Deustchland Meets Disneyland (An Mharrington Revival)

mharrington

I have to agree with @orlando678-, Germany is so close to France that said theme park would need to be different enough to give European residents and tourists a reason to go there. As it stands, Disneyland Paris is the number one tourist destination in Europe, so why detract from that?

I'd recommend building a big theme park that is completely unique rather than the typical Magic Kingdom.

That's the main reason why I've been grappling with whether to revive it or just let it be, although it would be a shame to leave so much untapped potential for Shanghai replication. Another option would be to put in another part of Europe even further away from Paris, such as Austria or Poland.

Actually, the main deciding factor for a location for a Disney park is the release of Disney films in the country in question; more to the point, whether or not people in said country have seen release of those films there. For example, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was released in France in May of 1938, while in Japan, because of WW2, that movie was not released there until September of 1950.

Instead of Berlin, There will be a Disneyland Belgium and Yes I Will Still Use this Thread.

But Belgium is even closer to France than Germany is, and even speaks French there! If we were to relocate it, it should be someplace further away from France, like Austria or Poland.

Keyblade Jedi

Original Poster
That's the main reason why I've been grappling with whether to revive it or just let it be, although it would be a shame to leave so much untapped potential for Shanghai replication. Another option would be to put in another part of Europe even further away from Paris, such as Austria or Poland.

Actually, the main deciding factor for a location for a Disney park is the release of Disney films in the country in question; more to the point, whether or not people in said country have seen release of those films there. For example, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was released in France in May of 1938, while in Japan, because of WW2, that movie was not released there until September of 1950.

But Belgium is even closer to France than Germany is, and even speaks French there! If we were to relocate it, it should be someplace further away from France, like Austria or Poland.

I Guess It's Denmark Disneyland Project Time.

MANEATINGWREATH

I'm not going to get too involved due to personal projects, lol, but I don't think a replication of Shanghai would be any better than just having a Magic Kingdom in France's neighbor. If anything, I recommend going a completely different route with different "lands," a non-castle icon, and a non-Main Street opening.

I've been to Germany before (Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, etc.). It is a gorgeous country. The weather is a lot like that of the American Midwest (minus the tornadoes), as is the general ecosystem. Every so often you'll see luscious green plains, then all of a sudden, sprawling, beautiful forests from the pages of a storybook. Don't even get me started on how gorgeous the mountains and rolling hills are. Castles are randomly in the middle of streets and mountainsides. Seriously. Here is a picture I took to give you an idea of the country's architecture.

10426839_10202079352335477_8834688121492066207_n.jpg

One town we went to had a medieval tower fenced off in the middle of an intersection. This same town resembled Disneyland's Fantasyland, right down to the slightly askew Bavarian-style architecture.

That being said, much of what Disneyland has is found in everyday life in Germany, hence my reasoning for no castle. Why go to Disneyland to see a castle when there's a real one just down the street that you can visit for free?

I think this park should be a DisneySea-type park with original material. But that's just my two cents.

Keyblade Jedi

Original Poster
I'm not going to get too involved due to personal projects, lol, but I don't think a replication of Shanghai would be any better than just having a Magic Kingdom in France's neighbor. If anything, I recommend going a completely different route with different "lands," a non-castle icon, and a non-Main Street opening.

I've been to Germany before (Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, etc.). It is a gorgeous country. The weather is a lot like that of the American Midwest (minus the tornadoes), as is the general ecosystem. Every so often you'll see luscious green plains, then all of a sudden, sprawling, beautiful forests from the pages of a storybook. Don't even get me started on how gorgeous the mountains and rolling hills are. Castles are randomly in the middle of streets and mountainsides. Seriously. Here is a picture I took to give you an idea of the country's architecture.

One town we went to had a medieval tower fenced off in the middle of an intersection. This same town resembled Disneyland's Fantasyland, right down to the slightly askew Bavarian-style architecture.

That being said, much of what Disneyland has is found in everyday life in Germany, hence my reasoning for no castle. Why go to Disneyland to see a castle when there's a real one just down the street that you can visit for free?

I think this park should be a DisneySea-type park with original material. But that's just my two cents.

Lucky. I Never Been to Germany Before. Nor Other Countries.

mharrington

That's great that you went to Germany! I went to Europe once, too, but I did not go to Germany, though I would love to.

Anyway, you bring up some good points about building another park too close to France, which is why I suggested someplace a little further away. The truth is, I'm not comfortable about completely breaking away from the castle park formula. The Shanghai park diverges in many ways as it is. It's one thing to do variations on an old formula, but it's another thing to do something else entirely unproven.

These points are also the reasons why I rarely create these new theme parks anymore or contribute to others' ideas. I usually stick to just updating the old parks, which is a shame, actually, because it would be cool to do different versions of the castle parks in other lands. It would be cool, for example, to see another park's Dumbo ride have the circus theme, which is currently only in Florida. In all other parks, including the one coming to Shanghai, it is in the old toy design. It would also be cool to maybe do the Honey Pot spin ride from Shanghai, which is that park's equivalent of the teacups. But if we can't use the castle park motif, it really doesn't mean a thing.

Those are my two cents.

Keyblade Jedi

Original Poster
That's great that you went to Germany! I went to Europe once, too, but I did not go to Germany, though I would love to.

Anyway, you bring up some good points about building another park too close to France, which is why I suggested someplace a little further away. The truth is, I'm not comfortable about completely breaking away from the castle park formula. The Shanghai park diverges in many ways as it is. It's one thing to do variations on an old formula, but it's another thing to do something else entirely unproven.

These points are also the reasons why I rarely create these new theme parks anymore or contribute to others' ideas. I usually stick to just updating the old parks, which is a shame, actually, because it would be cool to do different versions of the castle parks in other lands. It would be cool, for example, to see another park's Dumbo ride have the circus theme, which is currently only in Florida. In all other parks, including the one coming to Shanghai, it is in the old toy design. It would also be cool to maybe do the Honey Pot spin ride from Shanghai, which is that park's equivalent of the teacups. But if we can't use the castle park motif, it really doesn't mean a thing.

Those are my two cents.

Naturally, I Have a Question? Is Denmark too Close to France or Not, I Could Have My Disneyland Project of Your Original Scrapped Project Moved to Denmark. Now I Had to Put It in the Different Thread.

mharrington

Naturally, I Have a Question? Is Denmark too Close to France or Not, I Could Have My Disneyland Project of Your Original Scrapped Project Moved to Denmark. Now I Had to Put It in the Different Thread.

There is a site called "How Far Is It", which shows the distance between two locations, in terms of "as the crow flies". In this case, Copenhagen is 639 miles from France, a little less than 100 miles further than Berlin, but still relatively close. For comparison, the distance from Hong Kong to Shanghai is 765 miles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom