Sony unleash the mirrorless f2.8 zooms

fractal

Also the A6300. Significant jump up for mirrorless and on sensor AF as Sony is claiming 8fps with no EVF lag. One more "yeah but" I don't have to hear about.

Clamman73

Also the A6300. Significant jump up for mirrorless and on sensor AF as Sony is claiming 8fps with no EVF lag. One more "yeah but" I don't have to hear about.
What would you use as another lens other than the kit 16-50 (people always seem to say it's a little meh for the camera), assuming for on-ride, walking down Main Street pics, either a zoom or prime with a reasonable (<$1000) price?

fractal

What would you use as another lens other than the kit 16-50 (people always seem to say it's a little meh for the camera), assuming for on-ride, walking down Main Street pics, either a zoom or prime with a reasonable (<$1000) price?

I rented the 10-18mm f/4 for my day trip last Summer. I loved the focal length range for WDW but found the performance a little bit of a let down. Not terrible, just felt I would have been better off using my 8mm fisheye and cropping where necessary. I also used the Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 (bought used for $575) which I loved. Great as a walk around and dark ride lens. I could easily see myself with the 24mm on camera and a small bag with the fisheye and a fast fifty.

fractal

The A6300 on sensor AF is similar to the sensor in the A7rii where as the phase detection points work with many lenses with an AF motor ( + adaptor).

donsullivan

Premium Member
I spent some time looking at the details of the new lenses they announced today and discovered something interesting. Every one of those lenses is physically larger and heavier than the Nikon equivalent spec lens for my Nikon DSLR and about the same weight and size as the Canon DSLR equivalent. It seems that with these FE lens introductions one of the early perceived benefits of the mirrorless evolution is negated. No longer is the gear any smaller or lighter than it's DSLR counterparts. One of the early perceived benefits of the Sony FE platform was the reduced size and weight. While the body may still be smaller than my D810, if all of the lenses are the same size/weight or larger, it seems my backpack would not get any lighter.

It will be interesting to see what benefits they emphasize in the marketing message with reduced size and weight no longer being a benefit with this new glass.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I spent some time looking at the details of the new lenses they announced today and discovered something interesting. Every one of those lenses is physically larger and heavier than the Nikon equivalent spec lens for my Nikon DSLR and about the same weight and size as the Canon DSLR equivalent. It seems that with these FE lens introductions one of the early perceived benefits of the mirrorless evolution is negated. No longer is the gear any smaller or lighter than it's DSLR counterparts. One of the early perceived benefits of the Sony FE platform was the reduced size and weight. While the body may still be smaller than my D810, if all of the lenses are the same size/weight or larger, it seems my backpack would not get any lighter.

It will be interesting to see what benefits they emphasize in the marketing message with reduced size and weight no longer being a benefit with this new glass.
I think they still have the advantage of being flexible in terms of weight and size.

If a traveller wants to be light and compact, they could go with the mirrorless body and an F4 lens. If there is a serious shoot taking place, the F2.8 comes along.

Despite the similarity of the lens weight, the mirrorless body is still a good bit smaller and lighter, so there is an overall saving.

Although I think ultimately, Sony are going to try and win on sheer performance alone. The size and weight won't be the primary factor.

fractal

Interesting interview regarding the new lenses...

Re-thinking basic assumptions
‘For the G Master lenses we decided we would assess the spatial frequency at 50 lines per mm,’ says Ohtake: ‘Usually lens makers, including ourselves, evaluate lenses at 10 and 30 lpmm (or 10, 20 and 40 for Carl Zeiss-branded optics).’

‘At the start of the process we all agreed we should change the spacial frequency [to a more challenging target],’ he says: ’but which is best to get good performance? We could design for 100 lpmm but the lens would become very bulky and long - which might not be a very practical lens. A balance of the size and the optical performance was very important.’

The target of 50 lpmm wasn’t dictated by the company’s 40MP camera or 4K video, he says. ’All our FE lenses were designed for at least 40MP. Because we have an image sensor team within Sony, we get to see the sensor roadmap, so we’ve been designing for this all along with FE. With the G Master we’d like to make lenses that can be used forever.’

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4410376132/sony-engineer-interview-g-master-lens-design

thomas998

Actually I've found that the balance of the Sony mirrorless cameras and their smaller size meaning buttons closer together and smaller are the biggest negatives. I only like the Sony mirrorless because it allows me to use some older lenses I have.... If I were starting out from ground zero with no existing lenses I would probably just go with Nikon or another full size DSLR because they feel more balanced... Unless of course I was doing video and not worried about it as a camera then the Sony might be equal or better depending on what video needs you had. I know Sony tried to push the small size as a plus but to me it wasn't a plus just something I was forced to deal with so I could use some old rangefinder lenses that I had stuffed in a closet.

fractal

The 85mm 1.4 is big. Here is the 85mm and the 24-70 2.8 compared to Sony A-mount and Nikon versions.

upload_2016-2-4_19-21-46.png

upload_2016-2-4_19-18-50.png

NowInc

Now we just need a decent ultra wide. I think thats the last big missing piece for them on getting a lot to switch over. I just wish all of this happened a year or so ago before I committed to going full frame (and thus purchasing all new lenses into the Nikon ecosystem)...it would have been FAR easier to switch.

afb28

Now we just need a decent ultra wide. I think thats the last big missing piece for them on getting a lot to switch over. I just wish all of this happened a year or so ago before I committed to going full frame (and thus purchasing all new lenses into the Nikon ecosystem)...it would have been FAR easier to switch.
the rokinon 14mm is pretty top notch from all reports and I'm pretty sure they have a solid 16-35 f4

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom