Hunchback of Notre Dame show at DHS...

po1998

Original Poster
Someone help jog my memory...

Where was the Hunchback of Notre Dame show held at DHS? We saw the show sometime circa 1998.

I want to say it was in an area that had covered seating, but was open air. I can't think of a current space at DHS that fits this description.

Help!

Thanks

Haymarket2008

It was indeed an open air theater that was where the current Premiere Theatre is. So back behind all the Muppets stuff and leading into the Streets of America.

po1998

Original Poster
So was the theater used for Hunchback demolished and Premier built in its place, or did they somehow enclose/renovate the existing theater?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So was the theater used for Hunchback demolished and Premier built in its place, or did they somehow enclose/renovate the existing theater?
Enclosed and HVAC added to. The additions ultimately led to the building not being in the best of shape.

Originally the theatre was open air seating, for the second location of Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage and also The Spirit of Pochohontas.

po1998

Original Poster
Enclosed and HVAC added to. The additions ultimately led to the building not being in the best of shape.

Originally the theatre was open air seating, for the second location of Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage and also The Spirit of Pochohontas.
Thx!! My memory isn't what it used to be. :happy:

graphite1326

When did the show end (and why)? I saw it in '96 but it was gone by the time we went back. Actually I liked the show better than Beauty and the Beast. And the only reason we went to BatB was to see "4 for a Dollar."

Rob562

When did the show end (and why)? I saw it in '96 but it was gone by the time we went back. Actually I liked the show better than Beauty and the Beast. And the only reason we went to BatB was to see "4 for a Dollar."

Primarily money. Hunchback had at least 8 live singers. Beauty and the Beast has 2 (maybe 3, it's been a while).

Even though it was the better (IMO) show, if it moved to the BatB theater it would be more expensive.

-Rob

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It was easily the better show, the performers were fantastic. I do seem to remember some tales on thi ssite confirming money was the driver for cutting. You can only have a premium experience if its cheap to operate, the indicator of policy for decades it seems.

danyoung56

Can you be a little more specific? My memory has B&tB in a theater right where Hollywood Blvd. joins Sunset, in an outdoor theater that was open to the brutal sun, and the 2nd location being right where it is now. I don't remember it ever being in the same theater as Hunchback.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can you be a little more specific? My memory has B&tB in a theater right where Hollywood Blvd. joins Sunset, in an outdoor theater that was open to the brutal sun, and the 2nd location being right where it is now. I don't remember it ever being in the same theater as Hunchback.
I'm at work so don't have specific dates, but Beauty and the Beast premiered in the original Theatre of the Stars in late 1991, the same day the movie was released in theatres. Quite a coup. As you said this was an open air seating area in the parks hub where the tip board and Villans in Vogue is today. The theatre sat across what is now the small straight part of Sunset outside Vogue.

In late 1993 (I think) it moved to the (then newly improved) backlot theatre whilst the original location was demolished so Sunset could be completed and connected to the rest of the park. Prior to this the Backlot theatre area was an ad hoc performance area. The audience area was still open air until Hunchback.

It then moved to its current location when the new Theatre of the Stars was completed and Sunset opened to guests in mid 1994.

Also worth noting is the original version - for the first decade - was rather disjointed with acts in different places and a longer Mob Song sequence.

By moving the show around the park with uninterrupted performances it'll be 25 years old this coming fall, and is the longest running live show in a Disney park.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Primarily money. Hunchback had at least 8 live singers. Beauty and the Beast has 2 (maybe 3, it's been a while).

Even though it was the better (IMO) show, if it moved to the BatB theater it would be more expensive.

-Rob

Then what on earth inspired them to pay all of the singers for Finding Nemo the Musical?

Rob562

Then what on earth inspired them to pay all of the singers for Finding Nemo the Musical?

I'm sure the answer is multi-faceted.

AK was their least-attended park, and needed everything it could. But it's also that Nemo replaced an existing show (Tarzan Rocks) that had a large number of Equity stunt performers (aerialists and skaters), singers and live musicians, so I'm sure on paper it was close to being a wash in terms of talent.

-Rob

Miss Heinous

I'm sure the answer is multi-faceted.

AK was their least-attended park, and needed everything it could. But it's also that Nemo replaced an existing show (Tarzan Rocks) that had a large number of Equity stunt performers (aerialists and skaters), singers and live musicians, so I'm sure on paper it was close to being a wash in terms of talent.

-Rob
It helps that Finding Nemo is a popular movie and Hunchback was not.

danyoung56

It helps that Finding Nemo is a popular movie and Hunchback was not.

From Wikipedia -

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame was released on June 21, 1996 to largely positive reviews and was a commercial success, grossing over $325 million worldwide and becoming the fifth highest-grossing release of 1996."

Miss Heinous

From Wikipedia -

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame was released on June 21, 1996 to largely positive reviews and was a commercial success, grossing over $325 million worldwide and becoming the fifth highest-grossing release of 1996."
Even though the film failed to become a hit with merchandise and was quickly swept under the rug after it's release.

Animaniac93-98

As I understand it, Hunchback was intended to be a 1-year promotional show like Pocahontas before it, but had its run extended due to its popularity. Were there any plans to do Hercules and Mulan in '97 & '98, and if so, how far did those shows go into development?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom