Cameras and Universal Studios, worth it?

sporadic

Original Poster
Our family decided to switch it up this year and visit Universal Studios. I've been once for an after hours event many years ago (pre-potter), but this will be our first vacation to the park as a family. I've seen some grumblings in threads that lead to me believe toting a camera around Universal may be more hassle than its worth. From what I've gathered, cameras must be stored in lockers for all the rides? Is the park very photogenic compared to Disney? I've captured great memories of the kids over the years at the Disney parks, but carrying a camera around Universal just doesn't sound like fun. I'd love to hear from some of you that visit both parks and your opinions. Thanks!

As a side note, we've been putting this trip off for a couple of years now. We've been wanting to go, but always swing back to Disney when it comes time to book. Hoping some dust will have settled in DHS (or whatever it'll be named then) in 2017, cause we plan on coming back!

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

UOR is very photogenic. Parts are jaw dropping gorgeous. And the lockers for all the rides that require them are free and are located by the entrance to the rides. You will regret not bringing a camera the second you walk in Diagon Alley.

Clamman73

I was finding you could get tons of shots just in Diagon Alley alone, both outside and inside the shops. And catching a good shot of the dragon breathing fire is worth bringing the camera.

NowInc

I didn't have any issues bringing my D750 to universal a couple of weeks ago, However I did NOT have a tripod with me. I have known many to bring tripods there without any issues...BUT keep in mind you will only be able to linger around after closing at MOST for a half hour before they boot you out. The bigger issue is those damn lockers. You can't bring a camera/bag on 90% of the rides and they force you to use their lockers..of which I REALLLY dont trust (I saw a few with the doors ripped off when I was last there).

Is it worth going with a camera? Absolutely!! The Harry Potter stuff is jaw dropping in themeing, for that reason alone I would bring it. This was from two weeks ago:

Hogsmeade by Dan Karanikis, on Flickr

sporadic

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I don't bring tripods (aside from my Ultrapod) and we're usually heading out around closing time. I'll keep the kit light and use a smaller bag for the lockers. Will probably do my X-T1, 35/1.4, 10-24 and toss in a small flash. Any tips on meet and greets in comparison to Disney? We'll be down at the beginning of crazy season (first of June).

s8film40

It's probably worth noting in case you aren't aware one of the big differences between Disney and Universal is Universal is very strict about no cameras on rides. This isn't just thrill rides, buy just about everything even more tame rides like Twirl & Hurl or the Dr. Suess Trolley

Juneau Biscuits

As @fractal mentioned earlier, the guard admonished me in Diagon Alley. After that happened, I left the area and headed to the front of the park. I took photos with my tripod for another good 45 minutes and no one approached me about my gear. I agree with @NowInc, bringing a camera to Universal is highly recommended!

maxairmike

Universal's security are really spotty and vary encounter to encounter on how they treat photographers. I've had many nights where they may be a little overbearing without saying anything making sure its obvious that the park is closed, stop taking pictures and leave. Other nights they'll just flat out say "Get moving, you're done." I have yet to have any give me grief about my gear in the parks, but in CityWalk I've yet to be able to shoot anything on the main side (every time I get set up, a guard approaches me and tells me tripods aren't allowed anywhere at the resort. I just roll my eyes, pack up, and try again another night.). Definitely bring your camera, and even your tripod if you want (I use a MeFoto Globetrotter and it fits in the ride lockers packed up inside its bag), just be aware your experience with security is likely to be about 50/50 on the chance they won't like it.

NowInc

I don't even bother trying to bring a tripod, as it seems with their sweeping policy Its not worth carrying all day. HOWEVER, there are a few great places you can rest your camera to take long exposures. Maybe when I'm back there next week I'll mark a few on a map to post here.

thomas998

Thanks everyone! I don't bring tripods (aside from my Ultrapod) and we're usually heading out around closing time. I'll keep the kit light and use a smaller bag for the lockers. Will probably do my X-T1, 35/1.4, 10-24 and toss in a small flash. Any tips on meet and greets in comparison to Disney? We'll be down at the beginning of crazy season (first of June).

One thing to note is that the lockers on rides that require it are free... But not all rides have lockers that are free if they don't require it... So on a wet ride you will need a way to keep your camera dry unless you want to rent a locker. I think the last time we went the ride that was like I described is was Jurassic Park which will get you very wet so you be warned you need someway to keep your camera dry unless you want to pay for a locker on that one.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the lockers are on the small side and while I had no issue with cramming my camera bag in one we did have a problem trying to get the Harry Potter wand in there without crushing the box.... So a tripod might be a problem as would a very large beach bag or anything that isn't easily scrunched.

As for meet and greets there were some that had lines, like the Simpsons... but with others you would find someone just wandering around with maybe 1 or 2 people waiting... Those were a welcome relief from the normal Disney way of massive lines for any meet and greet.

If it is your first trip I hope you are staying in one of Universal's hotels because then you can enter the park early and if you want to do Harry Potter world it is critical you get there early because the lines and crowds can be insane. I remember last time a line just to get into a candy shop in Potter world was about a 45 minute wait... So when you go hit Potter world first... Other thing to consider is get a front of the line pass - the Universal version of a fastpass, it will save you a lot of time in the Summer... But know that it doesn't work on all rides and there are two versions one will only let you hit a ride one time the other will let you hit the same ride multiple times.

s8film40

My general rule at theme parks in trying to avoid issues with security and this applies at other places as well is I just try not to look professional. This comes from my experience in film classes. As a student it was sometimes easier to just go somewhere and shoot inconspicuously without permission than to go through a complicated process.

Jahona

I ended up ditching my DSLR my last trip to Universal and just used my cell phone. I've found Universal to not be very friendly towards larger cameras. The common areas are about the only part of the experience you can actually photograph. Most rides photography and video in general are prohibited. The Harry Potter areas and much of IOA have a lot of great spots to photograph the environment if you focus on that aspect and avoid the rides. There are a lot of more experienced park photographers in this thread than me but this was just my limited observation and experience.

thomas998

I ended up ditching my DSLR my last trip to Universal and just used my cell phone. I've found Universal to not be very friendly towards larger cameras. The common areas are about the only part of the experience you can actually photograph. Most rides photography and video in general are prohibited. The Harry Potter areas and much of IOA have a lot of great spots to photograph the environment if you focus on that aspect and avoid the rides. There are a lot of more experienced park photographers in this thread than me but this was just my limited observation and experience.
Very true. I used a small mirrorless camera I could just stick in my cargo pants when I needed to, because they seemed to frown on taking photos in lots of the queues as you were supposed to have already stowed your camera before you got into the queue. If you have a camera that will fit in your pocket it is probably the best option if you want photos of the queues.

gsrjedi

When I visited I got all the way through the Gringott's line (taking pictures the entire time) and right before you get in the elevator was the first time someone told me I couldn't have my camera bag. I have a mirrorless camera, so I left the camera bag with my mom and put the camera in my pocket. Ended up doing the same for Forbidden Journey. Didn't have any issues on any other rides and we ended up leaving before the parks closed.

NowInc

They do offer bank tours at Gringotts as well as castle tours at Forbidden Journey, you can ask specifically for that if you want to just take photos. There's no wait you can take your time and enjoy the queue. Then go back and ride the ride as normal.

Bank tour is WELL worth asking for. You can also do this at Men In Black.

sporadic

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone, appreciate it!! We're staying at the Royal Pacific, so plan on taking advantage of the early hours and express passes. I wasn't aware of the tours, we'll have to ask for that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom