The Spirited 11th Hour ...

NormC

I think the Belle attraction is fun and the "cardboard" props did not take away from it at all. It added to it for very little cost. My children (11 and 17 at the time) and I enjoyed it for what it was. It is a Meet and Greet with Belle that is enhanced with some simple interactions over just waiting in line to get an autograph. The kids (and adults) get to play along with the story that Belle tells. It was never advertised as a ride or anything other than an interactive meet and greet. The mirror and the other animatronics are worth the visit alone. Could they have done a ride instead? Of course they could have.

andysol

I can understand that to an extent. But for me personally, it just looks like it starts off very very strong then fizzles into a dud of a story telling with silly props that seem to be nothing more than a way to make the guest feel involved. It seems extremely anticlimactic. From a very young kids POV, im sure its great though.

I get that you don't like the cardboard cut-outs. I'm curious what you think they should have done as a M&G instead. Saying it should be a ride or whatever doesn't help. If they had it as a meet and greet- would you prefer them to just walk in the magic mirror, talk to the armoire, meet Belle, get a picture, then leave? Thats already much better than princess fairytale hall where you just walk by a shoe, meet the princess get a picture then leave. Or do you think interacting with Belle via props adds to the production value & guest experience?

They wanted ETWB to be a "next gen" meet and greet. So with that limitation in place, what would you do differently?

Note: My opinion is that its nice for a meet and greet- but I cringe a little when we do it. The first time was great- much better than a meet and greet. But the subsequent visits weren't, because I had to sit through a "production" just to get the meet and greet/picture. Although my 2 yr old did faceplant last time and her plate went flying across the room and hit belle in the leg, so that was funny. The kids like it, so I do it- but having experienced it multiple times- it is much more efficient and produces a much better guest experience than a standard M&G. Cardboard cut outs or not.

tribbleorlfl

and why the hell they did that?
to cost cuts on management? did they split these again back to what they were after the disaster?

I would love to hear some details of that. When was it, how long did it last and did they undo the move after?
Sorry I'm just now getting back to you both. I wasn't really privy to the exact reason for the change other than some vague claims of "efficiency" and that the decision came down from GE corporate.

The result was a power struggle between f&b and merch to determine who came out on top; merch won and as a result, most of the layoffs were in f&b management. So, not only did they lose strong managers, they were replaced by merch managers who might have been great at running their retail ops but didn't know the first thing about running a restaurant. This in turn lead to a second wave of departures (either managers that were demoted and didn't want to be under inexperienced retail managers or assistant managers that butted with the same).

I was the culinary lead of a high volume restaurant and the new area manager made some really questionable decisions:
  • Took off a main menu item that wasn't served anywhere else in the park (high margin item, btw) in favor of burgers; never mind there were two other burger joints already within walking distance and my kitchen wasn't set up for burgers.
  • Made me cut BOH staff hours so they could reallocate to FOH. Doesn't help to have extra cashiers when cooks are swamped. I had several seasoned cooks leave bc they weren't getting enough hours.
  • Worst of all, I came back from vacation to find all of my walk-ins, reach-ins, store rooms and lines completely reorganized. The reason given was to help ordering and inventory. The result was my cooks had often had to RUN from one end of the kitchen to the other to get what they needed. Negatively impacted the guest experience and employee relations.
I don't know if ROps still exists or if they broke it back out again. I do know, objectively speaking, that food quality is down compared to when I worked there so I suspect it is. Portion sizes are smaller, and I see more pre-made and lesser-quality (ie, cheaper) products. "Innovations" like the former AYCE plan and the current dining plan smack as a retail gimmick, but have a negative impact on variety and quality.

Haymarket2008

I hear the argument of a more extensive ride, but, let's pretend they were going to build something: what would they build that would not be repetitive of Be our Guest, Gaston's, or even the Belle queue???? I feel like they really captured some of the best parts of the movie. Wouldn't a ride, say a carriage ride through the woods and into the castle, repeat a lot of Be Our Guest? Or would it just be a haunted mansion type ride where guests see random servant objects interacting with guests? Not knocking it, just not sure how they would build something not already represented. Thoughts? Ideas? All in fun of course :)

Good points. I wonder about that as well. I feel that they'd probably go the omnimover route. I think something a la Haunted Mansion would be really, really great.

lebeau

31c29a33b22fc203e8f5855c30c31399f7ea410dea796dd830b9a04d56512fa2.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah... that's not true at all. Stock valuation is based on discounted future cash flows in the form of dividends

Bzzzt.

That's a nice theory, but is long destroyed since the era of electronic trading and expansion of access to the markets. Most stocks aren't even paying dividends. Valuation is being driven by earnings, and growth potential. Everything is being driven as if they were growth stocks. Prices are driven by market news, potentials, and quarterly results... and less about company health, market execution, and long term success (mainly because of the death of the dividend). The electronic age empowers wealth growth through MOVEMENT rather than return on investments. The big money is made through trading on changes in validation, rather than dividends.

The exposure the modern electric market exposes means the single largest important thing to the company is the share price and protecting it. That is so wrong and leads to so much of the bad behavior of companies. The market is so out of control, even companies the size of Google can not change the game.

Every time this conversation comes up, it boils down to the people slamming incentive-based compensation not understanding incentive-based compensation.

And every time you retreat to 'im the only one with a clue' instead of realizing your view isn't the only one.

That metric is share price, and that share price is all the shareholders care about. Shareholders are the owners of the company, and Iger works for them.

Another ideal that is largely distorted in the modern market. The numerous classes of stock just make it so we have a gambling game tied to quarterly reports.

The majority of employees will get canned if they suck at their job.

Yet another unnecessary perk we given officers... the golden parachutes so there is far less consequence for failure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Musings (For the first time in 2016! ... Call all the Lifestylers!!! Someone let Dr. Blondie know!):

This one ain't going to make all the UNI Wand Wavers happy, but it IS reality. Recently, UNI has been surveying a select group of customers with the entire topic being MAGIC bands and MM+ at WDW. Now, we can all pretend they are curious as to what people like or dislike about being "part of the band" or we can look at this for what it is: UNI's great braintrust is considering implementing a similar system.

They are. Because when you are Disney you can do things that are as ridiculous as the spend on NGE and because of your size and share of the market, others (especially the No. 2) will pay attention to what you are doing.

UNI is very interested, btw, in whether you'd pay for the bands.

Not to be outdone, but WDW has been surveying APers for different reasons. Apparently, they have been hit hard by people not renewing APs following the recent restructuring of the program (with requisite insane price increases) and they want to know why. Possible responses even include honest reasons like "Disney costs too much" and "Disney is greedy" and "Not enough benefits" and "Not enough new things to see" ... not sure what the end game is, but this survey I did respond to. Yeah, I think the servers burned up with my answers.

Well, Flamingo Crossing Phase I is completed ... only nine years or so later ... and if you believe two of Marriott's budget suite brands to be of import then you are so happy for the genius of Bob Iger. I don't. And I am not.

Still waiting for the O-Sentinel or OBJ or O-Town TV, or even this site to report that the Buena Vista Palace was purchased by Hilton last fall and that Hilton is in the midst of a huge renovation and connecting of the resort to the existing Hilton at DD by that wonderful Disney constructed pedestrian bridge. In effect, Hilton will own the entrance to the new Disney Springs and with its Bonnet Creek resorts be the No. 2 hotel company (behind Disney) on property.

Saw The Hateful Eight. Liked it more than Star Wars. Not quite sure it was as good as The Peanuts Movie, though.

Speaking of films, the new live action version of The Jungle Book doesn't look good. It looks really, really good.

With the delay of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters (is that the name?), I'm starting to wonder whether Disney will hold off and have a large media blogger whorefest to make a big summer deal of that opening, the new Soarin film and the Frozen musical because summer is when all those DL Star Wars construction closings are going to hit and hit hard.

I know there has been reporting about the new restructuring of what amounts to middle management at the WDW theme parks. From what I have been told, the idea is a solid one, but that the implementation as well as the manpower simply isn't there to make it successful. I am not sure, but here's the new MK management structure under MK VP (and future WDW king) Danny 'Lee's Boy' Cockerell:

These are the new roles with the individual's history with WDW and former position listed:

Frontierland GM, Steve Schreiber 15+

GM All Star Resorts;

GM Main Street and Arrivals, Tim Sypko 20+

GM MK Park Operations;

Entertainment GM, Rachel Quinn 15+

GM MK Entertainment;

Engineering GM, Don Weschler 30+

Dir MK Engineering Services;

Adventureland Liberty Square GM, Ann Williams 35+

GM Studios F&B;

Fantasyland GM, Donald Brannon 20+

GM MK Merchandise;

Tomorrowland GM, Debbie Hart 20+

Dir Experience Services and Guest Communications.

I can't really comment on these individuals as most of them I have never crossed paths with. If any of you have experience with anyone here, please feel free to offer comments.

So, the EPCOT Spring Food and Wine Fest is running for three entire months (March, April, May). Not shocked. Are they offering a free day for the local blogging whores to come in and eat and drink for free?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Still waiting for the O-Sentinel or OBJ or O-Town TV, or even this site to report that the Buena Vista Palace was purchased by Hilton last fall and that Hilton is in the midst of a huge renovation

This hasn't been reported on? I assumed it was old news.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Extra Musings: (You don't have to pay for them)

I don't have any comments on the following (beyond the fact that DIS was selling for $120 per share last summer. It was $90 when I last checked, so clearly The Force Awakens was a savior for TWDC's issue with ESPN cord-cutters, right?)
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-walt-disney-results-idUSKCN0VI24S

I have heard really great things about the new spring only stage show that opened this weekend at DLP. It would also seem that their Spring Festival is getting bigger and better. ... But, hey, at least WDW's Spring Food Fest will include topiaries of Unca Donald's nephews.

Do all these Twits who pontificate about SDL and its pricing structure and attraction menu have a clue about the resort, what is going on over there or China in general? No, of course they do not.

For all those whiners complaining because the Disney Fantasy couldn't call on Castaway Cay due to engine issues last weekend, be happy you weren't on RCCL's Anthem of the Seas this weekend. The song "There's Got To be a Morning After" was playing in my head when I saw some of that video.

How many more weeks before the Southland experiences Potter Mania for the first time?

Do I care about Captain America: Civil War? Much less than Superman vs Batman: Dawn of Justice ... and I am not exactly counting days down until that one.

So, how long did it take for WDW to put a burger back on the menu at Pecos Bill's because Jesus forbid the rubes have to walk to a different land for a plain burger? Just wait, soon the free guac will go ... and then most of the menu.

Mike S

This one ain't going to make all the UNI Wand Wavers happy, but it IS reality. Recently, UNI has been surveying a select group of customers with the entire topic being MAGIC bands and MM+ at WDW. Now, we can all pretend they are curious as to what people like or dislike about being "part of the band" or we can look at this for what it is: UNI's great braintrust is considering implementing a similar system.

They are. Because when you are Disney you can do things that are as ridiculous as the spend on NGE and because of your size and share of the market, others (especially the No. 2) will pay attention to what you are doing.

UNI is very interested, btw, in whether you'd pay for the bands.
Damn. What are the chances they somehow do it smarter?

Not to be outdone, but WDW has been surveying APers for different reasons. Apparently, they have been hit hard by people not renewing APs following the recent restructuring of the program (with requisite insane price increases) and they want to know why. Possible responses even include honest reasons like "Disney costs too much" and "Disney is greedy" and "Not enough benefits" and "Not enough new things to see" ... not sure what the end game is, but this survey I did respond to. Yeah, I think the servers burned up with my answers.
Hopefully it gives them a clue.

Speaking of films, the new live action version of The Jungle Book doesn't look good. It looks really, really good.
I know right?!?!?! :D

With the delay of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters (is that the name?), I'm starting to wonder whether Disney will hold off and have a large media blogger whorefest to make a big summer deal of that opening, the new Soarin film and the Frozen musical because summer is when all those DL Star Wars construction closings are going to hit and hit hard.
Sounds like hell.

ParentsOf4

1st quarter financial results are in and there's great news for DLR and WDW fans.

Domestic Parks & Resort capital expenditures jumped upward from $239M in 1Q2015 to $627M in 1Q2016. With depreciation at $318M, real money is being spent domestically. :)

Disney previously reported that domestic capex was going to be up $800M for the year and it looks like they are wasting no time in spending it.

BrianLo

In effect, Hilton will own the entrance to the new Disney Springs and with its Bonnet Creek resorts be the No. 2 hotel company (behind Disney) on property.

Can't begin to quote room numbers, but wouldn't Marriott basically hold this distinction as they are acquiring Swan/Dolphin with the Starwood merger? At the very least it's a tight race for #2.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Can't begin to quote room numbers, but wouldn't Marriott basically hold this distinction as they are acquiring Swan/Dolphin with the Starwood merger? At the very least it's a tight race for #2.

Hilton also has a third property at Disney Springs, the DoubleTree Guest Suites. So that is 5 significant Hilton hotels on Disney property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom