Avatar construction aerial updates

BrianLo

That's not horrible, do you know if the show buildings are tangled together or are there two distinct structures underneath the theming?

Yes, it's a really awkward view because the boat ride occupies "floor one" and is quite difficult to see from this angle (in purple), pink is the maintenance shed for the boats. Purple is the entirety of the boat ride, it does not extend into the red building.

The queue for the Banshee building is floor two (in turquoise), the four different ride theatres all occupy a corner of the huge show building (in red), you will load on floors one through three once the queue enters on floor two.

24901920416_958c86c8d5_z.jpg

I hate to judge and criticize things before they're finished, but one big concern I have is being able to see the showbuildings. The rocks don't fold over the top of the showbuilding for some reason, instead they stop a couple feet short of the top. Why, I am not sure. All I'm saying is that the building better not be able to be seen, becuase that would ruin any illusion or magic that they're going for.

@hpyhnt 1000 answered it for you. The entire rock work is approximately the same height, but it's a separate structure that sits a few meters in front of the show building. The angle is awkward and makes it look much shorter than it does when you are looking from the ground.

Also, take another look at one of the unedited aerials, I added a little yellow circle where I want you to look. You can see that they are attaching minimal rock work (as necessary) to the actual show building where it would be visible from the ground.

I would bet my life you won't be able to see any show building from anywhere in Pandora. You may be able to see a small sliver of it from on top of Everest if they don't do anything else.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow. Those pictures show a ton of progress. The yellow root-looking supports are particularly cool.

I hate to judge and criticize things before they're finished, but one big concern I have is being able to see the showbuildings. The rocks don't fold over the top of the showbuilding for some reason, instead they stop a couple feet short of the top. Why, I am not sure. All I'm saying is that the building better not be able to be seen, becuase that would ruin any illusion or magic that they're going for.
These photos are from a drone or plane or something. They are looking down on the land. If I had to guess I would assume that if you are on the ground looking up you won't see any of the show building from any of the land.

No Name

Yes, it's a really awkward view because the boat ride occupies "floor one" and is quite difficult to see from this angle (in purple), pink is the maintenance shed for the boats. Purple is the entirety of the boat ride, it does not extend into the red building.

The queue for the Banshee building is floor two (in turquoise), the four different ride theatres all occupy a corner of the huge show building (in red), you will load on floors one through three once the queue enters on floor two.

24901920416_958c86c8d5_z.jpg

@hpyhnt 1000 answered it for you. The entire rock work is approximately the same height, but it's a separate structure that sits a few meters in front of the show building. The angle is awkward and makes it look much shorter than it does when you are looking from the ground.

Also, take another look at one of the unedited aerials, I added a little yellow circle where I want you to look. You can see that they are attaching minimal rock work (as necessary) to the actual show building where it would be visible from the ground.

I would bet my life you won't be able to see any show building from anywhere in Pandora. You may be able to see a small sliver of it from on top of Everest if they don't do anything else.

Ah that makes sense. I forgot that the rockwork isn't actually attached to the building. So yes, I'm sure you won't be able to see it from inside the land. I'm sure they're smart enough to test the view from every angle. I just hate how in Universal, you can see where the rock facade ends on the Forbidden Journey showbuilding from the back-left entrance to the land (I think that's the spot). It ruins the effect for me. They avoided any of that in Diagon and it was one of the most spectacular places I've seen.

Even more so, I hate how you can see the entire backside, garage-looking part of Everest from the top of Blizzard Beach! Yuck. I don't care that the back is painted brown or that you aren't in the park. It's still ugly.

BrianLo

One more tiny thing worth pointing out again... this is basically meaningless because DAK is certainly not short on expansion options, but there is clearly room left with the express purpose of future expansion (if that option is ever taken, which again is more likely no than yes).

24810699272_9614873244_z.jpg

We thought that whole area was eaten up by the power station, but it's actually much smaller and in purple.

DisneyRoy

One more tiny thing worth pointing out again... this is basically meaningless because DAK is certainly not short on expansion options, but there is clearly room left with the express purpose of future expansion (if that option is ever taken, which again is more likely no than yes).

We thought that whole area was eaten up by the power station, but it's actually much smaller and in purple.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think it all depends on how the sequels do. If they do another billion+ each, then I think Disney would be wise to follow through on that expansion. If not...then they have some land available to do something else with.

Cesar R M

That building is enormous! Actually, everything about this expansion is enormous. And to think that TSL is roughly the same acreage and SWL is even larger. Wow!
it actually makes me wonder.. will the hangar will feature "robots" and "mechs" as decoration? an imitation of a real human base in pandora like the one of the first movie?

because that thing looks HUGE.
unless it will have both quick and sit down indoor restaurants?

Mike S

it actually makes me wonder.. will the hangar will feature "robots" and "mechs" as decoration? an imitation of a real human base in pandora like the one of the first movie?

because that thing looks HUGE.
unless it will have both quick and sit down indoor restaurants?
Were any of the mechs or helicopters actual props? Obviously when they were just sitting around. If so maybe Disney could snag some like the truck outside of IJA in DL.

matt9112

Were any of the mechs or helicopters actual props? Obviously when they were just sitting around. If so maybe Disney could snag some like the truck outside of IJA in DL.

My gut says the army components will be downplayed alot if even present.

@marni1971. Do you know what time period the land is set in (example after movie one)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The area I marked in blue will likely also be available since those are just construction trailers for this project.
Capture.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom