Why?

JohnByers

On a serious note, If you aren't going to be in the parks 7-10 days every year and enjoy deluxe accommodations along with an AP then its prob not for you.

Very overly simplistic answer I admit

dreamfinder

Direct is a hard sale. If you can afford resale without having to finance, you can potentially save a bundle in the long term. So why not?

CaptainAmerica

On a serious note, If you aren't going to be in the parks 7-10 days every year and enjoy deluxe accommodations along with an AP then its prob not for you.

Very overly simplistic answer I admit
The "...if you enjoy deluxe accommodations" argument always strikes me as disingenuous when you consider you have to tack on $35 a night for housekeeping. Having your bed made and room cleaned is a very basic accommodation, to the point where I'd consider a normal stay at Port Orleans with housekeeping a more "deluxe" experience than a week in a Wilderness Lodge Villa where you only get trash and towels one time. The full kitchen also takes away from the deluxe vibe. When I think "deluxe," I think dining out at restaurants, not scrambled eggs and toast delivered by Garden Grocer and prepared by me.

Note that I am NOT throwing stones at these accommodations. I love the villas and cabins because I like making my own breakfast. I just think the "deluxe accommodations" tag is a bit misleading.

Direct is a hard sale. If you can afford resale without having to finance, you can potentially save a bundle in the long term. So why not?
Risk. If Disney starts to suck (as some on this board would allege), a cash guest can take his business elsewhere. If a family member gets sick and dad loses his job, you might run into liquidity trouble.

JohnByers

The "...if you enjoy deluxe accommodations" argument always strikes me as disingenuous when you consider you have to tack on $35 a night for housekeeping. Having your bed made and room cleaned is a very basic accommodation, to the point where I'd consider a normal stay at Port Orleans with housekeeping a more "deluxe" experience than a week in a Wilderness Lodge Villa where you only get trash and towels one time. The full kitchen also takes away from the deluxe vibe. When I think "deluxe," I think dining out at restaurants, not scrambled eggs and toast delivered by Garden Grocer and prepared by me.

A very valid point and one that I hadn't thought of in that light. To me I guess I always considered it a waste to have fresh towels daily and my bed made when I am perfectly capable to do it myself and security wise prefer to minimize who is in my room anyways. I am also one who likes to make my own breakfast as its fast and simple and prefer to move that money forward towards an AP and a meals in the park.

I myself also like the atmosphere of the Villa's and enjoy a patio or deck to sit and drink my morning coffee or enjoy an adult beverage at night just relaxing and escaping the daily grind.

CaptainAmerica

A very valid point and one that I hadn't thought of in that light. To me I guess I always considered it a waste to have fresh towels daily and my bed made when I am perfectly capable to do it myself and security wise prefer to minimize who is in my room anyways. I am also one who likes to make my own breakfast as its fast and simple and prefer to move that money forward towards an AP and a meals in the park.

I myself also like the atmosphere of the Villa's and enjoy a patio or deck to sit and drink my morning coffee or enjoy an adult beverage at night just relaxing and escaping the daily grind.
We're not members, but like the villas (along with the cabins) at this point in our family life because of the extra space. My wife and the baby both sleep much better if there's a door separating the two of them. It also allows the adults to stay awake on the balcony, reading, or playing board games when the baby is napping or if we're not ready for bed when she is.

JohnByers

We're not members, but like the villas (along with the cabins) at this point in our family life because of the extra space. My wife and the baby both sleep much better if there's a door separating the two of them. It also allows the adults to stay awake on the balcony, reading, or playing board games when the baby is napping or if we're not ready for bed when she is.

And with a preteen and a teenager its nice to have the added privacy.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
See subject.
So I take it that you are asking why DVC? Here is one example. Disney is having a 25% of Deluxe resort sale for select properties and dates right now. Looking at staying a week - May 7 - May 13 - in AKL with a Savannah view would cost just over $2,800. Using our DVC points, which we pay $5.44 per point for our dues (we broke even years ago on our initial investment), it is 80 points for the exact same week. So we "pay" $435.38 in dues to stay in the exact same room that a cash guest is paying over $2,800 for.

So we could stay 6 weeks for the same price as one week paying cash.

That's why we joined. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom