Think I'm going to do the 5k & 10k next year...

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
.....eeeeeeeeppppppppp!!! I am NOT a runner so I need to start training now. Do you think I could do the 5k and 10k back-to-back days? I'm for-sure not ready for the 1/2 or the full. I guess I need to decide by April!!

What's the recommended pace for the 5k & 10k? Do we have to prove our time? I'm brand new to this - any help is much appreciated!!

I'm planning on being at WDW 1/3-1/9 2017 - what else do I need to know.

Greenlawler

Awesome, You will love it.

The 5k and 10k are a totally different animal for me because I am a runner.

But to answer your questions:
Yes you could easily do both, very few people take these two races seriously, and since you will be starting in the back coral (with no other race experience) you will have a hard time running through crowds anyways.

Disney says they require a 17 minute mile, but they don't even time the 5K and I suspect a brisk walk would get it done.
The 10k they do time, but again, about 70% of everyone around you will not truly be running, they are more run/walk/partying

You do not have to prove a time for these races I believe, only for the Half and Full.

If you can train yourself up o the point where you can run like 13 minute miles at least for more than 3 miles you will have zero issues. That's little more than a slow jog. Then you could also stop for some characters.

But really I am not sure they sweep in either race?

dreamfinder

If you start training now, you should be fine. You are 11 months out, so should have plenty of time to get in a good place. Look into a "couch to 5k" program, and shoot to do a few races beforehand so you know get familiar to pacing, race process, etc.

Keep in mind that the 5k/10k will most likely be the first races to sell out as there only ends up being about 2,500-3,000 bibs for non challenge runners, so I would suggest picking the race you would prefer to do and register for that first, then try to sign up for the second. Definitely plan on being available to register at noon the day it opens, as I think last year they sold out in a few hours.

Disney says they require a 17 minute mile, but they don't even time the 5K and I suspect a brisk walk would get it done.
The 10k they do time, but again, about 70% of everyone around you will not truly be running, they are more run/walk/partying

I believe the required pace is still the same 16min pace for all the other events. As you said, the 5k isn't officially timed, but they do still have to close the course and may refuse the medallion to anyone who is outside the pace. runDisney recommends a 15min pace to allow for time for rest stops/characters, but if you really want to see characters you probably need to shoot for a 12-13min pace. The lines get long for characters as the races go on. You won't need to provide proof of time, but out of fairness and safety, list the time you actually think you will run at.

Stellajack

Premium Member
.....eeeeeeeeppppppppp!!! I am NOT a runner so I need to start training now. Do you think I could do the 5k and 10k back-to-back days? I'm for-sure not ready for the 1/2 or the full. I guess I need to decide by April!!

What's the recommended pace for the 5k & 10k? Do we have to prove our time? I'm brand new to this - any help is much appreciated!!

Hey! I'm running my first Disney 10K Feb. 20. I ran my very first 5K for charity in Sept. The information I have received is that they do sweep the races at Disney, and this year the 10K is 16 min. I have worked so hard to start running at this post-retirement stage and I love it; but, I am concerned that I will have issues with a muscle pull in my leg. There is no proof of time required for either the 5K or 10K as others have said; and, even though it is a party, there will be some serious runners in that race. Get started and have fun, you're going to love it!

As far as what you need to know for the Jan. 2017 races (I assume that is your interest , you need to be on the RunDisney Registration page for the race you want at precisely noon on the day registration opens. Have your credit card ready because the spots fill up rapidly!

tmitch

I'm not tooting my own horn, but I had never done a marathon before, and I was able to finish that with 7 months prep. Granted, I didn't set any records, but I wanted to say I did it at least once. With a year prep you could for sure do a 5 or 10 k. And to further encourage you, I was 235 lbs when I started the marathon training at 5'8" tall so I wasn't in shape either.

JillC LI

I'm not tooting my own horn, but I had never done a marathon before, and I was able to finish that with 7 months prep. Granted, I didn't set any records, but I wanted to say I did it at least once. With a year prep you could for sure do a 5 or 10 k. And to further encourage you, I was 235 lbs when I started the marathon training at 5'8" tall so I wasn't in shape either.

I went from being able to run 2 miles to completing a marathon as well in 8 months time. Again, no speed records, but I ran the whole way. Then again, I would definitely say that going from not being able to run a block to running 2 miles regularly was just about as difficult for me as going from 2 to 26 miles. It was the mental aspect of pushing through that initial non-runner pain to realize that I actually COULD do it. Running 2 miles straight for the first time was a monstrous achievement for me over 20 years ago.

tmitch

I went from being able to run 2 miles to completing a marathon as well in 8 months time. Again, no speed records, but I ran the whole way. Then again, I would definitely say that going from not being able to run a block to running 2 miles regularly was just about as difficult for me as going from 2 to 26 miles. It was the mental aspect of pushing through that initial non-runner pain to realize that I actually COULD do it. Running 2 miles straight for the first time was a monstrous achievement for me over 20 years ago.
This. I'm (again) not bragging about the marathon. I'm saying that what is actually hard is getting over the IDEA of running. I'm sure once tc starts running, a 5,10, 15k would be fine. It's just the idea of running that far seems monumental, but it's usually just in their heads

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you visit the training section of the runDisney website, you can download the training schedule for 10k & above for each race event into your calendar. For a non-runner, recommendation for training for a 10k is about 15-16 weeks prior to race day. The nice thing about Galloway's training schedule is 2 days of running that is just time (30 minutes) and then one day of long run (distance) over the weeks of training. This is so that a couple of weeks before race day, you've had at least 2 runs that are the distance of the race - at least that's the training schedule for the 10k. I used the 10k training schedule for a 5k and just didn't go past 4 miles on the long run day. And make sure to have a day of nothing to recover. This is my training schedule: Monday gym, Tuesday 30 minute run, Wednesday gym, Thursday 30 minute run, Friday gym, Saturday long run, Sunday rest. My gym days are with a trainer, so they are arms, back, shoulders, chest, core and legs, all with weights (strength).

Take it easy the first couple of weeks with the run/walk run, like run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds, run 30 seconds. It's all laid out in his training.

And the minimum pace is 16 mm. I just ran the Princess 5k last Friday and didn't notice anyone monitoring pace, since the 5ks aren't timed races. I did notice a lot of "runners" who aren't in, well, running shape and they were just briskly walking. Given the popularity of half and full marathons, I think 5ks have become a fun run.

Good luck!

Sdr69

Don't waste your time or money on the 5K. It is not timed, so no official "results". Plain cotton t-shirt, and a rubber finishers medallion (looks like a kids toy). Go for the 10K. You get chip timing, a tech shirt, and a real finishers medal. They do not enforce the pacing rule in the 5K or 10K, and a lot of people were stopping for pictures (standing in line for character pics) and just enjoying the experience. There are a lot of walkers and run/walk folks. I made the mistake of registering for the 5K, because I wasn't sure I could make the pacing requirement in the 10K in the Princess. Wish I had known all of this ahead of time.. The 5K was a disappointment.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Don't waste your time or money on the 5K. It is not timed, so no official "results". Plain cotton t-shirt, and a rubber finishers medallion (looks like a kids toy). Go for the 10K. You get chip timing, a tech shirt, and a real finishers medal. They do not enforce the pacing rule in the 5K or 10K, and a lot of people were stopping for pictures (standing in line for character pics) and just enjoying the experience. There are a lot of walkers and run/walk folks. I made the mistake of registering for the 5K, because I wasn't sure I could make the pacing requirement in the 10K in the Princess. Wish I had known all of this ahead of time.. The 5K was a disappointment.

I found that out about the 5k. It's become a fun walk for most participants. I now plan on using the 5Ks as warm for the 10k and half marathons. And yeah, the rubber medal sucked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom