Why?

JohnnyDollaz89

So I take it that you are asking why DVC? Here is one example. Disney is having a 25% of Deluxe resort sale for select properties and dates right now. Looking at staying a week - May 7 - May 13 - in AKL with a Savannah view would cost just over $2,800. Using our DVC points, which we pay $5.44 per point for our dues (we broke even years ago on our initial investment), it is 80 points for the exact same week. So we "pay" $435.38 in dues to stay in the exact same room that a cash guest is paying over $2,800 for.

So we could stay 6 weeks for the same price as one week paying cash.

That's why we joined. :D

And this is why the wife and I may sign up when we head down in June. That way our kids can enjoy it as they grow up.

yedliW

The "...if you enjoy deluxe accommodations" argument always strikes me as disingenuous when you consider you have to tack on $35 a night for housekeeping. Having your bed made and room cleaned is a very basic accommodation, to the point where I'd consider a normal stay at Port Orleans with housekeeping a more "deluxe" experience than a week in a Wilderness Lodge Villa where you only get trash and towels one time. The full kitchen also takes away from the deluxe vibe

I always find it odd that you don't get daily service on points. It is another example of Disney taking DVC members for granted..

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I always find it odd that you don't get daily service on points. It is another example of Disney taking DVC members for granted.
DVC members are "granted." When you prepay decades of vacations all at once, you lose the recourse to take your business elsewhere afforded to the cash guest.

yedliW

DVC members are "granted." When you prepay decades of vacations all at once, you lose the recourse to take your business elsewhere afforded to the cash guest.

True.. but you'd think that they would take care of the people who invested in them more than the people who haven't yet.. Or, at least treat them the same, and make their beds every day and bring them fresh towels if they want them..

But this has been hashed out multiple times in other threads.. and comments on message boards aren't going to change how Disney does business, so I'm going to leave it at that.. :)

dreamfinder

I always find it odd that you don't get daily service on points. It is another example of Disney taking DVC members for granted..

It's got nothing to do with WDW or Disney at that point. Once the points have been sold to the owners, they are the ones who can vote on making changes to how the property is run (albeit through their proxies by voting for the board). Daily mousekeeping will drive up dues. To keep dues low, you only get the reduced cleaning schedule. Same reason why they got rid of free valet for owners, the added costs were raising dues, which reflects poorly on the program and how it is run. You want daily mousekeeping, you can pay for it directly via the posted rates in room. I however don't need daily mousekeeping, so would rather not pay another few dollars per point in dues if I don't need to.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Why? You know this beforehand if you do ANY research before plunking down thousands of dollars, so you make an informed decision. If you require daily service, then you can pay for it, or pay 6 times what we pay for a cash reservation. Even when we stay on a cash reservation, we put up the Do Not Disturb for several days. If we want service, we take it down. We don't need it every day, and prefer that it is only every 4 days. We don't make a mess, and if we fill our trash can, we are certainly capable of walking to the trash bin to throw it away ourselves. Of course, I understand that cleaning up after yourself is an anomaly nowadays, as most expect the Disney CMs to wait on them hand and foot. To each his/her own I guess.

In my above example, I could add full daily housekeeping for $30 per day. Since I am already getting service on day 4, I would need to add 6 days. So add $180 to my cost. I am still saving over $2,000 compared to the guest that paid cash.

Please explain how that isn't worth it. :confused:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not odd at all. It's standard for a timeshare. I just had this discussion in another thread. I don't think many people understand that timeshare vacationing is different than staying at a hotel. There are generally certain advantages and some things that you don't get that you would at a hotel. A lot of times it more closely resembles renting a condo or house from a private owner than staying in a hotel. Generally speaking timeshares have limited or no housekeeping and less flexibility on early check-in or switching rooms.

What the person in the other thread was saying is he felt Disney was selling DVC as pre-paying for a stay in a deluxe hotel room which it is not. DVC is a timeshare that happens to be connected to a Disney Deluxe hotel (in most cases). Owners should know going in that they are going to have things like kitchens and washer and dryers in their room that they wouldn't have in a hotel room, but they won't receive the same housekeeping service. It's why Disney in the past had a 4th room category for DVC rooms called home away from home (maybe they still do, but I haven't seen it listed that way in a while). They weren't listed as deluxe since they are not the same as the deluxe hotel rooms.

Tom

Beta Return

It's all spelled out before you buy in. You agree to it when you buy the points.

Nobody is being taken for granted, except people who poorly research something before they buy it.

yedliW

It's all spelled out before you buy in. You agree to it when you buy the points.

Nobody is being taken for granted, except people who poorly research something before they buy it.

In my defense.. I married into DVC.. my wife had bought in before we got married.. so I didn't do all the research.. and am still learning the intricacies of it..

EOD K9

. There are generally certain advantages and some things that you don't get that you would at a hotel. A lot of times it more closely resembles renting a condo or house from a private owner than staying in a hotel.
Air BnB presented by Disney. The newest and best kept Disney secret.

slappy magoo

What the person in the other thread was saying is he felt Disney was selling DVC as pre-paying for a stay in a deluxe hotel room which it is not. DVC is a timeshare that happens to be connected to a Disney Deluxe hotel (in most cases).

I'm going by memory (and I'm old so grain of salt and all that), but I vaguely remember pamphlets or flyers (fliers? sp?) or other promotional materials hyping DVC membership as an affordable (or MORE affordable) way to regularly stay in "deluxe-style" Disney resorts. Words to that effect anyway. Which would make the perception that you're pre-paying for a stay in a deluxe hotel understandable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom