Celebrating 15 years of California Adventure

TP2000

That's a cute little anniversary show. Since the entire Resort is in the middle of the 60th Diamond Celebration, not sure how/if/why they would need to do anything more.

A few random thoughts on that video;

1. The Disneyland Resort operation is now run entirely by women execs. Mary Niven SVP of Ops has two Ops VP's running each park, Kris Tyler and Christie Fleischer. That has to be a first. It's also a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. It's a shame Aaron Spelling isn't still making action-drama TV shows because I feel he could really do a Charlie's Angels Meets Dallas type thing with these powerful lady executives running the Disneyland Resort. And then have fabulous celebrity guests each week who are coming to visit Disneyland and encounter mystery/romance/comedy, like Love Boat had every episode. Someone get me the number for NBC, I have a pitch to make.

2. Was it me, or did Kris and Christie seem awkward as they were called up there by Mary? When the band crashed into "Aint We Got Fun?" at the end of the ceremony the execs should have danced with the characters and the newsboys. That would have been hysterical.

3. There will be a time at some point in the not-too-distant future when pyrotechnics will be outlawed in California for spewing particulates and toxic chemicals into the air. I have no idea how Disney will be able to communicate that a mid-sized event is now over without that.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Totally agree... BUT, in the park's defense, I will also say this -- we are not children, or at least as far as I can tell. (Maybe at heart we are, but you know what I mean.) DCA will never have the same kind of emotional connection to us that the MK parks, EPCOT, etc, may have had to many of us. While it's true that Disneyland (and WDW's MK for that matter) has a special something that can't quite be put into words, I would bet that 20 years from now there are plenty of children growing up today who will look back back at their DCA experiences and consider them magical and full of emotion.
"It is for children" and variations on that theme are just excuses for an experience not being compelling. Obsessive brand attachments created through repetition and a desire to retreat into childhood is also a very negative force that similarly prevents the creation of strong experiences.

mickEblu

It seems impossible that something like Superstar Limo even got made. It is so incredibly unbelievably awful. I love it.

Lol. It really is mind boggling. Like how did this thing get green lit? How did 2 or more people that weren't stoned out of their mind agree on this. Ok, nevermind, halfway through the last sentence I answered my own question.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think that is more the lack of any single vision for the park. $1 billion in glitz and glitter isn't what creates a lasting emotional experience. The park still lacks a heart and its vision is not much more than an expensive amusement park of franchises.

But sitting next to dl where people have all that first ad foremost- dca will always be the step child in those fans eyes. The slot is already taken, and people are raised to know you love dl.

It is a fight no one else can win until dl self destructs

Simply put.. Dca will always be in the shadow of dl no matter how good it really is

Personally I find dca very enjoyable. Flawless, no, but worth doing. I also like dhs... So ppl can flame on :)

lazyboy97o

But sitting next to dl where people have all that first ad foremost- dca will always be the step child in those fans eyes. The slot is already taken, and people are raised to know you love dl.

It is a fight no one else can win until dl self destructs

Simply put.. Dca will always be in the shadow of dl no matter how good it really is

Personally I find dca very enjoyable. Flawless, no, but worth doing. I also like dhs... So ppl can flame on :)
Across the world every Disney park essentially lives in Disneyland's shadow, but many still are able to create some level of attachment and resonance.

dweezil78

"It is for children" and variations on that theme are just excuses for an experience not being compelling. Obsessive brand attachments created through repetition and a desire to retreat into childhood is also a very negative force that similarly prevents the creation of strong experiences.

Right or wrong -- have you ever been with a grown adult visiting Disneyland for the first time? It's never the same as it is for us who grew up with it.

Edit -- Also, was not using the 'it is for children' argument. I'm just saying the memories we have from childhood, especially at a very specific age in childhood, have an enormous impact on the rest of our lives. I experienced the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT at this age in my life and those parks will forever be magical because of it, even if the latter doesn't even come close to measuring up to what it was when I was a child.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Across the world every Disney park essentially lives in Disneyland's shadow, but many still are able to create some level of attachment and resonance.

Across the world does not equate to 'my disneyland' which SoCal people have been raised on for the last 50 years. Dl is part of the area culture and part of how people grew up. Nothing replicates that from when someone didn't grow up there.

Phroobar

Super Star Limo was originally suppose to be a high speed chase by the paparazzi through LA. Then Princess Diana died and it got turned into this.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
If you enjoy paying $100 to go on a kiddie mall train with some oversized food sets and a few Glade plug-ins. Difference is, the mall train lasts a little longer and you don't ever have to wait in line. ;)

I like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train because it never tries to be something it's not (none of the bug's land rides do, IMO). It's very much a kiddie ride, one that doesn't attempt to be better than something like Casey, and it's cute. As short as it is, I enjoy the smells and Heimlich's ridiculous commentary, which I find funny.

I wouldn't cry if Disney decided to take Heimlich's Chew Chew Train out, but I do like the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom