The Spirited 11th Hour ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'll ask you the same thing I asked someone else. Have you ever actually DONE the attraction?
No need. You taught us how to truly experience the parks. Im just gonna use my imagination and pretend im riding Phantom Manor. Im doing it right now! Wait, now Im in Shanghai riding Tron Coaster. Where do I pay my make believe $100 for all these amazing experiences?

In all seriousness, I have not done it. I have watched Youtube videos of it and decided it was not worth burning a FP+ on. The AA's and magic mirror thing look cool, but thats it. I completely understand that the cardboard cut outs is a small part, but it seriously looks like they started to build an attraction but ran out of money and decided to send an imagineer to the store for some poster board and paint stirring sticks and then turned it into a M&G. This is the Don Cheadle of attractions. It plays a role, but its nothing to get exited about.

Mike S

And I'd counter that argument and suggest that there's no such thing as an E-ticket dark ride. As a matter of fact, dark rides are just about as common and unoriginal as you can possibly get in a Disney park. Enchanted Tales is at least unique.
I've read a definition once that a dark ride is pretty much any ride that's entirely indoors and has to use its own lighting. So, yes. Dark rides can be E Tickets.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That's all I'm saying. There's a pretty wide gap between "greatest attraction ever built" and "utter crap." Folks here seem to be arguing that, just because it isn't the greatest attraction ever built, it must be utter crap, as if there are no other options.
I can understand that to an extent. But for me personally, it just looks like it starts off very very strong then fizzles into a dud of a story telling with silly props that seem to be nothing more than a way to make the guest feel involved. It seems extremely anticlimactic. From a very young kids POV, im sure its great though.

The set up is very similar to HM in a way. A pre show with some effects, you move into a different area, then the finale. In thiscase, the finale is not an actual ride, which is where I think people feel ripped. If a guest in line had no clue as to what to expect, I bet they are thinking there is a cool dark ride after you walk in the room with Ms Potts, then the doors open and a story begins. At this point they are hoping there is still a ride after that really impressive build up. The story continues, the kids hug Belle and then thats it. The guest realizes there is no ride and feels let down. Just a hypothetical.

doctornick

I can understand that to an extent. But for me personally, it just looks like it starts off very very strong then fizzles into a dud of a story telling with silly props that seem to be nothing more than a way to make the guest feel involved. It seems extremely anticlimactic. From a very young kids POV, im sure its great though.

The set up is very similar to HM in a way. A pre show with some effects, you move into a different area, then the finale. In thiscase, the finale is not an actual ride, which is where I think people feel ripped. If a guest in line had no clue as to what to expect, I bet they are thinking there is a cool dark ride after you walk in the room with Ms Potts, then the doors open and a story begins. At this point they are hoping there is still a ride after that really impressive build up. The story continues, the kids hug Belle and then thats it. The guest realizes there is no ride and feels let down. Just a hypothetical.

Or the people get in line thinking this is a M&G with Belle and they expect to wait for a while, walk into a room, get a photo with her and move on. Instead, they are blown away by an experience that is interactive and has high quality show pieces.

What do you think is more impressive: Enchanted Tales with Belle or Princess Fairytale Hall?

Last edited:

Mike S

Or the people get in line thinking this is a M&G with Belle and they expect to wait for a while, walk into a room, get a photo with her and move on. Instead, they are blown away by an experience that is interactive and has high quality show pieces.

What do you think is more impressive: Storytime with Belle or Princess Fairytale Hall?
Storytime with Belle was the old one in an outside garden or whatever it was.

dupac

Let's be honest. It is not the cut-outs that are irritating some; that is just an excuse. It is that Disney did not give them exactly what they wanted, which was an e-ticket dark ride. Really, if people want to be mad about something in NFL, I would say the little mermaid attraction is a better option as they seem to have missed the mark on this one as far as dark rides go.

Not to wade into these waters but....

I think this is a very accurate post. A more elaborate LM (with an actual Ursula AA climax anyone?), a longer 7DMT, or a 3rd traditional attraction like the previous two, and people probably wouldn't be complaining about Enchanted Tales. Well, complaining as much, anyway.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not to wade into these waters but....

I think this is a very accurate post. A more elaborate LM (with an actual Ursula AA climax anyone?), a longer 7DMT, or a 3rd traditional attraction like the previous two, and people probably wouldn't be complaining about Enchanted Tales. Well, complaining as much, anyway.

Agree, A FULLY realized LM, (where the ride matches the queue) , ORIGINAL 7DMT (which got as far as engineering drawings and BOM, Before the TDO budget cutters slashed it) and another traditional ride and NFL would have been amazing. It's not that there is anything WRONG with ETwB but it's more an overall "is this the BEST WDW can do feeling with NFL overall"

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

What do you think is more impressive: Enchanted Tales with Belle or Princess Fairytale Hall?
Havent done, nor wish to do either, so I honestly have no clue. I was lucky enough to experience WDW when characters were not used as stop gaps to fool people into thinking that meeting one is an attraction in and of itself.

Goofyernmost

Agree, A FULLY realized LM, (where the ride matches the queue) , ORIGINAL 7DMT (which got as far as engineering drawings and BOM, Before the TDO budget cutters slashed it) and another traditional ride and NFL would have been amazing. It's not that there is anything WRONG with ETwB but it's more an overall "is this the BEST WDW can do feeling with NFL overall"
Why? You spend more time in the queue then on the ride. Shouldn't it be better? :cautious:;)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Sure, thats extremely possible. Probably happens often. All the more reason to get rid of the cardboard cut outs. Why risk having a guest leave and think about how great it was, but how cheap that one particular part was? If it was uber expensive to make a change, I would understand. But it isnt. Just make something slightly more creative than what a high school drama club would use. Its the fly buzzing around in a symphony hall. You enjoy the music, but the sight of a fly buzzing around is hard to ignore.

ParkMan73

Myself, I just keep coming back to the same thought. The root problem here is poor expense control in the Imagineering teams. If the things they built could come in at half the cost, then I imagine you'd not just see fewer cardboard effects. But, their budgets get so large, they start looking for things to cut and you get sub-par results.

Imagine if their projects were not just great, but also much less expensive. I expect we'd see a much different NFL today.

Fox&Hound

Could the rumored Beauty and the Beast dark ride, that may be coming to Disneyland, possibly one day evict Enchanted Tales? It seems like they could potentially have the space. And it would definitely enhance the overall experience of NFL.

I hear the argument of a more extensive ride, but, let's pretend they were going to build something: what would they build that would not be repetitive of Be our Guest, Gaston's, or even the Belle queue???? I feel like they really captured some of the best parts of the movie. Wouldn't a ride, say a carriage ride through the woods and into the castle, repeat a lot of Be Our Guest? Or would it just be a haunted mansion type ride where guests see random servant objects interacting with guests? Not knocking it, just not sure how they would build something not already represented. Thoughts? Ideas? All in fun of course :)

Mike S

I hear the argument of a more extensive ride, but, let's pretend they were going to build something: what would they build that would not be repetitive of Be our Guest, Gaston's, or even the Belle queue???? I feel like they really captured some of the best parts of the movie. Wouldn't a ride, say a carriage ride through the woods and into the castle, repeat a lot of Be Our Guest? Or would it just be a haunted mansion type ride where guests see random servant objects interacting with guests? Not knocking it, just not sure how they would build something not already represented. Thoughts? Ideas? All in fun of course :)
Same way it works in Cars Land. It just does if you don't overthink it.

FigmentJedi

That's why I suggested just building the Beauty and the Beast Tiki Room show proposed for Paris
beautyandthebeastride1.jpeg

2e9a04df480fb6539a8c95253c3d448c.jpg

GrammieBee

I guess I'm more stupid than you. I said to myself I wouldn't reply, but I am.

First: It must be, at least partially a generational thing. I was a child of the great depression. We were grateful to have food on the table and a home in which to live. We appreciated whatever we had and anything extra was obtained by lots of hard work. If I had to guess, our children are probably older than you

Second: I was being facetious about a thrill ride in Liberty Square. If you noticed, it was an aside. If they did have one, it should probably be triple out and back racing coasters named Pro,Con and Undecided, (Again, I'm not serious.)

Third: All of our family--adults young adults,teens and children have always enjoyed what was offered in Fantasyland without the need for more than what was there. And this is a family that would drive hundreds of miles to ride on the newest rollercoaster
Fourth:: The comment about Alien Encounter was because someone had posted that children read or were read to thrilling and horrifying fairy tales, so they shouldn't be bothered by the same type of ride. Alien Encounter was a great attraction, but it didn't last because people complained it was not "Disney" and was too terrifying.

Fifth:: My area of expertise.and a long working career is in Psychology. Even if you may not like it, I call it as I see it. I certainly seem to have hit a nerve to tigger your long response in shredding my two generalized posts.

Sixth: and final:I should have finished what I was thinking when I said "but it isnt." I was being polite. The terms "suck it up" and "deal with it" come to mind. What do you want them to do? Dig it up and put in a new faster and longer ride so you can be happy?

I do understand your point of view. I just don't happen to agree with it. Unfortunately, you and those who agree with you will probably never understand my point of view. Oh, well, that's just the way it is and what makes the world go round.. I'm finished with the matter.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom