Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Donaldfan1934

Yes, that's why they are doing it. You know they'll downplay the marketing of the new land too; they are that embarrassed by it. I bet they extend the 60th celebration for another decade just to hide the fact that they think Star Wars Land is a bad fit.
WdKkcN8hLzvOM.gif
No, I was saying that some of the imagineers involved with the project may think that this is a bad fit. Corporate greenlit it and forced it into the park. Imagineers have to do what corporate tells them so they have create a way for this to work regardless if it does. That's the mindset that created DCA 1.0. They created that park by working within restrictions budgetary or otherwise.

Donaldfan1934

"Cast members I talk to continue to have misgivings about all the disruption the addition of Star Wars Land is causing. "Is it worth it?" they ask. In the Roundhouse, those familiar with the locomotives have expressed concern about the Railroad's new route, which includes a 3-percent grade increase as the trains make their way along a trestle over the back of the River. Will the trains be able to take the climb with a full load?"

Let's see how long it takes before the grade increase becomes another talking point for the people who dislike SW Land. lol
Not long. Just goes to show you that Disney doesn't just ignore most of their fans, but their employees as well.

Last edited:

oo_nrb

What I'm saying is that while the other lands are behind the berm, they didn't take any additional procedures aside from just putting them behind the berm. I personally see what they're doing in Star Wars land with the extensive work work involved just to try and hide it as possible admission to the fact that it's a terrible fit.

The tall trees behind Main Street hide the lands that are directly behind that area. Maybe the tall trees behind City Hall are there to hide the fact that Adventureland doesn't fit with Main Street? Almost as if that's the point of a berm?

Also, the tree like structures will probably be seen anywhere in the park no matter how hard they try to hide it.

You can see Space Mountain from New Orleans Square and Main Street. You can see Small World from Tomorrowland. You can see Big Thunder Mountain from Critter Country. Disneyland has always been short on space and sightlines, so things grow big to hide the structures. It's a fact of life in our small park.

George Lucas on a Bench

You can see the Mickey and Friends parking garage from Frontierland/New Orleans Square, unfortunately. I sort of get seeing it from Splash Mountain, though one wonders why they don't simply build a taller wall to never enclose that section. But visible walking through the park? Inexcusable.

oo_nrb

You can see the Mickey and Friends parking garage from Frontierland/New Orleans Square, unfortunately. I sort of get seeing it from Splash Mountain, though one wonders why they don't simply build a taller wall to never enclose that section. But visible walking through the park? Inexcusable.

And, irony of ironies, the tall structures of Star Wars Land should actually help fix that sightline issue, so you won't be able to see Mickey and Friends from New Orleans Square any more.

D

Deleted member 107043

I haven't been to WDW in ages, so I have no idea what this view looks like today, but when I was a kid you could look out of the Magic Kingdom past Space Mountain and the Skyway and see beyond the park all the way to the Contemporary Resort from Tomorrowland without any effort.

The only hard and fast rules for designing a Disney park are the ones that internet fans have made up in their minds.

WDW12-71.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

He may have, but he didn't seem to have an issue with seeing the surrounding neighborhood from the Skyway or up close along Harbor Blvd. from the Monorail. Walt and his designers also seemed to be perfectly ok with this lovely view of the outside world from the Main Street Station of the DLRR. How magical!

50s-EntranceA.jpg~original

Again, the point is that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Disney theme park design.

Donaldfan1934

Imagineers are corporate.
They're only a piece of the pie my friend. They're a decision of Parks and Resorts which is a division of the larger company. They rely on the top executives and the board of directors to green light everything outside of Tokyo. That's why everyone love OLC so much because they let them do whatever the want to do because they invest insane amounts of money into their parks.

Donaldfan1934

The tall trees behind Main Street hide the lands that are directly behind that area. Maybe the tall trees behind City Hall are there to hide the fact that Adventureland doesn't fit with Main Street? Almost as if that's the point of a berm?

You can see Space Mountain from New Orleans Square and Main Street. You can see Small World from Tomorrowland. You can see Big Thunder Mountain from Critter Country. Disneyland has always been short on space and sightlines, so things grow big to hide the structures. It's a fact of life in our small park.
Yes, but the transitioning here seems less subtle than the other. Using natural features like trees makes the transition more natural. Most of these at only from very specific angles with the exception of Space Mountain from Main Street. Also, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad from Critter Country isn't too bad since they're both ROA.

Donaldfan1934

He may have, but he didn't seem to have an issue with seeing the surrounding neighborhood from the Skyway or up close along Harbor Blvd. from the Monorail. Walt and his designers also seemed to be perfectly ok with this lovely view of the outside world from the Main Street Station of the DLRR. How magical!

50s-EntranceA.jpg~original

Again, the point is that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Disney theme park design.
No, Walt wasn't ok with views like that. He did that because he had to. He hated the tackiness that surrounded the park. That's part of the reason why he bought up land in Florida. Even though EPCOT was the main focus, the Magic Kingdom was always part of the plan. In fact, one of the few directly Walt influenced elements on property was the Seven Seas Lagoon, which to this day gives a proper and beautiful transition from the parking lot to the park.

Curious Constance

No, Walt wasn't ok with views like that. He did that because he had to. He hated the tackiness that surrounded the park. That's part of the reason why he bought up land in Florida. Even though EPCOT was the main focus, the Magic Kingdom was always part of the plan. In fact, one of the few directly Walt influenced elements on property was the Seven Seas Lagoon, which to this day gives a proper and beautiful transition from the parking lot to the park.
So to sum it up, if the imagineers completely hide Star Wars land from the rest of the park, you'll know it's because they are ashamed of what they are building and take no pride in building Star Wars land in Disneyland, but if they don't hide it all, and you can see some parts from other areas of the park, you'll be mad because they didn't show any pride or care in their work, like Walt did?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom