MiceAge: TWO nightly firework shows coming to Disneyland this Christmas

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
According to MiceAge Disneyland Park will present two performances of the Disneyland Forever Fireworks show this holiday season. Performances of Paint the Night will also be held twice nightly along with two daytime runs of the Christmas Parade. All this on top of Fantasmic and all the usual seasonal entertainment and Season of The Force.

I don't recall DL ever having 2 complete firework shows on a regular schedule before. Am I right that this is a first?

TP2000

So we should expect Fantasyland to be closed for most of the evening?

That's a really good point. They must be planning to close the Fantasyland dark rides twice per night. What a headache! I wonder if anyone from TDA will go out at 5pm and help the CM kids close off lines and tell all those angry customers they can't ride Peter Pan? I doubt it, it will probably just be up to the 10 dollar an hour CM's to deal with that mess.

The real answer to deal with this epic over-crowding is.... eliminate monthly payment plans for APs, eliminate the cheap SoCal passes and have just the current Signature and Signature Plus offerings, then institute a demand-based pricing schedule for day tickets so that a Saturday ticket costs more than a weekday ticket, and a ticket at Christmas costs more than a ticket in September.

The free market has huge demand for the fabulously successful and desirable Disneyland product. Price that product higher to shrink the market and you have a winning combination.

And gosh-sakes, do all of this before Star Wars Land opens!

TP2000

They had the NYE fireworks twice last year which was a huge surprise. I don't remember them ever doing that before.

As for regularly scheduled shows, I think this is a first.

Actually, they have been doing two shows per night on New Year's Eve since the concept of Christmastime fireworks was invented in 2001 with Believe In Holiday Magic.

From 2001 to 2015 the NYE schedule had them perform the regular Believe show at 9:30pm (variable) and then the special NYE show at Midnight. They have also done low-level pyrotechnics off the Castle on the hour starting at 9:00pm counting down NYE across the country until it gets to California at Midnight.

Personally, I think the best NYE show is over at DCA in the World of Color area. The Midnight show there is very impressive, and you can celebrate with a legal glass of champagne in your hand.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. They had NYE fantasy in the sky twice last NYE. Once at 9 and again at midnight

Before that, the norm was Believe at 9:30 and NYE Fantasy in the sky at 12

I've enjoyed the DCA fireworks twice as they are great, but the 1:00 minute long non stop finale explosion at Disneyland is the star of the night. That said, I'll most likely not brave those crowds again anytime soon

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
So can anyone who visited DL over Thanksgiving able to report on how the twice-a-night firework shows went? I'm curious to know if it helped alleviate the crowds.

GiveMeTheMusic

So can anyone who visited DL over Thanksgiving able to report on how the twice-a-night firework shows went? I'm curious to know if it helped alleviate the crowds.

It was a spotty experiment. Due to winds this week a lot of shows were canceled. The second fireworks and PTN shows were very easy to walk up and see for the most part, but operations was heavily affected. Most nights small world would be closed for five hours or so because of the pyro schedule, and Fantasyland attractions would be closed close to or as long. Toontown closed at 5:30 each night and would just never reopen.

lego606

MagicBandit
That's a really good point. They must be planning to close the Fantasyland dark rides twice per night. What a headache! I wonder if anyone from TDA will go out at 5pm and help the CM kids close off lines and tell all those angry customers they can't ride Peter Pan? I doubt it, it will probably just be up to the 10 dollar an hour CM's to deal with that mess.

The real answer to deal with this epic over-crowding is.... eliminate monthly payment plans for APs, eliminate the cheap SoCal passes and have just the current Signature and Signature Plus offerings, then institute a demand-based pricing schedule for day tickets so that a Saturday ticket costs more than a weekday ticket, and a ticket at Christmas costs more than a ticket in September.

The free market has huge demand for the fabulously successful and desirable Disneyland product. Price that product higher to shrink the market and you have a winning combination.

And gosh-sakes, do all of this before Star Wars Land opens!

You overestimate how much Attractions CMs are paid.

D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
From MiceAge's rambling DLR update today:

"What has been successful is the novel twice-per-night fireworks shows that Disneyland tested last week. The hope was that it would relieve nighttime crowds and balance people across both parks, and it did just that. Peak in-park numbers were happening around 6:00PM and then after the first fireworks shows thousands of people were heading over to DCA while Disneyland’s in-park attendance moderated noticeably by the second fireworks show. It’s something they’ll only be able to do this time of year when the sun sets early, but it seems to have done the trick and will likely reappear for the busy two weeks of Christmas and New Year’s."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom