Putting Magic Band (MDX) tech into other items

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
I've been thinking about the ability to take apart a magic band in order to put the tech innards into another case. Mostly I want to make something more functional for my parents to use because neither the bands or key cards really work for their needs.

In the past we've just looped their bands onto lanyards for easy access but even that is honestly a bit unwieldy. I've seen a few people that have simply snipped the straps off and hung it like a badge reel necklace. Really though I'd like to make something better than that.

Curious if anyone out there had any experience with this kind of modification and success using modded MDX stuff on property.

disneygeek90

You need to keep the 'mickey' part in tact, as that's where the sensor is. I'm not sure what else you would be envisioning besides what's on your wrist or around your neck, as those are probably the most convenient places to have it for easy access.

Rob562

For a time there were a couple items for sale in the parks and on the Shop Parks app that were listed under the MagicBand section. They were plush, one shaped like Mickey's glove and the other Minnie's Bow, and had a clip on one end. I presume the intent was to put a Band onto the item and then clip it onto your belt or bag.

They both had the Mickey head icons on them, so they *might* have had MagicBand tech built into them, but I think the icon was just there to indicate where to position the Mickey head on your own Band for best use.

Neither was still on the app when I looked this morning.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
We (my friend and I - both nerds) have taken one apart. The issue with putting the guts into something else is that the long-range antenna is embedded in the rubber of the band, and actually wraps down into both "flaps". You essentially have to destroy that antenna when you take it apart, thus rendering any of those features useless (i.e. auto-linking on-ride photos).

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
I've taken apart a few bands already which is kind of where I got the idea. The long range stuff is mostly unneeded by my parents; I'd be along for all trips with my own un-modded band and I'm the only AP holder with photopass.

Ideally I'd like to just slice out the chipset to embed it in a new silicone/rubber case as part of a lanyard with badge reel and it still be usable on property to open doors, charge, hold tickets, and FPs.

Clamman73

I've taken apart a few bands already which is kind of where I got the idea. The long range stuff is mostly unneeded by my parents; I'd be along for all trips with my own un-modded band and I'm the only AP holder with photopass.

Ideally I'd like to just slice out the chipset to embed it in a new silicone/rubber case as part of a lanyard with badge reel and it still be usable on property to open doors, charge, hold tickets, and FPs.
I wonder if there's any fine print somewhere that states your magic band has to be intact for legitimate use at the turnstile. I.e. It's not OK to walk up to the turnstiles with just the chipset, even though it might turn the Mickey head green when put against it, the chipset must reside within the band in order for legitimate use.

Tom

Beta Return
I wonder if there's any fine print somewhere that states your magic band has to be intact for legitimate use at the turnstile. I.e. It's not OK to walk up to the turnstiles with just the chipset, even though it might turn the Mickey head green when put against it, the chipset must reside within the band in order for legitimate use.

Having interacted with many turnstile CMs last week (specifically because my mom's band and biometrics never worked, even after a supervisor came over and reset them every single time), I think it would cause severe mental anguish if a guest walked up and touched something other than a Magic Band or KttW card to the orb.

WillCAD

I've been expecting Disney to sell lanyard fobs or other RFID devices as an alternative to MagicBands, from the very beginning. I'm actually a little surprised that we haven't seen them as yet. I'd expect that besides the lanyard fobs, Disney might also market cell phone cases with the RFID hardware built in, or at least cases with attachment points, and the hardware would come in a separate package, so you could buy multiple cases and move the chip from case to case whenever you want your phone to wear a different suit.

There are a number of YouTube videos showing people cutting into MagicBands. Watching them carefully should give you enough information to make an attempt to take one apart without doing damage to the components. The antennae definitely run down the band on both sides; they appear to be forked, so they run on either side of the holes, all the way to the end of the colored portion of TPU.

I don't know what effect it would have on the whole device to cut off the long range antennae, or even to shorten them. Electronics tend to not like it when you remove parts, so I'd make an effort to keep it all together, even if you think you won't need the long range parts.

I think it's entirely possible to take one apart and mount the device into some other casing. At the same time, you could also make the battery replaceable; one of the minor drawbacks to the sealed MagicBand design is that the battery has a limited lifespan (estimated about two years). But the TPU seems to be injection-molded around the components, they're in there pretty tight and it's easy to damage them during disassembly. It may take you several tries to get one apart intact, and at $13 a pop, it could become an expensive project.

Frankly, given the size of the interior components, I can't imagine doing anything with them other than mounting in a credit-card-size fob of some kind that could be worn around the neck or hung from the belt.

Make sure you seal it up really well, too. Florida is a wet place and water is not a friend of electronics, not even low-voltage stuff like MagicBands.

FYI: Disney managers at the resorts have Mickey-shaped fobs on their neck lanyards with the short-range RFID gear in them; I've seen managers open resort rooms with these. I don't know if the housekeeping staff has them, but they appear to be some kind of passkey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom