2016 Lawsuits against Disney

WDWVolFan

People really like to sue for nothing...the worst part is that there are scumbag lawyers who will take on cases like this.
So the dude was waiting for his room to be ready, probably did not have his car locked and got broken into...give me a break bro!

Cesar R M

some of these are absolutely stupid o_o
do People really sue like that?
the curb one for example.. "failed to see it due to crowds"...
or "fell when trying to get in" reminds me of these scams of "I slipped inside your store and hurt myself, better pay me asap!"

rct247

Of all of them, the PeopleMover one sounds the most legit. The thing is though that at full speed, the "crash" would be 7mph, which is the same that people "crash" into other cars at the Speedway or any other go kart/bumper cars ride. The PeopleMover bumps more often than people think. More lawsuits or ride issues will surely lead to its closure.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I bet these attorneys keep these complaints on file and just change the names as each one comes in.

Speaking of lawyers, was sitting on the bike at the gym doing my 30 minutes of cardio after my training session, staring out the front window and a city bus drives by with a big ad on the side for our favorite Florida law firm... Morgan and Morgan. For the People

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Speaking of lawyers, was sitting on the bike at the gym doing my 30 minutes of cardio after my training session, staring out the front window and a city bus drives by with a big ad on the side for our favorite Florida law firm... Morgan and Morgan. For the People

If you were on the treadmill and were distracted by the ad which forced you to fall, you may have a case against M&M. They might even take the case.

rob0519

People really like to sue for nothing...the worst part is that there are scumbag lawyers who will take on cases like this.
So the dude was waiting for his room to be ready, probably did not have his car locked and got broken into...give me a break bro!

There are always lawyers willing to take on a big name company, but I have a different, but related question. Disney has a well kept database of their guests who stay on property. If you sue Disney over something like tripping on a curb, or a bolt in a parking lot or accuse them of not caring for your $84k worth of stuff in your car, is it possible that lawsuit winds up in the database and has some effect on future attempts to stay on property?

BigThunderMatt

There are always lawyers willing to take on a big name company, but I have a different, but related question. Disney has a well kept database of their guests who stay on property. If you sue Disney over something like tripping on a curb, or a bolt in a parking lot or accuse them of not caring for your $84k worth of stuff in your car, is it possible that lawsuit winds up in the database and has some effect on future attempts to stay on property?

I doubt one lawsuit would cause a property ban. More likely the outcome not generally being in the favor of the guest will discourage them from ever going back to Disney. It often takes a pattern of offenses to cause a property ban, and sometimes not even then.

shipley731

Mmmm, interesting concept. "Morgan and Morgan For the People, We will even sue ourselves to protect your rights!"
I wouldn't put it past Morgan & Morgan to do that. Saw a few days ago that they were taking on Monster Energy drinks.
http://www.wesh.com/news/alleging-s...wsuits-against-monster-beverage-corp/37882406
I especially like the last line of the article "Morgan & Morgan encourages individuals who have consumed Monster beverages or similar energy drinks to visit energydrinkslawsuit.com."

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I doubt one lawsuit would cause a property ban. More likely the outcome not generally being in the favor of the guest will discourage them from ever going back to Disney. It often takes a pattern of offenses to cause a property ban, and sometimes not even then.

Its my understanding that they are tracked in an effort to identify shakedown artists and the like.

marissieviolissie

some of these are absolutely stupid o_o
do People really sue like that?
the curb one for example.. "failed to see it due to crowds"...

I know, right? As I wrote I fell with a nasty injury following but hello. I was the one not watching my step. It's not as if a CM purposely shoved me to entertain the crowds.
Of course as a joke I said: I'm suing Disney!
(like I did when Pluto hit me in the face by accident) because I knew there'd be people who do that.
It never crossed my mind as an actual thing I'd do. Can't believe some really do.

When I read all of the sufferings some people (lawyers) claim I feel like I'm reading a case of someone who has PTSD over tripping or falling. While I can laugh about it, I find it quite offensive towards real PTSD sufferers from real traumas.

Picture two people where there's a supportgroup and one survived a planecrash and the other says:" yeah yeah. But I tripped over a bolt at a parkinglot at Disney where you never expected this to happen. In a plane you know you can crash so it's a risk that you take. Whereas at Disney you expect things like this can never occur."

That's what these lawsuits to me sort of represent with their alleged continuous suffering. Some may be legit issues such as pain for the rest of your life. But still, most of these just go on and on and make even the suer look a little ridiculous.

Goofyernmost

I know, right? As I wrote I fell with a nasty injury following but hello. I was the one not watching my step. It's not as if a CM purposely shoved me to entertain the crowds.
Of course as a joke I said: I'm suing Disney!
(like I did when Pluto hit me in the face by accident) because I knew there'd be people who do that.
It never crossed my mind as an actual thing I'd do. Can't believe some really do.

When I read all of the sufferings some people (lawyers) claim I feel like I'm reading a case of someone who has PTSD over tripping or falling. While I can laugh about it, I find it quite offensive towards real PTSD sufferers from real traumas.

Picture two people where there's a supportgroup and one survived a planecrash and the other says:" yeah yeah. But I tripped over a bolt at a parkinglot at Disney where you never expected this to happen. In a plane you know you can crash so it's a risk that you take. Whereas at Disney you expect things like this can never occur."

That's what these lawsuits to me sort of represent with their alleged continuous suffering. Some may be legit issues such as pain for the rest of your life. But still, most of these just go on and on and make even the suer look a little ridiculous.
I am never surprised at what the public will say to see if they can get their pockets filled with money even if it can easily be chalked up to clumsy, careless or otherwise preoccupied. I had an accident eight years ago that I still have the residual damage from. The damage includes periodic pain, and a minor disability that I was paid a comparatively small sum considering it was permanent. I might add that I did not request it or even think about it. They told me based on the evaluation and basically asked me to sign off on it. Once aware that they were offering this, I tried to get an honest opinion from my Doctor about whether or not that was a proper amount. I mean, what the heck did I know about the value of a 10% disability. Later I came to realize that perhaps the way I worded it to the Doctor he might have been concerned that I was going to deal with a malpractice against him and pretty much gave me an answer so vague that I didn't know anymore after I left then before I went in.

Now in a lot of peoples books that means that I should have been able to capitalize on the situation. Sometimes even I think that I was a chump in this scenario. What happened was that I was walking down a long staircase with my hands full. When I got to what I thought was the bottom step I lengthened my stride expecting to be coming in contact with the floor. Instead I had one more step to go and my heal caught the edge of the last step and threw me completely off balance. I landed on a concrete floor on my right knee. When it hit, I actually heard something pop. Amazingly I didn't even so much as crack a bone, however, my kneecap dislocated and in the process of moving upward completely severed my quad muscle. That, of course, required surgery to repair. At some point in that process the nerve endings in my leg were damaged leaving me with a situation where some of the movement of my leg, usually automatically dealt with via signals to the brain, no longer were working. In short it wasn't sending the message to my brain to flex the required muscles to prevent my leg from just popping forward as I went down stairs or hilly declining landscape.

I felt responsible because contrary to my usual common sense I was traversing down a staircase with my arms and hands full and also impairing some of my vision below my feet. Because of that I missed seeing the step. However, different insight happened when it was pointed out that the stairs and the floor were painted with exactly the same color so one thing blended into the other with no huge distinguishing features, thus with my limited vision and distortion I really did think I was clear of the stairs.

So all of the to say... when I see people screwing over others simply because they were careless or even stupid it makes me upset. It ultimately cost all of us when someone gets something for nothing. Someone pays for that and believe me it is passed along to us. When people complain about what Disney charges for us to enjoy the parks, etc. do we ever remember things like how much it cost them to deal with all the "hands out" people. Their legal fees alone must be enough to blow one's mind.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom