Celebrating 15 years of California Adventure

FigmentForver96

I figured that. You had to have been there during DCA's very early years to understand why no one liked it.
I missed the beginning but God I was there to see Sun Plaza. It was the most soulless place ever in any Disney park. I remember really loving Grizzly Peak. I know we spent a couple hours just walking around and soaking in the nature. Then you headed out to Paradise Pier and saw that giant orange and...

Phroobar

I remember going in the early days and ordering a wrap sandwich. This was somewhere in the farm area. They took our order and then spent 15 minutes making them. The food was done and we spent another 10 looking at it sitting on the counter waiting for the silly cast member to hand it to us. She didn't seem to understand that she needed to hand it to us. Food and the service was terrible back then. Granted they were still learning but it looked like complete chaos in the booth.

westie

This is the souvenir map of DCA that they handed out at the DCA hotel on opening day-
IMG_0275.JPG

Curious Constance

DCA needs more family rides. Not on the level of a Bugs Land either. I'm talking good, quality attractions the whole family can enjoy together. My husband hates thrill rides, and he doesn't care much for DCA because there isn't much for him to do that's actually fun. He doesn't care about any of the Paradise Pier attractions other than Toy Story and Mermaid, he likes Soarin, Monster Inc, Animation Academy, and that's about it!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It's not a question of limited money so much as it is about limited guest enthusiasm for compounding anniversary dates and signage space. Of the two anniversaries, the 60th was definitely the most important and the most profitable, so Disney wisely chose not to put too much peanut butter in the chocolate.

In that case, DCA would never receive an anniversary celebration, as Disneyland guests aren't crazy about the park.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
They will be by the 20th.

My point was it's really not about what the fans want. We wanted a 55th and pretty much got nothing.

Five years won't change much. DCA's problem is its location. If it didn't sit across from Disneyland, the original magic kingdom, the "one and only," I believe it would be more popular. DCA will never earn the same respect and love Disneyland receives from its fans. DCA 2.0 has pretty much proven that. The park received at least one billion dollars worth of new additions, and the crowds are still ridiculously uneven.

dweezil78

DCA needs more family rides. Not on the level of a Bugs Land either. I'm talking good, quality attractions the whole family can enjoy together. My husband hates thrill rides, and he doesn't care much for DCA because there isn't much for him to do that's actually fun. He doesn't care about any of the Paradise Pier attractions other than Toy Story and Mermaid, he likes Soarin, Monster Inc, Animation Academy, and that's about it!

100% agree. There are thrill rides and kiddie rides at DCA -- very few "family" rides with depth that everyone can enjoy (and last more than 1 minute) evenly on the level of Small World, Pirates, HM, Fantasyland dark rides, etc. We're pretty much limited to Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc. for those at DCA and well, you know how that goes. :)

lazyboy97o

My point was it's really not about what the fans want. We wanted a 55th and pretty much got nothing.

Five years won't change much. DCA's problem is its location. If it didn't sit across from Disneyland, the original magic kingdom, the "one and only," I believe it would be more popular. DCA will never earn the same respect and love Disneyland receives from its fans. DCA 2.0 has pretty much proven that. The park received at least one billion dollars worth of new additions, and the crowds are still ridiculously uneven.
I think that is more the lack of any single vision for the park. $1 billion in glitz and glitter isn't what creates a lasting emotional experience. The park still lacks a heart and its vision is not much more than an expensive amusement park of franchises.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

The biggest issue with DCA is the lack of E tickets. Some of the ones that are there can be pretty meh by Disney standards and lack that Disney magic. I'm looking at you, Grizzly River and Screamin'! Okay, RSR, TOT and Soarin' are good. But what else is there? There certainly isn't a Superstar Limo!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think that is more the lack of any sing glue vision for the park. $1 billion in glitz and glitter isn't what creates a lasting emotional experience. The park still lacks a heart and its vision is not much more than an expensive amusement park of franchises.

Agreed. There's no emotional attachment for a lot of people. I can speak for myself, I'm not emotionally attached to DCA. If Disney were to announce DCA's closing, I'd be a little sad but it wouldn't break my heart or anything.

I also agree the park has no heart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom