Swimming in December

tampabrad

December, January and February weather is totally unpredictable. Honestly, it could be 80 one day and 50 the next. Last year, we had a longer than normal "winter" lasting a couple of months. As said before, the pools are heated, so it is the trip to the towel and robes that is more of the concern. Also, someone from up north may enjoy a pool when it is 60 or lover where i would be wrapped in a blanket not going anywhere near a pool.

The Mom

Premium Member
Just noticed that Blizzard Beach is closing due to the cold. And it's predicted to get colder, and stay that way for several days.

becanya

I am so ready to move farther south. Nashville is way too cold for me right now.

Just found out I'm going to a beach resort in Saint Petersburg in Feb...it will definitely be interesting to see if I can enjoy it at all. :)

CaptainShortty

A word of note about the waterparks from someone who's roommate was a BB and TL lifeguard...

Although it may be warm enough for you to swim and enjoy the waterparks it is not unlikely that if it is "cold" and the waterparks don't reach a certain capacity that they will close them early. During the cold weather we got in Jan/Feb 2010 my roommate frequently was back in our apartment by 11AM because they had closed the parks due to weather/low volume. You will be compensated back for the day you paid for but it might throw a wrench in your plans. Just a warning. :wave:

That being said, the resort pools are heated and will stay open pretty much no matter what. If it's warm enough to swim literally depends on the day as well as where you're from and how tolerant of the cold you are. I'll swim in 60-65 degrees while my cousins from FL are in winter coats and scarfs. It's all relative.

Hope that helps answer your question!!

ann0d

We were down 3 times in December. Twice it was beautiful, not hot but the pools are heated, so it was fine to use the pools, The last time it was was too cold. We were spoiled the first two times thinking it was prefect weather, but you never know. Not that it was freezing just too cold for the pools.

Josephsmith

In Feb the coldest part of the south is on. So I generally use cold water on Dec. So if you are looking for coldest part try in Jan end or in Feb.

wdwstateofmind

As a central Florida resident and weather junky, December's highs are usually only in the 60s/70s and we've already seen night time 30s. Since WDW is in the middle of the state it might get a few degrees hotter than the coasts, but that doesn't last long and it also gets much colder more quickly since you're surrounded by nothing but farmland.

Today's central Florida weather was a lovely high of 61 degrees. Last year you might have had a chance since it was still really warm and if I remember correctly around 75/78 degrees around Thanksgiving time. However, this year they expect the weather to remain pretty 'crappy' until the high patterns happening up north stabilize into a specific. It makes you hate people that describe Florida's 4 seasons as hot, more hot, hotter, hottest, because unless you're in KeyWest freezes happen pretty much every year and Dec/Jan/Feb can be awfully cold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom