Muppets' New Show is a "documentary" exploring their adult lives

Matt_Black

They're panicking a bit, yes, and a bit prematurely. Tuesday's are a busy night with many established ratings hits. Factor in the recent baseball with it's higher than usual ratings, yeah, the Muppets aren't doing as well as they could be.

FoozieBear

It's a bit of an interesting case. I like it a lot, but I will admit there's a lot of room for improvement, so hopefully the spring tweaking won't affect the show too much and will just improve the rough spots.

It has a solid steady fanbase and is one of the highest rated comedies on ABC so I hope they don't see it as a failure, but I think the spring launch is to draw the families that they lost back to the show.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What were everyones thoughts on the refurbished/tweaked show? I feel like anyone who was disappointed in September would have been really satisfied with it.
I thought the tweaked version was much better.

It was slowly improving towards the end of last season, but the most recent episode was fun and got me to genuinely laugh several times.

I am excited to see this direction!

Matt_Black

It didn't feel that different. Not crazy about Kermit & Piggy back together. Also, and there was a hint of this earlier in the season, maybe even the first episode, but this whole episode really felt like a "We, the show writers and producers, feel a need to vent about stupid executives and internal network politics."

FoozieBear

It didn't feel that different. Not crazy about Kermit & Piggy back together. Also, and there was a hint of this earlier in the season, maybe even the first episode, but this whole episode really felt like a "We, the show writers and producers, feel a need to vent about stupid executives and internal network politics."

No, I feel like that was just The Muppets meta-way of acknowledging creative problems and solving thrm. I think it worked pretty well.

I would like Kermit and Piggy to EVENTUALLY get back together but this is too rushed. I just hate that the general public can't stand to see something new and fresh in this relationship that they have to cave in an Toss Denise aside. Plus she's a great character soI hope this is not the end of her.

GenerationX

I didn't think this first show of the second half was particularly better than the first half shows. They've all been pretty funny.

One of the best parts of the show is the screwball comedy mood, which the guest stars all know and appreciate. Reese Witherspoon, Dave Grohl, Mindy Kaling, and now Key & Peele all have to be Muppet fans and clearly get it. Key & Peele were hysterical.

I'm really growing to appreciate Pepe and Uncle Deadly.

TheOriginalTiki

So, just feel the need to bring this up because I'm in the mood to rant.

I've been loving the direction this show's been headed. It's on an upward swing since the Going, Going Gonzo episode and the soft reboot certainly improved many things. I'm very annoyed by how random and sporadic the actual plots and character arcs are. Outside of Kermit and Piggie all the other characters plots have kind of fizzled.

Sam/Janice-Done
Scooter's mommy issues-Not brought up
Fozzie's girlfriend-Honestly an inconsistent trainwreck of a storyline from the get go.

But by far the worst offender of all of this happened this week. We've been left wondering what happened to Camilla and last week she FINALLY came back into the picture...only to be swept under the rug as if that cliffhanger never happened. Seriously, is it just me or does it feel like these episodes aired out of sequence or something? I'm kind of flabbergasted. I've never seen a show have such a big cliffhanger and then not even address it the following week.

I know The Muppets have never been known for having an amazing narrative or super deep character development, but to me it's annoying that all these plots keep coming off, getting dropped, and then getting brought up again. I'd rather just have a straight up sitcom with no continuity over some of these on/off plots that honestly feel a bit sloppy in terms of writing.

I really hate to be complaining so much as I've loved a large part of what I've seen, but it seems the big draw of this show in seeing the Muppets evolve deeper as characters has kind of flown by the wayside.

That, and I'm just REALLY peeved about Camilla. You can't just give us that cliffhanger and then go back to pretending like she doesn't exist! ahem...Walter... ;)

Last edited:

FoozieBear

So, just feel the need to bring this up because I'm in the mood to rant.

I've been loving the direction this show's been headed. It's on an upward swing since the Going, Going Gonzo episode and the soft reboot certainly improved many things. I'm very annoyed by how random and sporadic the actual plots and character arcs are. Outside of Kermit and Piggie all the other characters plots have kind of fizzled.

Sam/Janice-Done
Scooter's mommy issues-Not brought up
Fozzie's girlfriend-Honestly an inconsistent trainwreck of a storyline from the get go.

But by far the worst offender of all of this happened this week. We've been left wondering what happened to Camilla and last week she FINALLY came back into the picture...only to be swept under the rug as if that cliffhanger never happened. Seriously, is it just me or does it feel like these episodes aired out of sequence or something? I'm kind of flabbergasted. I've never seen a show have such a big cliffhanger and then not even address it the following week.

I know The Muppets have never been known for having an amazing narrative or super deep character development, but to me it's annoying that all these plots keep coming off, getting dropped, and then getting brought up again. I'd rather just have a straight up sitcom with no continuity over some of these on/off plots that honestly feel a bit sloppy in terms of writing.

I really hate to be complaining so much as I've loved a large part of what I've seen, but it seems the big draw of this show in seeing the Muppets evolve deeper as characters has kind of flown by the wayside.

That, and I'm just REALLY peeved about Camilla. You can't just give us that cliffhanger and then go back to pretending like she doesn't exist! ahem...Walter... ;)
They haven't dropped any of that! Camilla has a large role in next week's episode and episode 16. Its possible the episodes switched airdate orders, because last week bad no Pache or Gloria Estefan when this week did. It's possible along the way the scripts or airdates were swapped around, but rest assured they aren't throwing those plots under the rug.

TheOriginalTiki

They haven't dropped any of that! Camilla has a large role in next week's episode and episode 16. Its possible the episodes switched airdate orders, because last week bad no Pache or Gloria Estefan when this week did. It's possible along the way the scripts or airdates were swapped around, but rest assured they aren't throwing those plots under the rug.

Yea. I honestly posted that "rant" immediately upon watching the episode when I was really stoked to see the Camilla continuation. Upon further reflection I realized it must have been a swap in the order the episodes aired. Why they chose this particular week to do something like this when last week was the show's very first big cliffhanger I have no idea though. I'm wondering if it was a post production problem and this week's episode had some last minute editing snafus they needed to fix forcing them to air last week's episode first.

Kinda makes me wish Gonzo just wasn't in this week's episode at all. If he wasn't there I would have just assumed him and Camilla were off screen and we'd be getting the pay off to that the next episode. The problem is that he does have a somewhat major role in this episode and Camilla wasn't brought up at all. I think the natural first reaction would be that they swept the storyine under the rug. I'll be curious to see exactly what point the Camilla stuff starts next episode. If it picks up exactly from where the cliffhanger left off with Gonzo and her at the house party...that's some super wonky continuity.

In other news...

Robin next week, apparently! :D

FoozieBear

That's what I was thinking. It was probably a bad last minute swap between the episodes. The same thing happened twice in the first half of the show so it's highly possible.

Yes! I'm so excited for Robin! I'm glad to see him back. Now just bring Walter back and the show will be complete.

TheOriginalTiki

If Walter's coming back at all, I'm thinking it will be in the finale. I'd like to think that somehow he's the one who ends up bailing the Muppets out of their situation with Pache. It'd be awesome if he was actually a high up executive at ABC or something like that, and would explain his absence from the rest of the series.

Matt_Black

No. One friend asked "Why don't you like Walter? He thinks the Muppets are cool and talks about them all the time just like you?" I responded with, "A movie with me doing that would be terrible. It's not much better when a little putz made of felt does it either."

FoozieBear

No. One friend asked "Why don't you like Walter? He thinks the Muppets are cool and talks about them all the time just like you?" I responded with, "A movie with me doing that would be terrible. It's not much better when a little putz made of felt does it either."

I'm literally in shock right now. I love everything about Walter. I love his personality and his role in the movies. I love that he represents everything about Muppet fans.

Besides, he saved the Muppets and rallied the gang together to save Kermit in MMW. So Walter isn't the breakout star or the scene stealer, but he's the kind of dedicated eager guy The Muppets can always count on in sticky situations. I love that guy, and I really miss him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom