Star Wars Disney Characters Going Away?

Chet Dakota

Original Poster
i was in Art of Disney tonight at DS and one of the cast members that worked the character sketches told me that they could no longer do Star Wars Disney Character sketches and that the Disney Star Wars Characters were going away company-wide. She said that it was to maintain the integrity of the real Star Wars characters. So, no more Jedi Mickey, or Darth Maul Duck? Goofy Vader? I did still see the plush dolls in Once Upon a Toy though.

Is this information accurate?

GiveMeTheMusic

i was in Art of Disney tonight at DS and one of the cast members that worked the character sketches told me that they could no longer do Star Wars Disney Character sketches and that the Disney Star Wars Characters were going away company-wide. She said that it was to maintain the integrity of the real Star Wars characters. So, no more Jedi Mickey, or Darth Maul Duck? Goofy Vader? I did still see the plush dolls in Once Upon a Toy though.

Yes it is.

prberk

I don't really care about the rest but I will miss jedi Mickey. I understand why this is being done though.

I don't. It was alright before, and should be alright now. Part of what has kept the Star Wars "franchise" so popular is that Lucasfilm did not take it so completely seriously that they could not have a little fun with it. It was well-balanced in that way. Even going back to the beginning (the "Star Wars Christmas Special" anyone?), and continuing to the present ("Family Guy Star Wars" and Disney's "Phineas and Ferb Star Wars" and Mr. Potato Head's "Darth Tater" and other officially licensed take-offs), the fun pop-culture mix-ups helped to bring some levity which ultimately helped it continue to be something that reached broad audiences. Jedi Mickey did just that also.

If Disney continues down this deadly-serious approach to Star Wars "integrity," it will actually have the unintended consequences of undermining it overall. It is already ubiquitous and ready for the backlash again just due to the sheer volume of "Star Wars" out there, but Disney taking the thing so seriously will only make people sick of it and ready for a backlash sooner, in my opinion.

At least by allowing the "official" versions of the fun taken with the characters, they maintain more control over the characters in pop culture and ensure better integrity than if they start taking things so seriously. Ultimately the fan base (and haters) will still make jokes and pop culture references to the Star Wars characters, whether or not the company participates. At least if the company participates it helps set the tone; but if not, the pop culture references are left outside of their control, and much less likely to be friendly to Disney's desires.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

They seemed to have a REDICULOUS Amount of dolls of them in several of the park stores and I just returned home from a two week trip there. They had Darth Goofy, Jedi Mickey, Yoda Stitch..Several art pieces with them, Mickey's Lightsaber (which I bought)..I mentioned in another post about the Costumed Versions and those were gone for good..

Chet Dakota

Original Poster
Kind of like how releasing a movie every year for the rest of eternity preserves the integrity?

...Or, as I brought up to her, putting Darth Vader in a Space Mountain car holding a Mickey Ice Cream Bar on a t-shirt and selling it at World of Disney preserves the integrity of the character.

asianway

This edict came down in June-merch still had to work its way through the cycle

No Name

Well that sucks.

And it's a terrible decision too. Jedi Mickey and Darth Goofy and the rest really was a lighthearted and fun way to tie Star Wars to the gang and sell merchandise. It was a great way to sell to people who don't care much about Star Wars and wouldn't buy a tee-shirt with just actual Star Wars characters. Also a great way to sell to young children. Also a great way to sell to... idk... everyone..

This decision will actually wind up hurting. The problem is that there may still be an increase in Star Wars-related sales becuase of the new movies. There just won't be as much of an increase as their could've been had they left their fun tie-in stuff up for sale. So as much as I'd like to think otherwise, this is probably, sadly, a permanent decision.

Worst park news I've heard in a while.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Jedi Mickey was the only one who looked decent anyway. Darth Goofy was a bit too much.
Most of them were actually pretty good. Goffy was the only one I found a little out of sorts, but it is Goofy so it kind of has to be expected.

Darth Duck was simply awesome.
045544354608.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom