Avatar - This is what I'm saying

twebber55

That seems to be the case. When the land was first proposed, we heard about the possibility of a "flex" dining like BoG where it would be quick service for lunch and table service for dinner. Somewhere in the interim they decided to instead have just a quick service within Pandora and put a table service nearby, but on Discovery Island. My guess is that they didn't think the theme was conducive to a proper sit down place in Pandora.
are we sure its just a counter service?

Fantasmicguy

Everyone, sing along with me:

If they build a top notch land with top notch attractions,
It wont matter if the film was ever popular
If they build a half-arsed land with half-arsed attractions,
No IP in the world will matter, it'll suck

Ok, so maybe it didn't rhyme and might make a terrible song. Better not quit my day job.
100 percent true. Do you remember when they put that Narnia attraction in Hollywood Studios. It was garbage. Remember the water ride that had Song of the South Characters?It became one of Disney's greatest attractions!

rioriz

If your point was to create a 3 page thread with recycled opinions that have been tired for years, CONGRATULATIONS, YOU DID IT!

bakntime

Say what you want about the Avatar film(s), the setting of Pandora is a brilliant choice for a "magical" world brought to life. What I like is that you won't even have to have seen the film or be a fan of it in order to enjoy the land. It reminds me of Cars Land in that regard. Despite the not-so-universal appeal of the film Cars, the land itself is so distinctly 1950s with the music and the neon and the architecture, in addition to being so brilliantly southwestern with the size and scope of the rockwork mountain backdrop, that it immediately speaks to a time and place that grabs you. Like so many things, it's a place that no pictures can do justice - you have to see it in person to feel it. Strolling through that place at night when the neon sparks to life and Sh-boom, Sh-boom plays over the speakers is almost universally effective.

If executed properly (and I believe it will be), Pandora should be equally awe-inspiring, and the cultural impact of the films is independent of all that. Gently glowing flora and fauna, trickling streams and waterways, giant looming mountains hovering above your head, and a lilting orchestral score playing in the background, nobody is going to remember if the movie did or didn't have cultural impact. It's going to be a world of its own. No deep analysis of the film's cultural failings can change that.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Say what you want about the Avatar film(s), the setting of Pandora is a brilliant choice for a "magical" world brought to life. What I like is that you won't even have to have seen the film or be a fan of it in order to enjoy the land. It reminds me of Cars Land in that regard. Despite the not-so-universal appeal of the film Cars, the land itself is so distinctly 1950s with the music and the neon and the architecture, in addition to being so brilliantly southwestern with the size and scope of the rockwork mountain backdrop, that it immediately speaks to a time and place that grabs you. Like so many things, it's a place that no pictures can do justice - you have to see it in person to feel it. Strolling through that place at night when the neon sparks to life and Sh-boom, Sh-boom plays over the speakers is almost universally effective.

If executed properly (and I believe it will be), Pandora should be equally awe-inspiring, and the cultural impact of the films is independent of all that. Gently glowing flora and fauna, trickling streams and waterways, giant looming mountains hovering above your head, and a lilting orchestral score playing in the background, nobody is going to remember if the movie did or didn't have cultural impact. It's going to be a world of its own. No deep analysis of the film's cultural failings can change that.

An argument I've always liked....http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ys-animal-kingdom.803695/page-90#post-4754111

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
That seems to be the case. When the land was first proposed, we heard about the possibility of a "flex" dining like BoG where it would be quick service for lunch and table service for dinner. Somewhere in the interim they decided to instead have just a quick service within Pandora and put a table service nearby, but on Discovery Island. My guess is that they didn't think the theme was conducive to a proper sit down place in Pandora.

To solve this problem in the next movie the Na'vi allow the humans to open an Applebees next to hometree.

Fox&Hound

I'm really not sure why it ever was a big deal Disney chose to create a themed land off an IP that has "no pop-cultural footprint".

How many rides at any Disney resort have no or never had a pop-culture footprint at the time of their creation? Maybe we need a history lesson and should look at what Disney used to do best. They could build rides that created pop culture footprints. Ever heard of Pirates? Haunted Mansion? Jungle Cruise? Small World? Hmmm...

Perhaps one day confused 12 year olds will be asking their parents to see that Avatar movie based off the Disney attraction.

Love this! Disney makes it pop culture. end of discussion =)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Am I the only one who thought that this thread would consist of nothing but an audio file of the OP poster saying the word "Avatar" based on the title only to be confronted by a wall of text that makes Cryptonomicon look like a short read?

MereMickey

I can't imagine this expansion having staying power. Tops how many years will it be around before it is replaced? Maybe 10? This definitely will not have the impact say a Star Wars expansion will have and be around for decades. I am so confused by this expansion because the fandom just isn't there as the OP wisely points out. People for years speculated about the Star Wars franchise getting rebooted because it was so loved. Avatar is a visually beautiful movie with a very weak storyline.

twebber55

I can't imagine this expansion having staying power. Tops how many years will it be around before it is replaced? Maybe 10? This definitely will not have the impact say a Star Wars expansion will have and be around for decades. I am so confused by this expansion because the fandom just isn't there as the OP wisely points out. People for years speculated about the Star Wars franchise getting rebooted because it was so loved. Avatar is a visually beautiful movie with a very weak storyline.
welcome to the boards!

PorterRedkey

Yeah, I don't think a ride based on the racially insensitive 'Song of the Song' will last more than a few years either.

Avatarland will surely fail before all 4 sequels are out.;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Great attractions will maintain their popularity even if the IP they are based on them don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom