New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

hpyhnt 1000

I'm a bit baffled by the RoL seating area. Parts are really well themed, others seem disjointed out of place. It's like different sections were designed by completely different people from a completely different budget.

Maybe there's stuff missing that will make it all come together, but time's getting short for that to happen.

djkidkaz

I'm a bit baffled by the RoL seating area. Parts are really well themed, others seem disjointed out of place. It's like different sections were designed by completely different people from a completely different budget.

Maybe there's stuff missing that will make it all come together, but time's getting short for that to happen.

Exactly what I was thinking. They put in the beautiful stone seating but then threw in bleacher seats? I'm wondering if they were originally going to have the back as standing room only and then decided to add seating instead?

G00fyDad

Now I am not so sure that the metal bleacher seats in the back will be themed appropriately. :( They may stick out like a sore thumb.

G00fyDad

They were installed like yesterday...

Let's give them time to see if there's theming.

They weren't installed yesterday. They have been installing them for a couple of weeks at least. However, I'm going to give them time. I was one of the first people to say that they probably are going to theme them. But looking at the latest photos I don't really have that same feeling that it is happening.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
@marni1971 and or @MansionButler84 do you know if lasers will be used in the show? And will there be more fountains than what we saw in the last concept art with the 5 flowers?

I sure hope not (with regards to lasers)... lasers just feel like such an 80s thing... no real need to include lasers when such high definition projections are possible. My thought is that we should be thinking about this less as a projection show (like World of Color) and more as a physical prop/set show which is enhanced by projections (like Fantasmic). Of course I could be completely wrong, but I guess we'll see...

TabulaRasa

Not sure if this has been reported (so please excuse me if it has), but I was just reading my latest Disney Files Magazine and in it they discuss Rivers of Light with the VP of Animal Kingdom. The magazine goes on to confirm that there will be multiple showings of Rivers of Light each night, and it will also include 'exclusive footage captured by Disneynature filmmakers' (this was probably already assumed because of previous references to Disneynature filmmakers contributing to the show).

The article goes on to reference the Tree of Life and how it will 'come to life' with spontaneous stories as 'natural occurrences' throughout the night...so it sounds like the ToL will be part of the show as well as have it's own mini-shows multiple times a night.

Again, all news to me, but not sure if it was news to the masses.

ToTBellHop

@marni1971 and or @MansionButler84 do you know if lasers will be used in the show? And will there be more fountains than what we saw in the last concept art with the 5 flowers?
I don't know any specifics beyond a rough opening date. Disney is trying to keep this one a surprise (and I think a good one but that's my opinion).

It'll be better than it was going to be when some draconian cuts were proposed a couple years back that would have left it little more than those five-minute Bellagio shows. Happy that didn't come.

MerlinTheGoat

It'll be better than it was going to be when some draconian cuts were proposed a couple years back that would have left it little more than those five-minute Bellagio shows. Happy that didn't come.
There were multiple people including whylightbulb, marni1971 and WDW1974 stating that the budget had indeed been massively cut and the show was downgraded to a small scale Bellagio show. Those posts were from mid 2014 however, over a year and a half ago (and perhaps the source itself was even older). You seem to have heard something different. Were those rumors of cuts inaccurate (or possibly a threat that was not actually followed through with), or was the original budget (or something close to it) reinserted in the last year or two?

I will definitely say that the November video (with the animated art) presented by Joe Rohde certainly showcases art that APPEARS more elaborate than what insiders have been describing recently. The art actually LOOKS pretty darn fantastic. I'd even say that if the show has a reasonable length (most night shows seem to be around 12-13 minutes, with World of Color apparently being around 25) and if they can sustain the visuals seen in the artwork consistently throughout (it would be a shame if only a couple of brief scenes use these types of effects while the rest is mostly basic and empty), I think it has the potential to actually be a fantastic show.

Again it was stated that the show was originally intended to be something on the scale of World of Color before the cuts, which allegedly brought it down to something like a small scale Bellagio show. The video above however does not look like it reflects those cuts. Granted they appear to be different types of shows (RoL compared to WoC that is), but what i'm seeing certainly looks like it could be at least as impressive as World of Color if not more so. WoC almost exclusively uses lit fountains and mist projections whereas River of Light seems to rely more on performers and physical props/sets. What will determine how it stacks up to WoC is how long it is and how consistent the visuals are.

Then again I also know better than to doubt Martin, 74 and whylightbulb who are usually spot-on with their info. It also wouldn't be the first time that Disney released blatantly deceptive art for an attraction, whereas the real version doesn't come close to living up to the concepts (New Fantasyland). Or where they show an awesome looking piece of art that only accounts for a very brief part of the show and the remaining 95% is bland and empty. It's hard to know what to believe here.

Slowjack

A question: why are the rear "bleachers" sections pitched at a smaller angle than the front "themed" sections? That would seem to be the opposite of what one would normally do. I guess this implies stuff is happening right at water level, but quite distant from the viewing area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom