New Star Wars half at WDW announced

Mad Stitch

I was able to get a last minute DLR Star Wars through a listed travel agency so I could get that Kessel Run medal. Check the runDisney page for travel agents.
And aren't you doing Paris too? So is that 16 Disney medals over 4 weekends? Your poor bank account.

FigmentPigments

rundisneymoney.jpg

Mad Stitch

The Force Awakens is being released on Blu-ray April 15, race weekend. Do you know what would be really epic? Them showing the movie prior to the race start. That would get me into my corral early.Maybe I'll go to a resort movie night and Jedi mind trick the CM to walk away as I switch out the DVD for Star Wars.

Texas84

Killing time waiting for a phone call. Sounds like the 5K will be through Epcot and the 10K will run from Epcot to WWoS. I modified the marathon map to guess the 10K. Not enough info yet for the half. Reversed January course maybe.
DarkSide10K.jpg

Mad Stitch

Killing time waiting for a phone call. Sounds like the 5K will be through Epcot and the 10K will run from Epcot to WWoS. I modified the marathon map to guess the 10K. Not enough info yet for the half. Reversed January course maybe.
View attachment 129348
Did that change at some point? I thought the 10k was starting and finishing at Epcot, so I was expecting the usual 10k course. This is much better.

My only concern about a reverse January/W&D for the half is can the sidewalk between the resorts and the Studios handle the crowds that early in the race?

Texas84

Did that change at some point? I thought the 10k was starting and finishing at Epcot, so I was expecting the usual 10k course. This is much better.

My only concern about a reverse January/W&D for the half is can the sidewalk between the resorts and the Studios handle the crowds that early in the race?

Yeah, I figured the 5K and 10K would be the same as Marathon Weekend. The runDisney web page says start at Epcot and finish at WWoS for the 10K and half and it even says spectators will have to take a bus from Epcot to WWoS for the finish. 5K will just be Epcot. Will the traditionalists be upset about Star Wars characters in Epcot? ;)

The Star Wars 10K is packed with 6.2 miles of running excitement. The thrills begin at Epcot® where you'll wind your way through Future World and World Showcase, then on to Disney's Hollywood Studios® running down Hollywood Blvd and on to the ESPN Wide World of Sports for an exciting Star Wars 10K finisher celebration.

Not much information on the half course yet. Not that I can find anyway. Should be interesting.

Chet Dakota

Yeah, I figured the 5K and 10K would be the same as Marathon Weekend. The runDisney web page says start at Epcot and finish at WWoS for the 10K and half and it even says spectators will have to take a bus from Epcot to WWoS for the finish. 5K will just be Epcot. Will the traditionalists be upset about Star Wars characters in Epcot? ;)

The Star Wars 10K is packed with 6.2 miles of running excitement. The thrills begin at Epcot® where you'll wind your way through Future World and World Showcase, then on to Disney's Hollywood Studios® running down Hollywood Blvd and on to the ESPN Wide World of Sports for an exciting Star Wars 10K finisher celebration.

Not much information on the half course yet. Not that I can find anyway. Should be interesting.

I did the three Star Wars races at Disneyland a few weeks ago. Very impressed with the event as it was my first runDisney. Really loved the courses, especially the 10k course. Running through the two parks and in the backstage areas was quite an experience. They enhanced some of the backstage areas, like having Vader breathing in tunnels, and lights and strobes in other areas that "plused" up otherwise boring areas.

I am also going to do the three races at WDW in April and am looking forward to seeing what the final course layouts will be. Unfortunately, it looks like EPCOT will be the primary park, which to me, seems like the most unexciting of the four parks in Florida. Hopefully, we get some Magic Kingdom and/or DHS for the Half.

Texas84

With the half finish at WWoS, a modified reverse Wine & Dine course running through World Showcase looks most likely. Epcot to DHS, DHS to AK, down Osceola to WWoS.

BackOTheLine

It seems like if the Half course is a reverse of the Wine & Dine it's going to be tougher mentally having the last section of the course be nothing but Osceola as opposed to the uplifting excitement of running through a couple of parks... Hopefully they have Vader out threatening people with a lightsaber or some other appropriate motivation.

Mad Stitch

They are going to squeeze in as many people as possible for this one.
I heard that the course was altered to accommodate more people, so yes. Now if that means altered to use wider roads or altered as in the course is no longer Epcot>Studios>AK>ESPN, I don't know.

Texas84

This would be kind of dull but here is another possibility: Use the old marathon route that starts outside of Epcot then goes through World Showcase (add the Boardwalk loop if needed). Then instead of turning north on World, turn south. Detour through Buena Vista then Osceola to a WWoS finish.
Half-Alt.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom