What's the best WDW secret you know?

irishmom58

I know a few neat little secrets about the attractions:

If you take the starboard (right for all you land lovers) entrance to Pirates, you'll come to a point where you can see two skeleton pirates playing chess. The particular game they are in is what you call a "deadlock" meaning they cannot move.

Also, if you pay attention to the ball room scene of Haunted Mansion you will notice that the chairs are the same as the one Captain Jack Sparrow sits in the end scene of Pirates of the Caribbean.
"John and Sarah" from Carousel of Progress turn up in a scene in Spaceship Earth - on the right hand side around Fall of Rome!

barkerbird

"John and Sarah" from Carousel of Progress turn up in a scene in Spaceship Earth - on the right hand side around Fall of Rome!
Interesting, I have never heard of this!

I have another cool fun fact: WDW's Swan and Dolphin have a huge error in design. The walls of the hotels are to reflect their respective animal, however, the paint scheme exterior of the Swan displays wave crests while the Dolphin displays grass blades :D
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

lazyboy97o

I have another cool fun fact: WDW's Swan and Dolphin have a huge error in design. The walls of the hotels are to reflect their respective animal, however, the paint scheme exterior of the Swan displays wave crests while the Dolphin displays grass blades :D
How is this an error? There is a whole convoluted narrative that explains the design of the hotels that stay rather intact throughout their development.

barkerbird

How is this an error? There is a whole convoluted narrative that explains the design of the hotels that stay rather intact throughout their development.
I think you're referring to this story from the designer: "His basic concept for the Dolphin was that it was an island formed by a sudden cataclysmic event—an upheaval by an underwater volcano or earthquake. When the island emerged from under the sea, it lifted dolphins out of the water, and these are the dolphins on the roof. The banana leaves on the side of the building are the tropical plants growing on the island. The mysterious “black box” was never intended for monorail usage; it was the heart of the island, which burst open from the sheer force of the events. Water went spilling down the outside of the building into that “dolphin fillet” [two-dimensional dolphin] pool, and then splashed over to the Swan. The railings and the curving landscape connecting the two hotels indicate waves moving from the Dolphin and splashing up along the side of the Swan. These are the waves that you see on the side of the Swan. Two swans were so entranced by this natural phenomenon that they alighted to watch it up close—and were turned to stone."

parkhopper1213

We spend far less on food without the dining plan and have more time to spend on the rides. I agree with the tip to ask for ice water at the restaurants. Its a good way to save money and stay hydrated.

When you need to sit for awhile and get out of the weather: Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Laugh Floor and the People Mover are great.
Buy ponchos at home from the dollar store. They are smaller and cheaper than the ones sold at the Disney Stores. Also bring a travel umbrella. The ones sold in the Disney store were $13-15 and fell apart after 1 use.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We spend far less on food without the dining plan and have more time to spend on the rides. I agree with the tip to ask for ice water at the restaurants. Its a good way to save money and stay hydrated.

When you need to sit for awhile and get out of the weather: Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Laugh Floor and the People Mover are great.
Buy ponchos at home from the dollar store. They are smaller and cheaper than the ones sold at the Disney Stores. Also bring a travel umbrella. The ones sold in the Disney store were $13-15 and fell apart after 1 use.
I'm not sure what the dining plan has to do with time spent on rides.

Also, please don't do the ice water thing...that is just cheap. If you can't afford a real drink, or are too lazy to pack your own, you don't need to spend money at Disney in the first place. Don't waste the CM's time. It's a very silly way to save money.

NonnaT

I agree with everything except the umbrella!
We bought one last year at AK for just under $10 and I'm still using it, every time it rains here in New England. AND, every time I open it, I smile because it says Disney!

NonnaT

Also, please don't do the ice water thing...that is just cheap. If you can't afford a real drink, or are too lazy to pack your own, you don't need to spend money at Disney in the first place. Don't waste the CM's time. It's a very silly way to save money.
Totally disagree with your judgemental post...
A lot of money can be saved by a family not buying bottled water. And guests are NOT wasting CMs time, CMs are providing a service for which they are paid! Also, requesting ice water may be providing 1 service sector employment per park per day when you add up all the water as well.
Each family does what they can to make ends meet and have a Disney Vacation.
Please be less snarky, and remember others may not be as financially blessed as you are.

parkhopper1213

The one time we had a dining plan we spent more time planning how we were going to use our food points than being on the rides. At the sit down places we could spend over an hour or more dining.
I don't appreciate the water comment. We order the water with our meal, so we aren't wasting a CM's time. As for spending money at Disney in the first place, by budgeting carefully we are able to be annual passholders and go 2-3 times a year.

Ripken10

What a ridiculous statement. There is nothing wrong with ordering ice water. In fact it can be a healthier choice for most.

wdwgreek

Why pay for water when water is free? It is the same in every restaurant in NYC for example. Have you ever gone to a café and gotten water? Tap water is free, if you don't feel like spending 2.50 on water that you can just as easily get from tap then why not. They have water fountains too, but I would rather get it Ina. Little cup then a facet were people slobber all day. Your post reeks of #privilege

bjlc57

to save a bit of money.. when we were at Pop Century.. I just bought the grits or just the oatmeal.. instead of the whole breakfest.. more of a tip instead of a secret..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom