Trip Report We're Not Stopping... Just Keep Hopping! A September 2015 Trip Report

And so... we are back. How is it that the wait for Disney is so long and exciting and then in a blink of an eye, it’s over? :cry:

I am so glad we were able to take this trip. It was a difficult year and we really needed some magic and fantasy to “reboot” our lives. We were in Disney from September 11th - 21st and stayed at French Quarters.

For those of you who do not know us...

IMG_6885.jpg

Me - Mary / Mom (The Disney Fanatic)

thumb_IMG_7438_1024.jpg

Ross / Dad / Grumpy (Although he had an identity crisis this trip and thought he was Cinderella.)

thumb_IMG_8471_1024.jpg

Julia / Sissy - My now teenage Mouseketeer

thumb_IMG_8097_1024.jpg

Hope / “The Hopester” My 6 year old princess - diagnosed with Severe Autism and Sensory Integration Disorder.

thumb_IMG_8154_1024.jpg

If you want to check out our past adventures:

September 2013 Trip
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/completed-this-is-autism-when-you-add-a-little-pixie-dust.873100/

September 2014 Trip
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/honey-i-blew-up-the-magic-band-completed.892800/

Even though we are all in Post Disney Depression, at least I can re-live the memories!

Ready or not... Here we go!

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_7960_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7960_1024.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 74

Figment Forever

Original Poster
thumb_IMG_7941_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7934_1024.jpg

Hope was so wanting to meet Pocahontas! She absolutely adores her! I knew her line would be cut off quickly- so Ross said he would take Hope and wait for the line to open while Julia & I ran to ride Everest. He got them both some ice-cream to eat - it was brutally hot today!

When we returned, the line was opened and Ross & Hope were near the middle, so we found them and waited the rest of the time.

Pocahontas did not disappoint! She was great and I think they loved Hope’s costume. It seemed like PhotoPass took a ton of pictures of her.
thumb_IMG_7951_1024.jpg

Funny story - Hope was having a difficult time posing for the picture. So all of a sudden, Pocahontas got right in her face - eye level and exclaimed, “We need to teach you how to pose like Pocahontas! She showed her how to position her feet… her hips… her arms… and even her head tilt… Hope must have really listened to her because from that moment on, whenever we need her to pose, we say “Pose like Pocahontas!” Thanks Pocahontas!

thumb_IMG_7956_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7958_1024.jpg

AK_BOATLND_7461388872.jpeg

AK_BOATLND_7461390838.jpeg

AK_BOATLND_7461388866.jpeg

Julia is also a fan of Pocahontas!

AK_BOATLND_7461388592.jpeg

AK_BOATLND_7461387206.jpeg

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 4 Continued...

This guy was there with Pocahontas. Cool to meet a villain here and there!

thumb_IMG_7968_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7973_1024.jpg

The sun was still beating down as we traveled to Africa to board our safari. Happy to say, our journey was with very mellow people this year - no drama to report. The animals were really making an appearance - except the lions. They were a bit elusive this time. But still an awesome ride! Seems like some construction was going on… And what trip report would be complete without the safari pictures?

thumb_IMG_7981_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7984_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7991_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7999_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8003_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8005_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8007_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8015_1024.jpg

Figment Forever

Original Poster
After our safari, we walked over to FOTLK. We were excited to watch it in its new home! Funny, The Lion King is not one of my favorite movies, but this show is my favorite next to Fantasmic!

IMG_8045.jpg

When the show started, I realized that there were only 3 people instead of 4 running the show. I always thought that there was one person for each of the “animal” sections. But today, one person took over 2 sections.

The show was awesome as always. We all loved it. This year, Hope didn’t need to be cued to clap or cheer. She was so excited. She seems to have a connection with music and dance. Near the end, she was dancing in place in the space in front of Ross, (who had he arms ready for a attempted escape!) There was a “zebra” in front of her dancing and it didn’t take Hope long to have her dance sequence memorized and was mirroring her steps exactly!

IMG_8072.jpg

Then I saw something I never saw happen - the zebra broke character and looked at Hope and laughed! She kept glancing her way and chuckling! When it was done, she came over and high fived Hope and told her what a good dancer she was!

And then… she came back asked her if she wanted to go up and parade around the stage. Ross and I looked at each other. I saw sheer fear in his eyes and he wrapped his arms around her. I remember last year, being at Enchanted Tales With Belle and feeling so sad watching all the kids take part in the show and wondering if Hope would ever be able to join in like “typical” kids do. If you are a parent of a special needs kiddo - you know the feeling I am describing. As stupid as it sounds, in those few seconds, a million feelings and memories flashed through my mind. Suddenly, I heard the pediatric neurologist who, when Hope was 2, told me she may never speak, toilet train or function independently… and here was this zebra asking her to be a part of a show that to me, seemed larger than life.

“Let her go!” I shouted to him - she can do it! She wants to do it! Hesitantly, Ross released her and off she went! It was obvious, she didn’t understand like the other kids. The “animals” were giving instructions and while the other kids looked at them and nodded, Hope jumped up & down shaking this maraca they had handed her. Disney entertainers are truly amazing. It didn’t take them long to realize Hope needed a little more assistance and a sweet lion held out a hand and off she went with the others! Around the stage they danced (and jumped) and of course I was crying the whole time. This was also the time when my phone aka camera gave me the message, “no more space!” NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Yep - can you believe it? I was so mad at myself. I frantically started deleting pictures and was able to capture this at the end…

It was truly awesome.

I asked Hope after - "Did you have fun?" and after a few seconds she gasped, "YES!"

People ask me why I go to Disney ever year - and this is why. Because it is a truly magical place where dreams come true.

SweetEvangeline

I can totally relate to this story in so many ways! Grace has been pulled into the Lion King show twice, but in her wheelchair due to her vision issues. Unfortunately, Grace really couldn't care less about it, but it means the world to her parents who never get the chance to see her treated as a "typical" kid. Disney really knows how to make everyone feel special...especially the parents! :) It's what takes us back again and again!
So happy for all of you with Hope's progress!! These kiddos never cease to amaze us!

It was truly awesome.

I asked Hope after - "Did you have fun?" and after a few seconds she gasped, "YES!"

People ask me why I go to Disney ever year - and this is why. Because it is a truly magical place where dreams come true.
[/QUOTE]

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I can totally relate to this story in so many ways! Grace has been pulled into the Lion King show twice, but in her wheelchair due to her vision issues. Unfortunately, Grace really couldn't care less about it, but it means the world to her parents who never get the chance to see her treated as a "typical" kid. Disney really knows how to make everyone feel special...especially the parents! :) It's what takes us back again and again!
So happy for all of you with Hope's progress!! These kiddos never cease to amaze us!

It was truly awesome.

[/QUOTE]

Yes - I was so impressed by the Disney Entertainers & characters! Thanks so much for reading along!!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Okay - so a little off topic here... But hoping some of you guys can help. We are hoping to visit again this September 2016. I see on a few really good "unofficial" sites that IASW is going down for refurbishment August 22nd - September 16th. Of course, that's Hope's FAVORITE ride - so we are considering changing things up a bit so she can enjoy it on our trip. Here's the thing... I spoke with WDW and they say it is NOT scheduled for any refurbishment in September. Who do I trust? I know this must sound crazy but... well I am! lol Any advice???

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 4 Continued...

Soon enough, we traveled from the jungles of Africa to the heyday of Hollywood. As promised, we went directly to Pizza Planet.

thumb_IMG_8082_1024.jpg

We ordered and paid and got a pager for my GF pizza. We sat upstairs and everyone ate except me. lol I waited and waited and waited… At last, the buzzer went off and Ross ran downstairs to get my pizza. It was very yummy!

thumb_IMG_8085_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8086_1024.jpg

Hope wanted to go see Disney Jr. but it ended for the day. She was having a hard time with that so we walked over and showed her the showtimes and then showed her my phone to see the time. She wasn’t happy with it, but I think she got it. We went over to see the last showing of Frozen.

thumb_IMG_8090_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8093_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8094_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8095_1024.jpg

We all love this show! Then we rode TSMM - I had the high score in the car!

thumb_IMG_8097_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8102_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8107_1024.jpg

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 4 Continued...

We split up after this. I’m not sure what Ross & Hope did but I know Julia talked me into ToT again! We walked over and the standby line was 120 minutes! I said no way because we wanted to make Fantastic and I wasn’t going to chance it. Julia had to use the bathroom so we walked over near Rock & Roller Coaster. I have never been on this - and would really like to give it a try. I tried to convince Julia to go on, but she was adamant - No!. Julia loves rides - but hates to go upside down. Bummer! I really did try my best to change her mind but she wrapped her arms around a lamp post and stood her ground - No! I told her she was being a little too dramatic! She wanted to check the time for ToT again. We walked back over to still see the wait at 120 minutes. I told her it wasn’t going to change any time soon - and of course as soon as those words left my lips, the numbers on the sign changed to 20 minutes! We looked at each other and laughed and then got on the line. I don’t think we waited more than 10 minutes - it flew by! Even faster than when we had a FP!

STUDIO_TOWEROFTERRORBRIDE_7461786304.jpeg

We were glad that the weather was clear tonight and we began the walk up to see
Fantasmic. There were 2 shows today and we were going to the first one, but thought about going back into the second show. Especially since we didn’t get to see it the first night we were int the park. It was packed!! I don’t think there was an empty seat in the theater! It was an awesome show as always. Last year, the riverboat was out of commission so it was nice to see that back with all the characters on it.

thumb_IMG_8116_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8128_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8131_1024.jpg

When we walked out, we decided not to see it again. Instead we went back to ride Star Tours which was a walk on. Funny, Hope didn't want to ride it this year even thought last year she liked the “spaceship”. We thought about running to the Muppets but decided we didn’t have time to rush there.

We wanted to beat the crowds coming out of the second show of
Fantasmic so we stopped for a few pictures...
STUDIO_SUNSET3_7461848394.jpeg

STUDIO_SUNSET4_7461828386.jpeg

STUDIO_HBTAILOR_7475739712.jpeg

and then headed back to French Quarters and to these…

thumb_IMG_8135_1024.jpg

Oh My! They were so yummy! I thought they were even better than the regular ones.

Then it was off to bed. Hope’s shoes on the bed again!

Up Next: Day 5 - Royal Waffles & Flying Beignets

Last edited:

Figment Forever

Original Poster
You've got to try Rock & Roller Coaster! I think ToT is more scary than RR! I was the same way as Julia about going upside down, but it's so fast and dark that you hardly notice!

Thanks! I'm hoping Julia will give it a try next time. Is it a smooth ride? When Julia was 5, she was a ride daredevil and very tall, so we talked her into trying an upside down coaster at our Six Flags. It was very bumpy and she didn't like her head banging around - which I could understand, but she attached that to all upside down experiences. But you never know - she might do it! If not, I think Ross and I will brave it and go on.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 5: September 15th Epcot

Today was a full Epcot day! Epcot is Julia’s and my favorite park. I made a breakfast ADR at Norway for 8:30 and as you already know, that is early for our family. We arrived to the bus stop and were on are way by 8:00.
thumb_IMG_8139_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8143_1024.jpg

This poor little girl was trying so hard to strike up a conversation with Hope. I give her credit, she got her attention which is huge!

thumb_IMG_8147_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8148_1024.jpg

I was hoping to get into the park before it opened, but unfortunately, it was morning EMH so that was foiled! It was still nice to walk through Epcot so early.

thumb_IMG_8151_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8154_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8156_1024.jpg

Of course we were running late so we rushed to the restaurant. Side note: I don’t think we have ever been on time for an ADR.

Belle was waiting for us and of course, Princess Hope was so excited for this meal. Belle was awesome; unfortunately, the pictures with her didn’t go on our Memory Maker and PhotoPass couldn’t find them, so we only have the few shots Ross took.

thumb_IMG_8159_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8160_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8162_1024.jpg

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 5 Continued...

After our picture, we were seated and the waitress brought me an allergy menu.

thumb_IMG_8206_1024.jpg

No chef came out. I asked for waffles for me and Julia asked for the regular ones. We had to ask another 3 times before she brought them and this is what landed in front of me. :(

thumb_IMG_8176_1024.jpg

Sigh…. I think I need to keep eating breakfast at FQ.

The food here was good - but nothing great.

thumb_IMG_8164_1024.jpg

The service was really bad this year. Our waitress was never around. Ross had to ask a number of times for more potatoes and drink refills.

The princesses were awesome! They are what makes this breakfast worth it.

thumb_IMG_8173_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8178_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8180_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8189_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8193_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8202_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8203_1024.jpg

I used to really like this restaurant. But now, like Play N Dine, if not for the princess why bother? Although I think I would enjoy dinner better than breakfast. Maybe next time we can change things up. I would always do it because of the princesses for Hope. I can’t help but wonder if the royal line up will change with the new new Frozen ride opening. It seems to make such sense to have Ann & Elsa or even Olaf meet for the picture instead of Belle. Bell always seemed to make more sense in France. But hey… just my ramblings…

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 5 Continued...

After breakfast, we stopped for a few pictures…

thumb_IMG_8211_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_8224_1024.jpg

EPCOT_WSNOR_7461954859.jpeg

EPCOT_WSNOR_7461954858.jpeg

We felt sad that the vikings were gone. But we are excited for the new Frozen ride. I can’t help but think how crazy it’s going to be when it first opens!

thumb_IMG_8216_1024.jpg

Photo Bomb!

EPCOT_WSNOR_7461954857.jpeg

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_8219_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8219_1024.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 29

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom