ICS Weekends: Disney Debates

TheOriginalTiki

Just to get the ball rolling...

I'll take point by point why you shouldn't be excited by the other choices...

Batman v. Superman: I'm as excited about Batfleck as anyone else, but I can already see the writing on the wall for this movie and it unfortunately comes down to director. Warner Brothers has tapped Zack Snyder to do a number of their comic book adaptations, and at this point the man has proven that while his films look beautiful and can certainly adapt the source material well, standing on their own as cinenamtic acheivments certainly comes as a mixed bag in old Snyde's filmography.

This film is coming off Man of Steel which split the fan base practically in half. We've on the game director, so I'm yet to be convinced this movie will be better than "average". If someone like Affleck or David Fincher were directing I'd be way more stoked for it, but Snyder's "Style over substance" is wearing thin for me. This is why I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad so much more. It looks like a way more unique comic book movie than what we've been getting lately from either Marvel or DC (Since nobody picked it I'm free to use Suicide Squad as a back up argument...I guess...It's fair game :p )

Marvel...don't get me started. Age of Ultron practically isn't a film so much as it is a blur of sneak previews for phase three with a very loose plot line connecting it all. I see the trailer for Civil War and I get the exact same feel. A lot of globe trotting, even more new characters and plot lines to keep track of, and the usual sarcastic wit of these characters interacting off each other which at this point I think needs to take a back seat. They're thinking about putting 56-odd characters into Infinity War. FIFETY-SIX! This is getting a bit out of hand...

Strange is the hardest to argue against, as I am way more into the experimental side of Marvel than I am the Avengers side. There's a lot of risks with this movie though that might not pay off. The director has done two horror movies (Sinister 1 and 2) which the first one had a great atmosphere to it but kind of fell apart in the third act, while the second one...was one of the worst reviewed films of 2015...

Cumberbach didn't blow me out of the park in Star Trek for me. As a matter of fact Into Darkness kind of serves as a grim reminder of the things I find disappointing in The Force Awakens. While I'm sure he'll do a great job as Strange, I don't think Into Darkness is a good source to cite in anything :p
I'll admit I am genuinely excited for the film though. The same can't be said about Civil War and Batman V. Superman which both feel like familiar retreads of material we've already been getting for years.

Strange will be an interesting experiment in injecting horror into the MCU, but Deadpool is the passion project of the bunch that has been worked on as a labor of love for seven years. I think it's clear who the real choice is!

Deadpool-poster-1-600x875.jpg

KingOfEpicocity

Whoever wants to go next for a defense can do so!

I'll start off by talking about Batman vs superman. The flip side of the off the bat argument is I've had not near enough time to bond with these characters. That's what I think is the genius of the marvel films. You see each character developed in their own movie, then they all come together and interact in the big movies. I love how this is done. Rather than cramming millions of new characters into one movie to steal marvels market share. As far as ultron, I honestly loved it. I'm more of a popcorn moviegoer.

As far as strange. I'm actually very excited. I just have no reason to be. But as far as civil war, there's been so much hype.

Lastly dead pool. I don't read comics and honestly I'll go see it and enjoy it. But I'll probably remember civil war.

spacemt354

Chili's
We still got two more people to go! I'll give to tonight to post the defense otherwise we will go to the concluding statements so we don't go on for too long.

spacemt354

Chili's
Since we've had a bit of a lag here over the weekend...and I just watched the Collider Movie Talk review of Deadpool... @TheOriginalTiki wins the first round.

Not only is it actually getting great reviews...but he also gave the most complete argument out of the bunch.

Alright, if you'd like we can move on to the next question:

Worst DCA 1.0 attraction?

Tiki - Boardwalk Games
King - Muholland Madness
Puff - SuperStar Limo
Red you still have to pick one...

Whenever you all are ready!

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Since we've had a bit of a lag here over the weekend...and I just watched the Collider Movie Talk review of Deadpool... @TheOriginalTiki wins the first round.

Not only is it actually getting great reviews...but he also gave the most complete argument out of the bunch.

Alright, if you'd like we can move on to the next question:

Worst DCA 1.0 attraction?

Tiki - Boardwalk Games
King - Muholland Madness
Puff - SuperStar Limo
Red you still have to pick one...

Whenever you all are ready!

I was the one who picked Mulholland Madness, while King had Superstar Limo. Just for clarifications sake.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Mullhoand Madness was by far the worst attraction at DCA 1.0.

dlr64.jpg

Why?

Simply because it because it defied everything that is Disneyland.

Story? None to be spoken of.

Theming? If you don't count a cheesy plastic road map as theming, then no.

Thrills? Just an ordinary wild mouse coaster. Nothing special or thrilling about that.

Now, for a local carnival, this would be fine and relativity enjoyable experience (which is what I think the designers were going for).

But this is Disney, the kings of immersive storytelling attractions. And this is the best they could come up with?

Mullhoand Madness is so bad because it fails on all possible executions inside and out. It is by far the worst attraction that Disney opened at DCA 1.0 and possibly the resort as a whole.

KingOfEpicocity

limo_exterior2001tm.jpg

SUPERSTAR LIMO
why is it the worst attraction at DCA 1.0?

Much like the other opening day rides at DCA, superstar limo suffered from little to no story and very cheap and bad theming. But what made this ride truly terrible? it just the ride. it was the potential.

Superstar limo was originally going to be a fast paced ride where guests would have to dodge the paparazzi, and make your way through Hollywood to your own movie premiere at the Chinese Theater. however, the death of a beloved actress changed these plans. The actress died in a car crash whilst trying to avoid the paparazzi. Due to this, plans changed. The ride was now to be a slow moving tour of Hollywood. Imagineering no longer new what the ride would be about. BUt Eisner insisted the ride be filled with celebrity cameos and industry jokes no guest would ever get. Budget cuts ensued. The budget couldnt allow for real actors to cameo, so the disney partners filled the role cheaply.
limo_whoopigoldberg2001tm.jpg

The result was a clumsy, awkward, boring, and downright weird dark ride that disappointed everyone. A rare Disney flop.

Not only was the ride ugly and cheap looking, it was also the shortest lived DCA attraction. and quite honestly the worst. it had great potential, but failed miserably... like DCA 1.0 as a whole i guess...

And heres a pov, just in case you need reminding how bad it really was...

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Okay, the difference between everyone else's attractions and my "attraction" is that even though I want to stress that Games of the Boardwalk was most certainly listed on park maps and promotional material as a full blown attraction, there is absolutely NOTHING there. It was a sad example of how early DCA filled space with large quantities of...nothing-ness. When Disneyland is right next door do we really want to spend our precious vacation time climbing on a tractor, getting tortillas from Who's Line cast members, and shelling out way too much money to play games that have only the vaguest of themes.

Really though, there's one main reason I picked this that goes back to nostalgia and my dreams of what California Adventure could be being absolutely CRUSHED in front of my eyes. So picture a ten year old Tiki after speculating what the park that is so epic, to quote Voxel on our Who's Line special "it makes Disneyland look like the SHADOWLANDS!!" based off the ad that every child of the 90's had to watch to get to Toy Story 2 on VHS.

This ten year old version of myself is an avid reader of the "Disney Adventures" magazine. I get this in my mailbox one fateful day...
latest

Let's just ignore the Backstreet Boys headline. This magazine was going to take me into the park and show me just how much magic the Imagineers were able to craft. This was going to be the theme park to end all theme parks.

Then I start turning the pages.

Glorified I-Max simulator...meh
A Soap Opera dining experience...for real?
Bountiful Valley Farms...at least the prospect of riding a tractor sounded cool ( ;) :p )
A huge area of the Grizzly Peak is essentially a giant playground...
Paradise Pier is nothing but puke-inducing thrill rides...

So yea...I was underwhelmed. But there one was page left. One singular page to redeem hope for the park. I'd always speculated on what kind of things Disney could do with a Tunnel of Love attraction, and an E ticket on that theme would work wonders with Paradise Pier. Maybe this last page would show an attraction so mindblowing it would make up for the rest of the park being a bit lackluster.

But alas...I saw this. And it literally sent shivers of cold, hard disapointment down my spine....

reboundo_night2009ah.jpg

Oh...WHAT...so it's like basketball...but on...wait for it...SURFBOARDS????

Well congrats Imagineers. You've really outdone yourselves this time. This was the final thing Disney Adventures chose to go out on. For months I would flip through those pages of the DCA cover story before visiting the park for myself...hoping something would spark my interest. But alas it was one underwhelming offering after another, culminating in that fateful final page showing off of all things...cheap carnival games with barely any theme, that you had to pay for.

And that is why Games of the Boardwalk is by far the most hideous black mark on all of DCA 2.0.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Superstar Limo-

While I can't deny that Superstar Limo is one of the absolute worst things to come out of DCA 1.0, at least it had some
(yet cheap) theming.

At Mullohand Madness, all it is is an unthemed roller coaster. It's something you would expect to find at a Six Flags, not a fully-fledged Disney park. Superstar Limo actually had a little Disney touch to it, while Mullhoand Madness did not.

Boardwalk Games-

Boardwalk Games at a Disney park don't fit, but there's one little issue.

The sad truth is that even at Universal, you can find cheap carnival games looking straight from a Six Flags park. Here's a photo for show you what I mean: (This is between Toon Lagoon and Marvel Island)

IMG_9556.jpg

It's not that uncommon to see typical midway games at any theme park, and it's something that while it peeves me, I can expect. Mullhoand Madness was a MASSIVE dissapoint for me when I heard of this, even worse than run-of-the-mill midway games.

TheOriginalTiki

It's true that there's a lot of carnival games in different theme parks...however as far as I'm aware (and please correct me if I'm wrong on this...) DCA is actually the ONLY Disney park to even have them. (If I were to guess I'd say there were some in Chester and Hester's as well, but that's a different story.) The reason why Games of the Boardwalk is such a black mark on original DCA is that it set the precedent for cheap carnival type entertainment within the more high end Disney landscape.

My arguments for why Superstar and Madness are better. Superstar is an original attraction. It's a dark ride using black lights that takes you into a somewhat fantastical environment. We all know what a trainwreck Superstar is, but having said that I think the park actually lost a big chunk in the time between when Superstar closed and Monsters Inc. moved in. Disney parks simply NEED dark rides. As bad as the original Superstar Limo was, it filled a quota in the park that wouldn't get met properly again until Toy Story Mania. For that reason alone while not a perfect attraction or even a good one, it was an essential attraction for the opening day line up.

As for Madness...Reports of the lack of theme on this coaster have been widely exaggerated. The ride has way more theme than a typical Six Flags coaster at any rate. You have a whole "road map" painting as a giant backdrop, and some creative and clever billboards as sight gags. Top that out with a bunch of traffic warning signs sprinkled throughout the track and you've got something that ATTEMPTED to have a theme to it. Is it the best theme? No. But Madness did serve an important function in being a family coaster that kids who were too small or scared to go on Screamin' could enjoy with their parents. Again, while not the best ride it was an essential piece of the original line up.

Also, Goofy's Sky School is essentially the exact same ride except with a theme that has LESS to do with California. In fact I really don't know what flying has to do with a boardwalk at all. But I digress. Both Limo and Madness have reason to exist and quotas and demographic check boxes to fill. Games of the Boardwalk is a soulless cash cow.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

It's true that there's a lot of carnival games in different theme parks...however as far as I'm aware (and please correct me if I'm wrong on this...) DCA is actually the ONLY Disney park to even have them. (If I were to guess I'd say there were some in Chester and Hester's as well, but that's a different story.) The reason why Games of the Boardwalk is such a black mark on original DCA is that it set the precedent for cheap carnival type entertainment within the more high end Disney landscape.

My arguments for why Superstar and Madness are better. Superstar is an original attraction. It's a dark ride using black lights that takes you into a somewhat fantastical environment. We all know what a trainwreck Superstar is, but having said that I think the park actually lost a big chunk in the time between when Superstar closed and Monsters Inc. moved in. Disney parks simply NEED dark rides. As bad as the original Superstar Limo was, it filled a quota in the park that wouldn't get met properly again until Toy Story Mania. For that reason alone while not a perfect attraction or even a good one, it was an essential attraction for the opening day line up.

As for Madness...Reports of the lack of theme on this coaster have been widely exaggerated. The ride has way more theme than a typical Six Flags coaster at any rate. You have a whole "road map" painting as a giant backdrop, and some creative and clever billboards as sight gags. Top that out with a bunch of traffic warning signs sprinkled throughout the track and you've got something that ATTEMPTED to have a theme to it. Is it the best theme? No. But Madness did serve an important function in being a family coaster that kids who were too small or scared to go on Screamin' could enjoy with their parents. Again, while not the best ride it was an essential piece of the original line up.

Also, Goofy's Sky School is essentially the exact same ride except with a theme that has LESS to do with California. In fact I really don't know what flying has to do with a boardwalk at all. But I digress. Both Limo and Madness have reason to exist and quotas and demographic check boxes to fill. Games of the Boardwalk is a soulless cash cow.

Well said Tiki, well said.

Also, there are carnival games at Chester and Hester's.. I even played one of them once (shame on me, right?).

TheOriginalTiki

The worst one I've ever experienced is at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It's right smack in the middle of what SHOULD be the most out of the way and peaceful area of the park. It also totally ruins the DC theme as you transition from Batman/Green Lantern over to Riddler's Revenge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom