I just can't see how it can be abused.
Apparently people get in the single rider line and then give the Cast Member a hassle at the loading platform and basically refuse to board separately like they're supposed to. It usually takes the form of the guest playing dumb by acting like they didn't know what the single rider line is for and/or that they don't speak English. In the name of efficiency and courteousness, the Cast Member seats them together rather than argues.

I've never seen it myself, but there was a thread a few days ago of some folks who see it as a big issue.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Apparently people get in the single rider line and then give the Cast Member a hassle at the loading platform and basically refuse to board separately like they're supposed to. It usually takes the form of the guest playing dumb by acting like they didn't know what the single rider line is for and/or that they don't speak English. In the name of efficiency and courteousness, the Cast Member seats them together rather than argues.

I've never seen it myself, but there was a thread a few days ago of some folks who see it as a big issue.

I have seen this a few times at WDW and in DLP. But each time the CM wasn't buying it and the groups were split.

danyoung56

That is pretty amazingly wrong. There are also some folks who think that single rider lines should be reserved for single park stormers, which is not the case. You can be a party of 20 people and still use this line, as long as you're willing to be broken up into parties of 1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom